Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm glad to be back!!! My past username was RedGoShow and at that point in time I owned a 1993 Suzuki RF600R... 3 years have passed since I sold it. Now I have the opportunity to get back into the scene on a free bike/bikes. A friend called me the other day and offered me his old 1983-85 Honda VF 750 with another 750 for parts and a 1000 for parts. Since you can get nothing for free I decided to take it on.

I would like some input from experienced riders on the VF 750... Reliability, maintenance, personal experience??? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Keep in mind I'm getting this all for free... yes I could buy a "better" bike however I want to tear this one down and build it up.... plus it's free!!!

The complete bike will not stay in 2nd gear however the parts bike's trans. is in perfect working order... well before it dropped a valve. As for the rest of the bike I plan on going over almost everything, cleaning, repainting and in the end turning it into a streetfighter...

Anything in particular that I should look out for? I have heard story about cams letting go... Also I heard that you need a "special" tool from Honda to adjust the valves.... Anyone? Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, yes I used the advanced and regular search functions.... however I couldn't find anything... :rolleyes Maybe I'm sad.... lol.

Ryan

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
They are good bikes. They do not do anything really well or really bad for that matter. It is fun getting quality front rubber in 16" sizes. The major problem that I remember is that the oiling to the head was not well designed and that caused the cams and followers to have their case hardning chip off which led to the parts going south and with 4 cams and 8 followers it can get expensive to fix. I do not remember any special tools to adjust the valves. One neat feature on them was thay had a one way bearing in the clutch to keep the rear wheel from locking up on downshifts just likke the new bikes with back torque limiters or slipper clutchs. Get it up and running and go have fun on it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had an 84 Interceptor.

kmn458 pretty much has it down.

The cams were replaced under waranty for the first year, and sometimes parts but not labour adinfinitum to the original owner (shop dependant). The cams tended to wear rapidly and got a reputation for it, to such an extent that many shops would hose you for new cams wether you needed them or not. Honda did have a special tool that allowed you to adjust the valves on the forked rocker arm so as to put the exact same setting on each fork to lessen any eccentric loading that might accelerate cam wear. I don't think it helped much. A top end oiling kit pumping more oil to the top end may have been a little more help. Replacing cams every 25000 kms can get a bit expensive, but worn cams will seldom leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Metzler Komp K tires did wonders on that bike.

There is a mounting bracket for a steering damper. With that 16" wheel you should mount one on there.

I wore out my steering head bearings a little fast, but perhaps I was a little hard on the poor beast.

That "slipper" clutch can cause you to build some pretty sloppy habits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Awesome, thanks for the input... if anyone else has anything to add feel free, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

As stated previously, I understand that this isn't a top notch bike.... lol, that was the whole reason for me getting out of the scene.... however it's free and it would be fun to bomb around with... especially in streetfighter trim....

I'm picking it up next week and will be tearing down the engine to see what I need to do/replace. Then I'll take it from there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had 2 750's and 1 700 and the only problem I had outside of the cams ( That I can still remeber) was they used a plastic T between the carbs, and probably just me, but I bet I broke about 6 of them over the years taking the carbs on and off. But over all they were pretty dependable and comfortable to ride. I may even have an old set lowers in the garage attic for it. :lao

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
advodka said:
I had 2 750's and 1 700 and the only problem I had outside of the cams ( That I can still remeber) was they used a plastic T between the carbs, and probably just me, but I bet I broke about 6 of them over the years taking the carbs on and off. But over all they were pretty dependable and comfortable to ride. I may even have an old set lowers in the garage attic for it. :lao
Yeah, I remember those T's being very brittle to work with. I cleaned the carbs on this bike 2 years ago for the owner/my friend. Something else to add to the parts list. :rolleyes :)

Good news!!! My buddy stopped in tonight with the registrations... all 3!!! lol. He will be dropping off the second 750 engine and frame next weekend. This week coming I'll start working on the complete engine to find out what I'll need. :banana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts