Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding to this area since the late 80's (damn - that's a long time). Anyway, we discovered a new place to stay in the Lajitas area right on the Rio Grande. I rode my Ninja 1000 and the other guys were on GS 1150's (2) and a Super Tenere.

Outbound: first stop at Ft. Lancaster

The road south to Study Butte. I worked on a new Givi land speed record, but I have been faster on other bikes with soft bags.

Our patio on the river.

Lots of fires:

In the National Park

The next day there was construction on the way to Presidio. We waited about 15 minutes for the pilot car and there was no one behind him. Then a few minutes later a line of Harley's showed up; apparently they weren't keeping up with the pilot car F150.

We rode over to Riudosa but the bar there closed down. We sat and had a cigar before heading back to Presidio. It was so quiet my buddy sat on the centerline. He could have stayed there the entire time. The picture was funny enough that I made a motivational poster out of it.

I had to get back for something Sunday afternoon, so we droned back on I-10 from Fort Stockton - all but the last 30 miles is posted at 80, so it helped get it done. I am going back in February, staying in Lajitas at the resort.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man I am jealous! I want to make a run through there really bad. Cigars, friends, amazing scenery! Where was your camp site in the pic where the bikes are parked on the pad? Also, any good places to eat out that way?

Geoff

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I am jealous! I want to make a run through there really bad. Cigars, friends, amazing scenery! Where was your camp site in the pic where the bikes are parked on the pad? Also, any good places to eat out that way?

Geoff
That is actually the patio of the cabin we rented on the river about two miles west of Lajitas. The restaurant at the Lajitas resort is pretty good as is the Starlight in Terlingua. The gas station in Study butte has a good restaurant for breakfast. Fort Davis and Alpine each have good places but they are a long haul from the river.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like a great time!

A friend and I rode out there last year from San Antonio. We made a long weekend out of it and camped at Big Bend and Davis Mountains State Park. I made that trip on a Harley and I imagine that it would be hard to do that on my CBR due to the long ride and no real storage capacity. That stretch from Terlingua to Presidio sure would be fun though.

What is the name of the cabin place? Based on those pics I think I might try it next time we go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a great time!

A friend and I rode out there last year from San Antonio. We made a long weekend out of it and camped at Big Bend and Davis Mountains State Park. I made that trip on a Harley and I imagine that it would be hard to do that on my CBR due to the long ride and no real storage capacity. That stretch from Terlingua to Presidio sure would be fun though.

What is the name of the cabin place? Based on those pics I think I might try it next time we go.
The cabin is called the Rock House. The owner of the Holland Hotel in Alpine owns it so you should be able to call them to get details.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Big Bend is an amazing place to ride. Still contemplating buying some land out there some day so I can ride and shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts