Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just thought for once I'd contribute something to this forum. I recently decided to fix up my bike since I had the time and some extra cash. It had some damage on both sides and I was getting tired of looking at it. I took a chance and ordered a set of fairings from Auctmarts.com. After looking around, I wasnt able to find any recent reviews of them so here is mine. First off, my bike is a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R. It is the limited edition titanium color with red flames and red wheels. In the interest of not having to change my wheel color, I went with a fairing set that would match my wheels. This way, I'd only have to get the tank painted and I'd be all set. I ended up getting the b19 kit from their site which is black with red flames. I ordered the kit on Jan 5th for $539 shipped. The order process was smooth and they kept in touch with every update to my order. All emails were responded to within a day as well. I expected about 3-4 weeks before I would receive my kit. I received a tracking notice within ten days from Hong Kong. It said expected delivery to my house in FL was Jan 20th. Not too bad I thought. The kit arrived at my door on the 19th, a day early. Excellent. Fourteen days from order to delivery is much better than I was expecting. The box was well packed and everything inside was in good shape. Included with the order was a free tinted windshield, free heat wrap, and a free tankpad. I got everything unwrapped after about 30 minutes and laid it all out for inspection. To my surprise, everything looks really good. I found a few very slight imperfections in the paint but for this price, I wasnt expecting it to be 100% perfect. I also found one small run of clear coat. No biggie. Overall, I am very happy with the paint quality for the price. I also found three holes in the left mid fairing that had to be punched out. I applied a small amount of pressure with a drill bit and they popped right out no problem. During my wait for delivery, I went ahead and removed the factory fairings and detailed the bike as best I could so when the new kit arrived I could immediately put them on. I expected this process to be difficult but let me tell you, it was a piece of cake. I had the whole kit installed by myself in about 4 hours, and I'm no bike mechanic. This was a perfect fitment series and it was spot on. I didn't have to fight anything to get it in place. The pieces were flexible enough to go together with ease. I used a new bolt kit for the install which made it very easy to get the right bolt in the right place. I put the heat wrap all along the bottom and inside the mid fairings, and the sheet supplied was enough for that. I peeled off the foam from the factory tail and reapplied it to the inside of the new tail without much issue either. All in all, the install was smooth and the end result looks great. Ive taken the bike to a few paint shops to get some quotes on getting the tank painted and every person has commented on how good the fairings look. Most thought they were OEM fairings. When I told them they were the chinese ones, everyone was very surprised. One guy even said "Those chinese guys are getting effin good!" So far, Ive put about 800 miles on the bike since the install through a variety of weather including some hot days and some rain and I see no signs of heat warping or paint chipping issues. So in summary:

Order process:10/10 - I see no way to improve this area. It went great.
Shipping:10/10 - 2 weeks from order to delivery far exceeded my expectations
Packaging:10/10 - Everything was very well packed
Paint Quality:8/10 - Some minor air bubbles and a small run of clear coat but overall still quite good.
Installation:9/10 - Some holes had to be punched out but other than that, it was no more difficult than OEM fairings.
Overall:10/10 - I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. With price factored in, this kit can't be beat.

I have many more pictures if anyone is interested in specific areas. I will do my best to answer any questions anybody has as well. Thanks for reading. And Auctmarts, if you read this, thanks for doing a great job.

As a side note, what would you guys consider a good price for painting the tank a gloss black to match? I've been quoted between 150-200...is this good or should I keep shopping?

Attachments

·
5,366 Posts
would have been nice to see a picture of the inside of the fairings because thats where theyre usually junk Oh well glad they worked out for you

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Glad to hear that the paint is better. That was one of the complaints I heard about the auctmarts stuff back in the day. Apparently you had to wrestle the fairings into place, and by the time you flexed them a bit, the paint would crack.

Every review I hear about them sounds like they're really improving.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Nice review. I'm going to be shopping for a new set for the F4i here pretty soon and they are one of the places I've been shopping.

·
5,455 Posts
DON'T GET RID OF YOUR ORIGINAL FAIRINGS!!!

even if they have a little bit of rash on them, personally i would rather buy a bike with rashed original plastics than aftermarket fairings. when you see aftermarket bodywork most people (at least me) assume it was wrecked but if the damage isn't visible, then i tend to be a bit skeptical.

the bike looks good though

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
DON'T GET RID OF YOUR ORIGINAL FAIRINGS!!!

even if they have a little bit of rash on them, personally i would rather buy a bike with rashed original plastics than aftermarket fairings. when you see aftermarket bodywork most people (at least me) assume it was wrecked but if the damage isn't visible, then i tend to be a bit skeptical.

the bike looks good though
Luckily for me I plan on riding this F4i until it's dead, so I won't have to worry about it, not to mention my fairings are pretty trashed from my buddy laying it down twice before he gave it to me. Nobody in their right mind would buy my bike as is with the trashed fairings.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Wow, you are easy to please, lol.

Paint bubbles and clear coat runs and it still got an 8?

If it were me, I'd get plain jane fairings, and get them painted here in the USA. I can paint it myself, so I don't worry about paint.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm glad you got lucky with the set being good overall, but for the price it seems like you could have bought better quality stateside.

·
CIAO SuperSic....
767 Posts
I'm glad you got lucky with the set being good overall, but for the price it seems like you could have bought better quality stateside.
Really? A WHOLE set of fairings+windscreen+tank protecter for 550$. Show me one place in the states you can find that is cheaper than that and isnt already from china.

Im also a auctmart customer and had a great experience buying from them. My stock fairings are upwards of 2500$. Cant beat the price.

Here is a recent pic of mine, this is already 2 year old fairings, and nothing is wrong with them.

Attachments

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
Meh, between the paint bubbles, clear coat runs, enlarging mounting holes, and wrestling the fairings into position; I find them not to be that great of a deal. On top of that, you have to watch for the exhaust, and make sure that the fairings are heat protected, or they will melt/crack...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have lots more pictures but I ran into my limit for storage size. I must say, the paint bubbles are so insignificant that I couldnt even get pictures that captured them. We are talking about maybe three little bubbles the size of a pinhead that can barely even be felt when running your hand over them. I'm not even sure I could find them again. As for the small run of clear coat, its not a big deal either. Bottom line is this, if you want perfection, spend the $2500 and go with OEM. If you can live with pretty freaking good, these are a great deal at $550.

·
Registered
859 Posts
im not going to lie. they have a great price and a great product. but if you are totally "slow" and cant even make some holes b***** or cant align stuff properly then its not for you.

and yes always keep the stock fairings and then get them fixed up or something

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've had a set for four years now. I had an early version but they still fit with very little effort. I'm replacing them this off season with all carbon (painted of course, raw is too garish).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I should also add they considerably lighter (read: thinner) than your OEM fairings, which may be a plus if you're looking to loose some weight on the cheap. Here's mine:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lifesaver

Your review is the first I've read of Auctsmart since '09. I ordered fairings about a month ago. The only difference between you and I is mine are stuck at customs. At no fault to the company, but I'm an American Soldier stationed here and the German Customs wants me to pay an extra 140 Euro to get them released. There is only one way to get out paying that duty and that is with an invoice, which I noticed I never received. Did you ever receive an invoice of everything single item that was coming your way?

·
Banned
827 Posts
I've been through two sets of Auctmart fairings. The first set completely melted near the exhaust. I ordered a new set, and made sure to put copious amounts of thick heat matt along the inside of the fairings, and this seemed to do the trick. The paint is absolutely of horrible quality (for both sets), the clear coat flakes off very easily, the basecoat also chips easily. The plastic itself is thinner, weaker, cracks easily, and has a much lower melting point than the OEM abs plastic. You still can't beat the price ($500.00 for a whole set). OEM fairings are superior in every way, but if you are dirt poor, the chinese fairings are a good alternative to make a wrecked bike look some what decent. Since I sold the gsxr, I vowed never to use these cheap fairings again for my street bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts