Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm planning a business trip to Austin in a couple weeks and built in a free Saturday. I found a place that rents really nice bikes, so I was thinking about riding from Austin to Llano down rt 16 to Fredericksburg and back to Austin to return the bike and catch my 6pm flight.
Am I missing any 'must see' places, or need to watch out for anything like deer apparently?
I'm trying to rent a Tuono :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Last time I was there I rode around the Lake Travis area.

I rode north-west from Austin up to Bee Cave and then the good roads started when I went counter-clockwise around Lake Travis. One of the roads that follows the lake is called Lime Creek Rd. (it's really twisty, with great views of the lake). That road takes you to Cedar Park, and then from there I went west to Marble Falls (can't remember the road's name but it was the main one that goes in that direction. I think it was two lanes and it had some nice sweeping turns.). Then from Marble Falls I went south to Johnson City (this road was pretty straight, nothing special), then I started going east back towards Austin on a small back road that had some nice turns and good views (I think the road was called Robinson Rd).

I was riding a Harley that I rented but I still had a great time. The roads are really nice. Lime Creek Rd would've been amazing if I was riding sportbike at the time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I was able to work out your route on Google maps, the roads look great on the map but you never know till you get there in person, so it's nice to get input.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lime Creek Road is a great one. My favorite route into town (im close to cedar park).

Give FM1431 a try out to marble falls, if you have time. Its fun, and my "go to" for a lazy sunday ride.

While in Llano, stop for lunch at Coopers BBQ. Best around.

If you find yourself in Marble falls, take PR4 (park road 4) but beware... all the bikes have park rangers on high alert.

Sounds like you have a great route planned anyway, so you can't go wrong there!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Lime creek is alright. Do NOT ride it fast, you will bite it very easily as many first timers there do.

PR4 is fun, not bad at all, but definitely not the best roads in the area.

PM me when you're in town, I will gladly join you for a ride.

I'd post up other routes, but cops around here hate bikers as is, so I don't want to share my places :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on going fast at all, I'll be on an unfamiliar bike that I don't own and I haven't been riding yet this year due to stupid IL weather.
I'll be there on Sat 4/6, I'll be happy to send you a pm, I can use the riding pointers, reading the books doesn't work if you don't practice right.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trip worked out great, I only made it to Marble Falls but had a great ride, I put 229 miles on the Tuono, what a great machine!
The saddle is a little on the hard side, but I could move around enough so it wasn't too bad.
I'm uploading video right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The roads are really nice. Lime Creek Rd would've been amazing if I was riding sportbike at the time.
Lime creek is nice, but there are a lot of driveways, some blind corners and a bunch of gravel, don't think it's the best road to be pushing limits. I did enjoy it at the speed limit. The whole area is nice, very scenic.

What kind of bike were you riding?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts