Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
but, but, but, the cell phone comapanies make money........jeez. im all for stunting, but do it somewhere where ur not gonna take out other vehicles, including maybe mine. i've personally seen 2 people go down doing stunts at about 60mph in my hometown, and its not funny.

more power to you if u do it, but i guess just be safe, because it only takes one person to see one idiot on a motorcycle doing something stupid and endangering other peoples lives to get them to lump us all in the same group.

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
well................. stunters...................??

But gee, don't you think that was a little slanted??

we certainly don't need any bad press.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
Its those same citizens who are our law makers...

I am starting to believe the "sportbike" as we know it has numbered days...
I've believed it for a long time, and the shame of it is that the people who will cause it are the ignorant bastages who will tell you about how they "used to have one of them ninja's - it was badass and would do 200 mph and he could do wicked long wheelies on it, but he had to lay'er down"...

Which really means he was ignorant and didn't treat riding seriously, which resulted in him wrecking and being scared of riding again, but he has that great story about how he used to have a "badass ninja".

And the next time you get treated like an animal because you're riding a sportbike or you've got a helmet in your hand in the store, remember that guy.... Because he still thinks he's uber cool.

·
Ride.
940 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
They arent banning sportbikes. There are hundreds of things just as lethal in the wrong hands as a sportbike (like cars...). What should and will happen is stricter policies against them and thats ok with me.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
They arent banning sportbikes. There are hundreds of things just as lethal in the wrong hands as a sportbike (like cars...). What should and will happen is stricter policies against them and thats ok with me.

Be careful what you wish for.. I helped lobby against Sen Danforth's "Motorcycle Safety Act of 1987".

Had that passed, you would not have been able to own an import motorcycle over 750cc's, and there would have been a horsepower limitation on the 750 and lower bikes you could by. I think it worked out to the average 750 sportbike being limited to about 80 HP. for a 500+ pound bike.

Are you really O.K. with that?

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
These kind of tabloid TV shows make everything sound like its going to kill you. This week its renegade stunt riders, last week it was dogs' chew toys.

Do I endorse what these guys are doing? Not at all, but truth be told in almost 30 years of driving and 25 years of riding I have never actually seen a motorcycle go down on the street. Sure, every year or two I come up on a place where the cops are investigating a wreck or what have you but you would think that if stuff like this is such a serious problem that I would have seen it at least once across the decades and the hundreds of thousands of miles I have driven.

By comparison, in the same time I have seen two serious drunk driving accidents actually take place and numerous cell phone related mishaps. Reports like this need to have some sense of proportion.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
I agree with you to an extent Goober... But perception is much of it.. and I've seen several motorcycle accidents happen personally.. What's worse is that I've witnessed the wheelies through traffic at high speed while splitting lanes, high speed passes on the shoulder in suburban areas, etc...

And while I think the guys are idoits for doing it, I always wonder how the car drivers are thinking of it.. I especially love when we're on the road in our company truck with bikes in the bed and we drive through large cities on the interstate.. You get to watch kids see you with bikes and then commence to start doing the wheelies to show off... and I'm sure the drivers sometimes think that they are WITH us.

·
Apprentice wheelieist
833 Posts
Gotta love how they "terrify other drivers" by doing cool stunts that really only rarely result in an accident with another car. Personally I'd be ecstatic to see a stunt crew ride by me and start showing off, but I'd slow down so I wouldn't run them over when they crashed.

That show treats them like they're killing babies and trying to come up with an excuse for their atrocities.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
Do You think it's O.K. when a guy does a fly-by of unsuspecting people in their cars? It might be cool for the rider, and maybe he's relatively safe and within his limits.. but it still startles people and gives us bad PR.

I like to go fast, but it doesn't mean I should be allowed to shock people as part of it. It's a matter of mutual respect, and when riders disrespect others on the road, they lose any respect they might have had.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have nothing against stunting. I do think it's best done in places where it's a little safer like an abandoned parking lot or something but does anyone have any stats on how many people driving cars or other bikes are injured by people stunting on public roads?

I might just be playing devils advocate here but it doesn't seem like there are not many cases or "innocent" people being injured by stunters. And you'd think that if there were such cases they would be ALL over the news saying "SEE! Look what those hooligan on crotch rockets did!!"

As for "PR", honestly, anyone who forms an opinion about me based on the actions of other people, well, their opinion is pretty worthless to me.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have nothing against stunting. I do think it's best done in places where it's a little safer like an abandoned parking lot or something but does anyone have any stats on how many people driving cars or other bikes are injured by people stunting on public roads?

I might just be playing devils advocate here but it doesn't seem like there are not many cases or "innocent" people being injured by stunters. And you'd think that if there were such cases they would be ALL over the news saying "SEE! Look what those hooligan on crotch rockets did!!"

As for "PR", honestly, anyone who forms an opinion about me based on the actions of other people, well, their opinion is pretty worthless to me.
I hate stats, youcan make them say what ever you want them to say. Fatalities up 70%, but what was the increase in ownership? Are the fatality increases on par with the increase in ownership?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I understand the point that was trying to be made with the cell phone; more people die because they were talking or texting, not paying attention to driving. It is unfortunate that the police officer lost his life, but that had nothing to do with the motorcycles; he was not chasing them or responding to a life threatening situation. The people that report this shit are only looking for ratings, and have no interest in objectivity. such a damn shame.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Be careful what you wish for.. I helped lobby against Sen Danforth's "Motorcycle Safety Act of 1987".

Had that passed, you would not have been able to own an import motorcycle over 750cc's, and there would have been a horsepower limitation on the 750 and lower bikes you could by. I think it worked out to the average 750 sportbike being limited to about 80 HP. for a 500+ pound bike.

Are you really O.K. with that?
Thats not what I said. I'm ok with stricter policies on motorcycle safety (in the way of licensing, gear reqs, and harsh penalties for wreckless driving) Its going to be hard to pass a law banning a type of bike. There are WAY to many solid arguments against it.

I'm not familiar with the "Motorcycle Safety Act of 1987" but the truth is it didnt pass....for a reason.

·
Registered
808 Posts

This is a smart fella

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think that stunters are not as dangerous as they make them look like. Sure, they are the reason insurance rates rise but to blame them for the lifes of other people is sort of ignorant. When they stunt they are risking THEIR OWN life, if they crash against a car, they're the ones who most likely will die. Why don't they make a news special of cars that tailgate bikes, I believe that is dangerous and puts an innocent person's life in danger. The news is biased. Like they say "The more it bleeds, it leads". They will do anything to get people watching it, people don't want to hear about how much sportbikes are actually safer then any other type of bike. They want to hear about how much people died and shit like that. Just my .2 cents.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts