Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old video of my riding the Back of the Dragon (US16) the first time. The road runs from Tazewell to Marion, 32 miles of awesome riding (this video doesn't show the whole road, got dark, and the other half was just unusable. But if you haven't rode this road yet and you're around the Eastern US, it is well worth the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNV7syc1pQ&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
lol that is some slow riding. The curves look really tame for the most part, how is the gravel situation on the road? I read a few posts of people complaining of gravel in the curves where people in cars/trucks run off the road and throw it all over the place in the corners.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Nice video. Have you got the camera on top of your helmet? That's one angle I've never tried. I have a contour that mounts on the side of my helmet, but my gopro most often goes somewhere on the bike. Or maybe on the chest harness.

I don't think I've been on that road. I've been on Hellbender leaving the gap, which I like a lot more than the TOTD. In fact, the dragon is probably my least favorite road up there. It's a destination, that's all. The roads to and from are more enjoyable by far, for me.

Your riding looks fine, btw. Nothing wrong with staying in your comfort zone. :cheers

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol that is some slow riding. The curves look really tame for the most part, how is the gravel situation on the road? I read a few posts of people complaining of gravel in the curves where people in cars/trucks run off the road and throw it all over the place in the corners.
it's a road, not a race track. And yea the gravel is pretty rough at some points. As for the curves looking tame, it's the gopro that does that, fish eye lens isn't the best for showing the curves.

Nice video. Have you got the camera on top of your helmet? That's one angle I've never tried. I have a contour that mounts on the side of my helmet, but my gopro most often goes somewhere on the bike. Or maybe on the chest harness.
yea, it's on the top of the helmet, I really don't care for it though, just thought I'd try it. I like the videos of the camera mounted to the side of the bike much better. Haven't tried riding with it on my chest though.

I don't think I've been on that road. I've been on Hellbender leaving the gap, which I like a lot more than the TOTD. In fact, the dragon is probably my least favorite road up there. It's a destination, that's all. The roads to and from are more enjoyable by far, for me.
I do love riding the tail of the dragon, but I don't understand those that travel there and don't explore all the other roads. So many great roads there including Hellbender. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
it's a road, not a race track. And yea the gravel is pretty rough at some points. As for the curves looking tame, it's the gopro that does that, fish eye lens isn't the best for showing the curves.

yea, it's on the top of the helmet, I really don't care for it though, just thought I'd try it. I like the videos of the camera mounted to the side of the bike much better. Haven't tried riding with it on my chest though.

I do love riding the tail of the dragon, but I don't understand those that travel there and don't explore all the other roads. So many great roads there including Hellbender. :)
Yeah it is not a racetrack but that was cruiser speed & lean angles ;)

I am not too far from that road, I actually rode past it earlier this summer but did not go on it. I may check it out but the curves do look a little tame compared to a lot of roads in this area. How are the police, do they heavily patrol that road?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts