Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has been losing a lot of weight lately and just moping(sp) around. We took him to the vet last Thursday and spent about $220 in vet bills and still don't know what is wrong with him. The vet said that it could be diabetes(sp), but needed a urine sample. Took us about till yesterday, Sunday, to get it, in the mean time he is getting worse. My wife called the vet today and told him that we had it and told him about how he had quit eating and was worse off. He told her to bring him in.

It was to late, he had diabetes(sp), but there wasn't anything they could really do for him because he was to far gone.

All in all, we had to put him down. I love the cat but I new it was coming so I delt with it. The bad thing is that my 3 year old little girl loved him to death and is crying for him. She just isn't old enough to know what is going on. That's what really breaks my heart. :cry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Awwww, I'm really sorry r1crazzy. I know that has to be tough for your daughter. Really tough for you and your wife. I really wish you all the best, and again I'm really sorry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow really am sorry to hear this. I feel for you all especially your little girl. Our little poodle is coming up on her 10th birthday and I cant even stand the thought that theirs only 4 or so more yrs. We had her since 6 wks old.

Hope this pain moves quickly for your little family. Jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
wow, that sucks...

I had a cat with diabetes.. had to give him insulin shots twice a day for a few years until he got too old to take care of himself anymore... then we put him down. THe quality of life in his last year wasnt all that good though, he seemed to only move when he had to, and when he did, appeared to be in pain. SO when we did put him down, i didnt feel so bad.

at least with the 3 year old you can buy another pet and their attention will shift easily.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I suspect cheap commercial cat food is a big cause of diabetes in cats. The stuff is literally poison. I spend about 30 bucks for a 20 pound bag of Science Diet. Carefully rationed it could last you a month or more for 2 cats, which is ok as you shouldn't be feeding your cat that much food anyway. Buy good quality cat food, and dont overfeed, it should go a long way in keeping your cat(s) healthy.

·
Registered
898 Posts
bugeyed said:
I suspect cheap commercial cat food is a big cause of diabetes in cats. The stuff is literally poison. I spend about 30 bucks for a 20 pound bag of Science Diet. Carefully rationed it could last you a month or more for 2 cats, which is ok as you shouldn't be feeding your cat that much food anyway. Buy good quality cat food, and dont overfeed, it should go a long way in keeping your cat(s) healthy.
I worked for a vet for 6 years and this is right on...for both cats and dogs.
R1crazzy...sorry for your loss. Sounds like your kitty may have gone into kidney failure from the diabetes. That is common in older cats, especially those that are diabetic. Loss of a beloved companion is always tough.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
clearwaterms said:
I feed my cats Iams, and my dog Nuturo Natural choice, is this good stuff for my animals?
Probably not. The good stuff costs about 32 dollars for a 21 pd bag where I live. They are usually sold by pet stores and vet offices, grocery stores dont usually carry it. My cats are on Iams this month because I got into a motorcycle wreck and havent been able to travel except to the grocery store, but as soon as I get transportation they are going right back on Science Diet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i never shop for food anywhere but the pet store, and Iams was what was recommended to me by both the cat shelter that I adopted the two cats from and my vet. the fact that Iams is sold in grocery stores is good news, as I always buy it at the pet store. A 32# bag costs somewhere around $30. and the Nuturo Natural Choice is for the dog came recommended by the breeder. I just bought that yesterday and it is $34 for 40#, which is the same price as Science diet and almost as expensive as Eukanuba.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I had a black cat called “monster”, the cat was the meanest alley cat you could ever see. His ears were completely shredded from the countless cat fights (and a few dogs) But was also one of the friendliest cats you could ever meet.

The cat was born about the same time as I was and I had the cat until I was 18. He contracted FIV and died, that was a really sad day for me. I’m convinced he could of lived another 10 years had he not contracted FIV.

Anyway loosing a pet sucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sad thing is he was only 5 years old.

We switched our other cat to Iams and we feed our dog a more natural food.

Thanks for everyone's concerns

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know what it's like to lose a cat to diabetes. It's so hard on them. They're poor little bodies just can't take it.

Bugeye is correct tho. Feeding crappy food like Alley Cat, Purina etc. is crap! There is to much ash content in um, and that is one of the leading causes in feline UTI and leading to diabetes. IAMS, Science Diet, Eukanuba etc is actually really good food. Every time you buy food for cats, check the ash content. It should be very low in the percentage lists.

As for FIV, best way to make sure cats don't contract it is to keep them indoors. Even with FIV shots yearly, cats can still catch it. It's just another form of AIDS. There is no cure for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts