Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a wreckless driving ticket the other day for passing a bus. that was the only reason i was over the speed limit, but anyways its my first ticket or anything. and i was actually gonna be moving outta state in a week what should i do? any help i would really appreciate

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not a police officer but I do have some experience with tickets..

1) Do not ignore the ticket.. most states share information so if you don't pay, you won't be able to renew your driver's license in a new state.. example.. I got a ticket in California.. never paid the ticket because I was moving to Denver.. I couldn't renew my license until I took care of the ticket in California

2) Did you ticket come with an option for a guilty plee which will reduce the points? If so, that might be the way to go

3) Dispute it in court.. good luck.. *I've* heard that if the cop that wrote you the ticket doesn't how up, they drop the case. But I have no experience with this.

4) Pay the ticket and take driver's safety class.. that will get rid of one ticket from your record (at least that's what I did in California)

5) get a lawyer.. but that would cost more than the ticket

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have heard of a lot of cases where people pay the tickets from another state but the state never sent the information back up to the state the person resides in.

It's mostly a take your chances ans see what happens type thing when you pay for the ticket. You may get lucky and they wont send the info to florida.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's what happened with me. I got a ticket in GA and it never made it back to Indiana after I paid for it. Guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you take the driving class for it, then you wont have to pay for the ticket. Just the class, and the ticket will be wipped off your record.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this class available in every state? and if so how do i go about signing up for it or will the court tell me?

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
you can sign up online too...just do a search in google, msn or whatever search engine.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
BrownRob said:
I'm not a police officer but I do have some experience with tickets..
1) Do not ignore the ticket.. most states share information so if you don't pay, you won't be able to renew your driver's license in a new state.. example.. I got a ticket in California.. never paid the ticket because I was moving to Denver.. I couldn't renew my license until I took care of the ticket in California
2) Did you ticket come with an option for a guilty plee which will reduce the points? If so, that might be the way to go
3) Dispute it in court.. good luck.. *I've* heard that if the cop that wrote you the ticket doesn't how up, they drop the case. But I have no experience with this.
4) Pay the ticket and take driver's safety class.. that will get rid of one ticket from your record (at least that's what I did in California)
5) get a lawyer.. but that would cost more than the ticket
+1
Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about the ticket. I'll look into this some more at work tomorrow...
1)In your state, is Reckless an arrestable offense? Not that you were, but could you have been?
2)In you state, is it punishable by possible jail time?
(It is where I am)

If yes, don't be alarmed, but DO take it seriously! Consult with a Lawyer who specializes in traffic cases, asap.
If you ignore this one, it will come back to haunt you... You most definitely will have a bench warrant out on you
and will be locked up if you are ever stopped in that state in the future.
Not to mention, other hassles that could follow you wherever...
Take care of it, you'll be fine. You will NOT serve time, it WILL be reduced, if you take care of it!
PM with any questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
skoivu1121 said:
do points from one state carry over to another state? for example michigan to florida?
It depends on the states. When my friend moved from WA to CA, none of the WA points carried over to his CA license.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts