Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten tired of numb hands after just an hour of riding. Ideas I've heard so far:

1. Don't white knuckle and support your weight with your legs and back.
2. Get cushy grips.
3. Get a throttle rocker (got it, it does help).
4. Get straighter bars to reduce rotation stress on wrists.
5. Get weighted bar ends with rubber gaskets to dampen vibes.

I searched and found a discussion of Throttlemeisters and I'm wondering if those of you who have them have found it helps with vibrations (vs. OEM). I have also looked at the Manic Salamander bar ends, but I don't know how they compare. Do any of you have those?

·
Registered
482 Posts
karst said:
I've gotten tired of numb hands after just an hour of riding. Ideas I've heard so far:

2. Get cushy grips.

I searched and found a discussion of Throttlemeisters and I'm wondering if those of you who have them have found it helps with vibrations (vs. OEM). I have also looked at the Manic Salamander bar ends, but I don't know how they compare. Do any of you have those?
I have the Throttlemeister (heavy) and I can't say that it reduces vibes as compared to the stock bar end. What it does is allow you to take your right hand off and reflex/relax it, even if it's only for a minute. I can't imagine not having it now that I have one. Despite hearing negatives from some on installation and ease of operation, both are easy.

By the way I tried all the "budget" ones, Vista, NEP, don't waste your money, IMHO.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
maste said:
By the way I tried all the "budget" ones, Vista, NEP, don't waste your money, IMHO.

Why? I've heard positive stuff about the NEP. What kind of problems did you have? I don't want to use it for extended highway runs. More like 30 seconds on to shake out my throttle hand. Do they work well enough for that?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
karst said:

2. Get cushy grips.

What vibes?!?

·
Registered
482 Posts
crx81 said:
Why? I've heard positive stuff about the NEP. What kind of problems did you have? I don't want to use it for extended highway runs. More like 30 seconds on to shake out my throttle hand. Do they work well enough for that?
None of the NEP's work with our throttle housing. In order to have it seat properly next to the housing, you'll have to cut off the tab that is designed to hold it in place (designed for other bikes). Then you will have to somehow fasten it to the housing, I think somebody drilled into the housing and used a small screw, I personally didn't want to.

EDIT: I'll send you my reject (NEP) if you want to try it. Got the Vista Universal one here also :) Heck, I was almost a third of the way ($) to a TM before I got smart :cheers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could try it, but I was actually more interested in reducing the effect in the first place rather than being able to take my hands off the bars. I don't like doing that at speed anyway.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
maste said:
None of the NEP's work with our throttle housing. In order to have it seat properly next to the housing, you'll have to cut off the tab that is designed to hold it in place (designed for other bikes). Then you will have to somehow fasten it to the housing, I think somebody drilled into the housing and used a small screw, I personally didn't want to.
EDIT: I'll send you my reject (NEP) if you want to try it. Got the Vista Universal one here also :) Heck, I was almost a third of the way ($) to a TM before I got smart :cheers

Hmmm, that does sound like some modding to the stock throttle that I wouldn't want to do. Perhaps I'll have to break down and get the TM as well... Gee, I can only come up with $1,000 in mods that I have left to do... I'm running out of mods! :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
http://www.barsnake.com/

I put this in my bar, it helps a little but it's not the wonder cure. I don't think there is anything that would reduce the vibes completely.

rennsport said:
What vibes?!?
I get some really bad bar vibes when I'm riding, especially when I'm up high in the RPM range. If I take my hand off the grip and feel the bar itself it's really bad sometimes. Even makes my GPS vibe, so bad at times it feels like somethin you buy in an adult entertainment store that requires D batteries :lao
The wierd thing about it is the vibes aren't as bad at the grips for somet reason. Moving your hand from the grip to the bar is like a night/day differance. Not too sure why that is but if the grips did vibe as much as the bar itself I'd have problems.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's good to know about the bar snake. I was kind of hoping it would have a big impact. I still may try it out, though. Gel grips might help a little, too. Sad to say, it's also good to know that at least a few other people have a mirror-shaking, lever-rattling, hand-numbing vibration high up in the rev range, too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Sad to say, it's also good to know that at least a few other people have a mirror-shaking, lever-rattling, hand-numbing vibration high up in the rev range, too.
Mirror-shaking!!!! That's a nice way of putting it. At 70mph my mirrors look like a mirror in a NASCAR race ..... all's I can see is a shaking blur of an image of the cages behind me.
Actually, my handlebar vibrations are probably the reason I've had so many problems with my GPS unit. It's probably being rattled to death causing it to not function. I've been thru 4 units so far and am waiting for the 5th to get to me from the company.
I'm going to sell that unit and get a differant model that may stand up to the vibes better. Plus I'm getting a R.A.M. mount for the new model I get, maybe the rubber balls in that mount will help reduce the vibes that make it to the unit .... at least that's the hope anyway.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
greatzippy said:
Mirror-shaking!!!! That's a nice way of putting it. At 70mph my mirrors look like a mirror in a NASCAR race ..... all's I can see is a shaking blur of an image of the cages behind me.
Actually, my handlebar vibrations are probably the reason I've had so many problems with my GPS unit. It's probably being rattled to death causing it to not function. I've been thru 4 units so far and am waiting for the 5th to get to me from the company.
I'm going to sell that unit and get a differant model that may stand up to the vibes better. Plus I'm getting a R.A.M. mount for the new model I get, maybe the rubber balls in that mount will help reduce the vibes that make it to the unit .... at least that's the hope anyway.
I haven't had any problems with my Garmin eTrex.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Karst, have you tried gel padded gloves? The gel pad in the gloves is usually thicker and absorbes the vibration much better. Takes a little getting used to but tends to do a good job. I recommend them to my patients all the time who work in industries where they use tools that vibrate a lot, example, jackhammers, weed trimmers etc... and they help quite a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
greatzippy said:
Atleast the Nascar guys don't have to worry about whether the UFO flying up behind him is an unmarked police car with his lights off. I wonder how many troopers recognize that if they kept their lights off, they could catch a lot of speeders on buzzy bikes without pressing a radar tr*****. :lol

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
kevbelz said:
Atleast the Nascar guys don't have to worry about whether the UFO flying up behind him is an unmarked police car with his lights off. I wonder how many troopers recognize that if they kept their lights off, they could catch a lot of speeders on buzzy bikes without pressing a radar tr*****. :lol
Not to mention the fact that the NASCAR guys don't use their mirrors all that much since they have their little 'eye in the sky' friends.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know what the stock weight is? I can take one off, but why bother if you know already? I like the gloves idea. The padding would be in exactly the right place. And shot/sand would work too. I think I remember an old HD guy telling me about that way back before some of our forum members were born.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
greatzippy said:
http://www.barsnake.com/

I put this in my bar, it helps a little but it's not the wonder cure. I don't think there is anything that would reduce the vibes completely.

I get some really bad bar vibes when I'm riding, especially when I'm up high in the RPM range. If I take my hand off the grip and feel the bar itself it's really bad sometimes. Even makes my GPS vibe, so bad at times it feels like somethin you buy in an adult entertainment store that requires D batteries :lao
The wierd thing about it is the vibes aren't as bad at the grips for somet reason. Moving your hand from the grip to the bar is like a night/day differance. Not too sure why that is but if the grips did vibe as much as the bar itself I'd have problems.
Here is some theory in Dynamics. When an object (handle bar) vibrates, if excess energy is fed into the system, then that energy will go into higher "modes" (frequencies) of vibration. The most irritating mode is that one that matches the resonant vibration of our hand. The bar will vibrate like a combination of various skipping ropes - when such ropes are pushed into higher speeds of vibration, nodal points are seen - these are points that *don't* ocillate up and down. If you can find the nodal point on the handlebar than little vibration will be felt. Of course, if that spot is beyond the grips then its presence is useless for us.

There are two solutions in dynamics to this problem.

1) Dampen out the vibration energy. That is what the BarSnake tries to do.

2) Change the stiffness of the bar. Add some lead bar inside the handlebar will achieve this.

For both solutions above, the supplemental material most be *bound* to the bar. That is, *jamb* the addon product hard against the inside wall of the handlebar. The harder the better.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
10.75 oz, thanks.

What do you think would happen if I just stuffed the bar with construction adhesive?

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
karst said:
10.75 oz, thanks.

What do you think would happen if I just stuffed the bar with construction adhesive?
I've heard people say they've had good success with expanding foam. I don't think anyone can really say what will work in a particular situation unless they've actually done it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts