Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attention: Fork pinch bolts advice!

Performance Upgrades- Proper Front Wheel Installation | OnTheThrottle.com <--- Watch this video and see what im talking about.. You'll understand.. And if you have the problem.. Pushing the fork out as your tightening down left side pinch bolts will fix your problem.. My wheel spins 3-4 times around on its own.. :) :) The video shows how easy it is to improperly install a front wheel by tweaking the fork tube when tightening the front axle.

People who have sportbikes or touring bikes needs to check there pinch bolts. After you tighten down the front axle bolt.. Before you tighten the left side pinch bolt, be sure to slide your fork outward when tightening the pinch bolt.. So, it wont cause the left fork to bind up and be slight crooked and not straight. when your looking from the front.

If you cant spin the front wheel freely and its dragging, or making a SHH, SHH , SHH noise when you spin it, or spins and catches in 1 spot all the time when you spin the wheel.. Then your fork is slightly crooked.. It will cause of alot of vibration and shaking in the handlebars. pads dragging, rotors warping, blah blah.. So, i want to make sure my fellow riders know what im talking about and check there front fork legs pinch bolts..

This is for NEW bikes on showroom floor, Used bikes.. All bikes..

EDIT: The 2 front pinch bolts are 16.5ft lbs.

·
5,366 Posts
LoL i got my sv back from a "shop" and they had tightened down the pinch bolt with only half the axel inside the bottom of the right fork (same bike as in video). Good thing to keep in mind.

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.. I didnt know anything about it either.. Til i saw the video and I went to go do what the video guys like Dave said, and the draggin i had was GONE.. I was like holy shit.. I was chasing after this problem for couple months and still couldnt figure out wtf is wrong with the front end of the bike.

I was chasing a problem where I would spin my front wheel and it would keep catching in one spot .. and all the other spot was freely.. It had a a little more drag on it then normal.. I bought new driven wave rotors from motosport.com and it kept doing it to these too. i was clueless.. Then i decided to loosent he pinch bolt on the left and pull the fork out and retighten and then spin the wheel.. (Holy Smokes) my problem was gone and it would spin so freely.. it would spin 3-4 times around til it stop when i spin it by hand.. It was so smooth and quiet.. the lil shaking in the forks went away... It made my riding so smooth.. It makes me love my bike all over again.. Lmao

I can't believe something so little, can make a big diffrence. I just wanted to make this thread and throw it out there for people who are having trouble with the front brakes dragging, or the front wheel not spinning freely like it should..

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet!!! Thanks guys!! I knew it would help alot of people out!! :)

Your welcome everyone!

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
YEah, but it can happen anytime you remove the front wheel and go put it back on. Like, lets say you put the wheel back on, then axle back in and tighten the axle up..

When you tighten the Axle up it pushes that left fork or right fork inward a bit and makes it slightly crooked. It will cause bunch of problems with your fork not compressing smoothly, bunch of vibrations and shaking and bouncing, it will cause your rotor to warp over time, pads warping, piston damage, caliper damage, wheel bearing damage.. Stuff like those.. Its always good to check to make sure its lined up straight before you go ride..

It dont take but like a min to do and its worth it!!!

If I never saw that video.. I would still be chasing that problem for the rest of my life. :lol :lol

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just looked at my bike and the video again, I think my problem are those stupid magnets for the hal sensor (or the rotor itself). Oh well; thank you for posting the link.

·
Are we not men?
9,009 Posts
Didn't watch the video yet, but I just knew Dave Moss had to be involved. The guy knows his shit!

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
yeah! i've been doing it right! i always pump the front suspension before tightening the pinch bolts. don't know where i learned it, but i did.

·
Fast bikes fan
2,120 Posts
Very cool. Im having new tires put on tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i will have to rewatch that video again when i put my track bike back together.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I picked a great time to read this thread. I just put my NoMar tire changer together and I'm going to replace both of my tires tomorrow.

Thanks, indeed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts