Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a 2000k ride next month and am deciding on purchasing options for luggage. Since I don't have much extra money for proper gear (tailbag, tankbag, etc) I was considering either using my expedition camping style backpack (about 60liters size) or strapping a dufflebag onto the passenger seat. I would think fatigue would the biggest concern with the pack loaded, but what about aerodynamics? (The trip is mostly flat prairie land with LOTS of wind). Any advice or similar experiences that could help me out would be greatly appreciated. :cheers

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The lower profile you can go, the better off you'll be. A backpack of that size might be a bit rough, but I don't have much experience with riding with a full pack.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Get the bike luggage. You'll be glad later on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really an option to purchase some luggage. This season anyway..... Looking for the safest alternative option.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd probably wear the backpack before trying to strap an equivalent duffle bag to the bike. I've ridden with a backpack in some high wind situations and it's not horrible. In fact, it sometimes felt like it may have helped interrupt the air flow in a good manner.

That having been said, I hate wearing backpacks and definitely suggest you get luggage. Heck, even a good size tank bag would be better.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I definitely prefer to strap the luggage on the bike, rather than wearing it. I can't wear a pack with any significant weight in it for more than an hour or so before it starts hurting my shoulders (on the bike). If it's big enough to stick up into the wind above your helmet, it will be even worse. Just strap a bag to the back seat and spend a little bit of money on a decent sized tankbag. You'll be able to move around on the bike easier, and the tankbag is nice to lay on when you need a break from the wind.

Edit: Consider getting a throttle lock for the trip, too. Your wrist will thank you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't pay much over $100 for my Nelson Rigg tailbag and saddlebags I would definetly suggest goign that way. Being in ND its windy all spring and most of the summer and 20-25mph winds is quite common here and I don't even like having the tailbag with on thoose days. Anything that the wind can't catch helps and I'd imagine that a backpack would be horrible for catching winds. Even look into just the saddles bags you should be able to fit 4 days worth of stuff in them I found them on closeout at denniskirk don't know if they still have any.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say get some kind of luggage. I use a backpack for school, and have my laptop, book, and other junk in it, and I don't really like the 30 minute drive down 85. My shoulders get tired and I'm ready to strap it to the back seat. Get whatever you can afford. Check JC Whitney online, they have some stuff for a low price. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
For those of you that use backpacks that hurt your shoulders, look into a daypack used for hiking. It's the same size as a normal book bag, but it has a hip belt that SHOULD be used to support the weight of the bag. The shoulder straps are just there to keep it from falling over backward.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

·
Sigh.......
291 Posts
if you dont have any $$$ to spend on gear, i would recomend a duffle with bungee cords and straper' down to the passager seat. Your comfort will be more important over the long haul.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Personally I hate wearing a packpack when I ride. First off it makes my back sweat, on top of it I feel consticted in a way.
For a really long trip like ur planning some form of luggage would be best I think. You'll probably feel alot better not carrin additional wieght on your back after all those miles. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about it on breaks & gettin gas. Much easier to get on & off the bike without the extra pounds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before I got the Cortech saddlebags I wore a backpack. I have to say that the saddle bags were a great investment. You can carry a ton more and you don't have to sacrifice comfort. However if this is not an option, then I would say go with a low profile duffel bag and bungie cords.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts