Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that you guys came, otherwise

:pisson2 you

I just noticed the new smilies. I need to check in here more often.

That being said, I need help picking between 3 sets of over the hear, closed headphones that I'm looking at. Also, feel free to give me recommendations if you have any. The criteria are:
  • Good Range
  • Compatible with (or has adapter for) phone, computer, etc
  • under $50
  • minimal noise leakage, preferably closed back

After consulting with a friend, I got his opinion, but he is no pro (and will admit that to you). What I'm looking at are:

Sennheiser HD 202

Audio-Technica ATH M30

Beyerdynamic DT235

I'm personally leaning towards the Audio-Technica, but your feedback is approved :party

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I wouldn't bother with under $50 headphones.

I have a pair of pioneer HDJ1000s that sound pretty good. This is the 2nd pair of pioneer headphones I've had, not including having to replace my last pair after 3 months just because the pin got bent.

(I guess the link doesn't want to work)

I also recently picked up a pair of Bose headphones, meant for home/studio that sound really good. Can't recall the model, but they were more than you are wanting to spend also. Can't seem to find a link on them.

Both of those were more than you want to spend, but still on the reasonable end of the price spectrum. But you can't cheap out too much without noticing the lack of quality.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sennheiser. Although if you could handle spending $100 the hd 280s have lasted me years. Lots of studio time, worn in the rain a few times, handled overall roughly and they still sound great.

My next pair will be the wood burl hd 598s

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
+1 on Sennheiser. Bought my 280s in 2005 and they broke in 2013. Not bad for $100 considering that the sound was/is superb (for the money). I replaced them with the 380s and I couldn't be happier. So yeah, I'm not familiar with the other brands but I think whatever you choose the Sennheisers are always a safe bet.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend recommended the Senheisers, but a lot from what I've read recommend the Audio-Technicas over the Senheiser model I'm looking at. I have no plans to use them for any professional purposes, and while I don't want to cheap out, I don't have a lot of $$ at the moment. But after my Bose ear buds died yesterday (I had them since 08) I can't go back to crappy shit headphones like that crap apple makes.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I have only had bad experiences with those EXACT Sennheisers - they break quickly, even after only light/moderate use. The protective coating on the wires is flimsy at best and practically non-existent where the wires plug into the headset itself.

I would avoid that model completely. The higher-end Sennheisers are better, however. For yourself, if you want a good, solid, quality set of headphones... spend more money. IMO, $50-100 headphones are "built for a price point" headphones - they are only a little bit better than a pair of $25 headphones, but the difference between a pair of $50-100 headphones and a pair of $150-200 headphones is huge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts