Sport Bikes banner

How many miles did you ride your Ninja 250 before you upgraded?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many miles did you ride your Ninja 250 before you upgraded?

i know there are many here that did, so i'm looking forward to a great turnout to the poll and thread. i would also greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to post a quick reply answering these few questions:

1) the year, price, condition, and mileage of the ninja 250 and what year you bought it

2) how long and how many miles you rode the ninja 250 for

3) what bike you upgraded to

4) reasons for upgrading (e.g. wrecked it and chose to get something else, got bored, wanted more speed, wanted more looks, felt ready to upgrade, 250 was only a stepping stone to begin with, still have it and still love it etc...)

let's try to keep this thread on topic, honest, and objective. please no needless posts and sidetracking posts like "i know what you're trying to do, get a 250 anyway" or similar statements of extraneous nature, because it really isn't my intention. i've realized my in-depth posts tend to be thread killers due to the general short attention span of peoples, so i'll explain why i made this thread/poll if you're interested further down for optional reading haha.

my goal is to have a thread that collects a lot of FACTUAL data, which new riders can use to determine how much they should expect to pay, and how long people typically ride them for.

after over 2 years of reading, analyzing, and thinking of my situation and circumstances, i've narrowed down my choice of first motorcycle to 3 bikes for various reasons. they ended up being 2003+ sv650/s, f3/f4/f4i cbr600, and 2007+ fz6, in that order. one of the main reasons being a $4000 budget. there has been a dark horse however: the ninja 250 (pre-2008).

you see, i have never been about speed. i've always loved driving, and my favorite aspects of driving are:

1) cruising with the windows down
2) tight suspensions, manual transmissions, shifting through gears, rev-match downshifting, hitting turns at a nice apex, flying through S turns, doing most braking on the straight before powering into a turn. (i blame gran turismo 3 for ps2 haha)
3) the sensation of accelerating, but not top speed and speeding.

i gave motorcycles a try by taking the MSF, and i fell in love with the sequential manual transmission and the stupid smile that was stuck on my face. it was like riding a bicycle hard without pedaling! i thought it was amazing.

i've never been a speed junkie, and i know deep down inside, that i'll love the ninja 250 if i started on it. i would mainly use my motorcycle for short trips on local roads to go to work, the gym, or play tennis, and i know the 250 will probably be all that i need. i'm torn however.

a part of me really wants to start on a 250, so i can know what it's all about, start slow, throw it around, and appreciate it. i feel like if i started on a b***** bike, it'll be like having sex with a big penis. i've read once you go big, it's hard to go back. i feel like i'll be spoiled and ruined, and will never be able to appreciate the ninja 250 if i started on the sv, cbr, or fz6 :(. the ninja 250 is also very enticing due to roughly half the cost, better mpg, and lower insurance rates.

on the other hand, i feel like i'll be fine starting on an sv650 or f3 cbr. while i totally agree with pushing completely green riders towards 250cc's, i'm confident i have enough knowledge and history to be ready starting on something b*****. i'm kind of wanting to be up to the challenge of starting on a non-250 or 500 and be able to tell what it's like starting on something faster. there are many of you that started on sv's or supersport 600's that don't recommend it, but it just makes me want to find out for myself, to prove that it doesn't have to be "get a 250 or die". i want to find out firsthand what it's like to start on one completely green outside of MSF, so i can provide honest insight to future riders.

i think it'll ultimately come down to the condition, mileage, price, and timing of the available bikes. whichever decision i make, i'll make sure to provide lots of detailed information of my initial experiences in conjunction with detailed information of my prior knowledge/experience, so that others can compare their situations to mine and learn from it. thanks for reading. hopefully the polls can sway me further :popcorn

·
5,455 Posts
brand new 2006 bought in May 06. paid a little over 3k OTD
put 12,150 miles on in 1 year, 4 months.
i bought it realizing that it was only my beginner bike, but didn't regret it at all. i don't remember ever thinking it was slow, just wishing for more power when rolling on in higher gears. i also wanted the look of a modern bike and a more aggressive riding position.

upgraded to an 05 SV650S that i put over 7k miles on in around 10 months. i was convinced by people online that V-twins were perfect for street riding and 600s were gutless (i have always lusted after the look and sound of i4 supersport bikes though and love my current ride). although at 130 lbs i never found the suspension on it to be soft, it was extremely harsh over bumps, launching me out of the seat often

·
Registered
66 Posts
Put about 3k on my brand new 2007 Ninja before moving up to a CBR 600 f4i. Never ever regretted it. I was still faster of the line than the majority of cars of the road so the power was never really an issue to me. Having more power at higher gears would be nice...but I never really went all that fast.

The best thing about the Ninja in my eyes, is that you can ride it to its limit. Few can ride modern 600+ bikes to their limits on the street. You can absolutely wring the Ninja's throat and not get in trouble.

1) Brand new 2007.
2)Rode for 2 seasons, put 3k on it.
3)CBR 600 F4i
4) Just wanted a b***** more modern bike to take some long trips on.

·
Awesomeness, Inc.
679 Posts
I started on a Ninja 500, so I didnt vote in the poll, but i'll put my 2 cents in. I had it for 2 years and about 12,000 miles before I added a zx-6r to the stable. Not really sure why, it was kinda an impulse buy since I got a good deal on it. Still riding the 500 and loving it, never got bored or felt a need to upgrade. Since then, put about 3500 miles on the 500, and 1500 on the 600.

For the type of riding I do, mostly highway commuting to work, with occasional weekend rides, the 500 is a better suited bike for me. Much cheaper, to start and insurance and upkeep. The smaller tires are cheaper, and I have about 13k miles on my current tires now. 25k on the stock chain/sprockets and still in great shape. ~50 mpg on 87 octane, compared to 42 on 91+ octane for the zx-6r. Not to mention the 500 is more comfortable, and my saddlebags fit on it perfectly. Never needed any additional power to get me out of any jams.

And one of the best things about it is, like techtrix said, you can wring the 500 out in first and second gear, then shortshift up to 4th and cruise backroads at 45-50mph, whereas first gear on a 600 will take you to highway speeds.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started on a high quality street legal dirt bike. I never considered a low quality Ninja 250 WHATSOEVER.
come on dude, i specifically asked for no flame war starting extraneous statements. if you truly feel that way, at least give a detailed explanation why you feel that's so.

about 95 views of this thread but only 9 votes! come on guys, ROCK THE VOTE! it'll be good practice for the presidential election next week. haha.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
14K-15K miles on the 250 and I owned it while I had the FZ1 for a while too. I would not of even sold the Ninja 250 except I needed money to pay for a vacation trip to Utah to see the Winter Olympics. Then I just gave it away for $1,300 and it was in mint condition *shrug*

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
come on dude, i specifically asked for no flame war starting extraneous statements. if you truly feel that way, at least give a detailed explanation why you feel that's so.

about 95 views of this thread but only 9 votes! come on guys, ROCK THE VOTE! it'll be good practice for the presidential election next week. haha.
With a comment like he stated he sounds like one of the people that can not ride anyways. Probably could not ride a Ninja 250 to its limits, a lot (most) riders seem not to be able to be that good at riding. Another words, he be one of the fools I pass on a Ninja 250 in the twisties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) 2007 $2500 w/ 1500 miles in summer 2007, minor blemishes

2) 14,000 miles

3) 2003 SV650S

4) the 250 was ALMOST what i'd want forever in a bike. if a person ever says they're bored with their 250, ask how often they hit the twisties or how many trackdays they've done. i was never bored with mine, but for attractiveness i went to the SV. if i ever move within about a 10min commute from work i would go back to the ninjette.

SIDENOTE: with all the literature on ninja250.org, the small bike can turn anyone into a mechanic and save you hundreds on service.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Sorry, I'm not flaming, but noobs don't need a nearly 400 pound 250 with high priced low quality, (everything is cheap from wheels/trires to tank/frame. Engine is tight.)

A good street legal dirt bike is the best way to enter riding for most.

Noobs are conditioned to seriously consider this tiny Ninja that simply looks good, from a distance, but doesn't work.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Sorry, I'm not flaming, but noobs don't need a nearly 400 pound 250 with high priced low quality, (everything is cheap from wheels/trires to tank/frame. Engine is tight.)

A good street legal dirt bike is the best way to enter riding for most.

Noobs are conditioned to seriously consider this tiny Ninja that simply looks good, from a distance, but doesn't work.

The parts on the Ninja 250 aren't low quality at all. Older yes, low quality no.

·
Redheaded Stepchild
130 Posts
I don't remember offhand, but I put 10K-12K on my 250 before moving up to an 1000RR. I was ready for something with more punch and didn't intend to get such a big bike next, but found a deal I couldn't turn down. My 250 was a 2000 model bought pre-wrecked in '06, it had it's share of dents but wasn't too bad.

The 250 is still my #1 recommendation for new riders, it isn't as flashy as some but it gets it done. I planned to put 2K-3K on mine as a starter bike before moving up, and obviously found that I liked the bike more than I thought I would. In the twisties and just commuting, it rocks. If I only rode the curves, I'd still be on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
started on a 03 250r
learned what i could and upgraded a month later to a sv650, but didn't like that. Tried a hornet 600, didn't like the weight + lack of torque. Got a 89' hawk 650 and loving it since.

250's too weak if you go on the highway. It can go faster but buzzing at 10+K rpm isn't fun (everyone will say otherwise but trust me).

·
Future Statistic
690 Posts
I started on a high quality street legal dirt bike. I never considered a low quality Ninja 250 WHATSOEVER.
You must be a retarted idiot? - seeing as the ninja 250 is anything but low quality... infact... its been around so long - you could argue its one of the higher quality bikes - they are bulletproof - fun little bikes - dont listen to this guy - he doesnt know what he's talking about..

Edit: and a dual sport is a good starter, but some are too tall for people - and some people just dont want one - a 250 is a great bike

I started on a 05 250 - put ~2.5K on it and i will admit it wasnt enough - shoulda kept it for atleast 5k... or bought an sv650...- sold it - bought an f4i - sold it - bought an R6 - happy for the time on each - although i only sold the f4i because someone offered me way more than i paid for it...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You must be a retarted idiot? - seeing as the ninja 250 is anything but low quality... infact... its been around so long - you could argue its one of the higher quality bikes - they are bulletproof - fun little bikes - dont listen to this guy - he doesnt know what he's talking about..

Edit: and a dual sport is a good starter, but some are too tall for people - and some people just dont want one - a 250 is a great bike

I started on a 05 250 - put ~2.5K on it and i will admit it wasnt enough - shoulda kept it for atleast 5k... or bought an sv650...- sold it - bought an f4i - sold it - bought an R6 - happy for the time on each - although i only sold the f4i because someone offered me way more than i paid for it...
It may work for some people. Glad you liked it.

So, what you ride now? :banana:banana:banana

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why doesnt honda or yamaha or any other company come out with like a 250 or 400cc sport bike? honda should bring back the CBR400RR and make it look like a 600 or 1000 and sell it in the US and newbies will be all over that shit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1) Bought 03 in 2005 for $1800. Was immaculate with only 1500 miles on the clock.

2) Put 6k on in the first 8 months, but didnt sell for another 4 months after upgrading.

3) Upgraded to 03 R6.

4) Wanted more power.

If you want my honest opinion pm me, I dont feel like getting flammed.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
I was on my 250 for 9 months of quality riding and I'd say it's the way to go.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
1) 2007 $2600 w/ 1500 miles Bought late november 2007
2) 13,400 miles and counting

3) havn't upgraded yet, still researching bikes

4) I'm not going to upgrade:twofinger I'm going to keep it for a commuter and get a toy for the weekends and late night rides. I have loved the support from my fellow riders and Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index is a godsend. I am getting a little irritated when I'm climbing hills with it, but to be honest 70% of the time I'm not riding it to it's full potential. This bike has seen a track day and loved it!(So Did I:))

For those who think the little ninja can't go on the freeway and isn't fun because it can't launch you to the fucking moon or because you think you'll get laughed at for your "tiny bike", check out this ride I did in September.

1929 miles in 3 days on a ninja 250. Lots of pics tho':twofinger
utahSBA.com ~ View topic - 3 days,1929 miles, 1 damn good Ninjette :D

I love telling people about that trip and watch their eyes get huge as they stammer out," You did THAT on a 250?!?!" Me being 6'2'' at 220lbs.

I should probably post the full story on the new riders section, but don't want to spend 2 hours doing it,,,maybe tomorrow

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
brand new 2007. Loved it for the first month, then it started going downhill, started giving me problems.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts