Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the weather this afternoon at work. At around 4:15 my boss told me that I could take off so I could miss the storm. As I was turning into my hood, this was there to greet me.

Everything was good until I was exactly one mile from my house. Trees were blowing in all different directions and the rain was that of a hurricane. Then, when I tried to slow down for the last turn...I went for the brakes and any input from me was were merely a suggestion. I finally got it slowed down to take the turn, but it was one of those pucker moments lol.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I genuinely LOVE riding in storms. It's so fucking stupid, but I love it.

Last summer we had a really bad one roll into Consort while we were building the hotel. The wall of cloud was black as diesel oil. we quit early, and I ended up pointing the VFR right at it and seeing what it was like.

we're just gonna say that was an event. :lol

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Wow that looks crazy. I rode from Hartford to New Jersey on Saturday in the rain for Supercross. It was nice in NJ, but cold and rainy much of the way there, but it ended up being a really fun and rewarding trip.

I ride in the wet a lot, I don't love it, but it really exposes your weaknesses as a rider. You have to be super smooth in all of your actions, otherwise, down you go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: CBR_Mike

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was pretty intense. I wish I could have gotten a better shot of it. but there were too many trees in the way.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
try sintered pads on your bike. water doesn't effect their performance.
my stock pads were organic and once wet, like you said, it wasn't happening. I got caught in a really heavy storm on top of a mtn and heading into a sharp left at about 50mph and realized my brakes are not working. yeah talk about panic mode.

after that it's been sintered pads and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I love storms, the way they look is so cool!
I have ridden in the rain a bunch but never during a storm.
People in LA start crashing into each other the moment it starts to drizzle a little so when there's a storm it's like all hell broke loose. :hide

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Storms and bad weather make for some incredible picture opportunities. I love it

Tell me about it!

my stock pads were organic and once wet, like you said, it wasn't happening. I got caught in a really heavy storm on top of a mtn and heading into a sharp left at about 50mph and realized my brakes are not working. yeah talk about panic mode.

I'm on Amazon now!

I love storms, the way they look is so cool!
I have ridden in the rain a bunch but never during a storm.
People in LA start crashing into each other the moment it starts to drizzle a little so when there's a storm it's like all hell broke loose. :hide
That little bit of water brings up the oils and shit. But yeah, same thing here in Fl. In fact, today, we had another freak storm popup and on the way back from a job and I saw 6 cars on the side of the road.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That little bit of water brings up the oils and shit. But yeah, same thing here in Fl. In fact, today, we had another freak storm popup and on the way back from a job and I saw 6 cars on the side of the road.
Yea, that's what I was told too. I generally try to avoid being out on the bike during the first 30 minutes just in case it makes my tires really slippery
But I feel like LA drivers start to panic in the rain, I've seen cars stop fast in the middle of the road because they're afraid to go through an inch of puddle water. :facepalm

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Yea, that's what I was told too. I generally try to avoid being out on the bike during the first 30 minutes just in case it makes my tires really slippery
But I feel like LA drivers start to panic in the rain, I've seen cars stop fast in the middle of the road because they're afraid to go through an inch of puddle water. :facepalm
Yeah. Here in NH, where I am now, I don't worry about the rain much, since there's enough of it that the roads don't get greasy. My wife gardens, and it was funny after we moved here and she was asking locals about watering the garden, and irrigation, and all of that, and they just looked confused. You don't do any of that here, water just falls out of the sky all over the plants, and they grow.

Back in San Diego (where I spent most of my life) it often goes for months without a rain. When that was the case, the first day of rain I would just stay home. Call work, call the clients, call whomever -- Rain Day, I'll see you tomorrow. Greasy roads, conflugumated drivers -- forget it. After one good rain, though, it was all washed off, and I was back out in it.

PhilB

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I've been caught in a few absolute downpours. Pretty neat. The looks you get from the cagers is priceless.

First sign of lightning and I'm looking to park somewhere safe though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet name change!

Yeah. Here in NH, where I am now, I don't worry about the rain much, since there's enough of it that the roads don't get greasy. My wife gardens, and it was funny after we moved here and she was asking locals about watering the garden, and irrigation, and all of that, and they just looked confused. You don't do any of that here, water just falls out of the sky all over the plants, and they grow.

Back in San Diego (where I spent most of my life) it often goes for months without a rain. When that was the case, the first day of rain I would just stay home. Call work, call the clients, call whomever -- Rain Day, I'll see you tomorrow. Greasy roads, conflugumated drivers -- forget it. After one good rain, though, it was all washed off, and I was back out in it.

PhilB

Thats funny!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts

That pucker factor with wet brakes only lasts a moment before full braking comes back though. And after you've done it a few times, you don't really notice it because you come to expect it.

I love riding in the rain and winds. An empty back road with pouring down rain and dark clouds is so relaxing with good waterproof gear on.

One thing I won't do though is lightning. FUCK that. Well, I have been through thunderstorms before, and I'm terrified the whole time... Just waiting to feel a tingle and then a snap. I realize the chance of getting struck is really low... But I just don't like it.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Cool freaking pic. I love riding in the rain and giggle like a schoolgirl when the back end is slipping out... that being said, if I saw that in front of me I'd have to change my pants when I got home, and not only because of the rain

1 - 20 of 29 Posts