Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took the wife and kids to Chicago. We went around seeing sights and having a great time. We went into one art gallery and the kids immediately got into some of the sculptures and paintings which was a great thing. Even my 7 year old boy was interested and more perceptive with many exhibits than I would have expected. All in all it was an unexpected win with the kids that made me very proud of them.

When walking around one of the employees told us of an area that the kids could draw and put the drawings on the wall and such. So we went to the designated floor to let the kids explore their artistic side and before we went to the area they could paint in we went into another exhibit right next to it. We had not been studying the art closely instead just kind of glancing over most of the paintings but about 3 paintings in something caught my eye. Most of the paintings in this area had been very abstract but you could make out the people painted and stuff but lots of clutter on the paintings and stuff (not the kind of art I get into). The one that caught my eye seemed to be a picture of a guy wearing a bikini with lots of hair protruding from the bikini bottom. This made me start looking a little closer and taking note that most of the paintings had lots of nudity in it and displaying what looked like orgies. As I looked at other paintings quickly it wasn't getting any better and in fact some started exploring many sexual acts (man on woman, man on man, woman on woman.... wait for it ... men and women with animals, latterly everything you can think of from a quick glance over the paintings). I very quickly decided to turn the kids around and leave that exhibit.

Now do not get me wrong. I don't care that the exhibit existed at all but I do question what the thought process was to put it next to the "kid friendly" area. At the very least I question why wouldn't some type of warning to parents be posted outside the exhibit so they know what they are walking into?

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
It's a guess only. They probably didn't think about it at all. Art goes off in odd directions, not all of them OK for everyone. Galleries have their own ways of organizing things, and I suppose they expect people in the gallery to look at some kind of map or something and know what is in different rooms. Aside from that, it sounds like they put some kinda creepy stuff where they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I am sure it wasn't something intentional or anything. I did bring it up to them that the placement should have been a bit better thought out or something but I am sure it would be to much work to move either exhibit before it is due to move out so I doubt much will happen from it. Maybe they will put up some type of sign to give a clue to parents but maybe not. Still all in all it was a good visit and I am sure I was quick enough on the damage control that the kids didn't notice much of it.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was abstract enough, they might not have ever noticed anything anyway.
I think only my two oldest kids noticed. They are the only two that made comments about some of the paintings being nasty.

Was it a commercial gallery or museum?
It was a museum. Nothing was for sale or anything.

·
Registered
14,902 Posts
Most museums have a catalog for sale or a brochure of the current showings somewhere near the entrance. Be a good idea to check for that next time.

Their mission is to reflect the current or historical record of artists work to people. It's a complicated process.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most museums have a catalog for sale or a brochure of the current showings somewhere near the entrance. Be a good idea to check for that next time.

Their mission is to reflect the current or historical record of artists work to people. It's a complicated process.
I will have to check for something like that next time but the only thing I could find on this trip was the name of the exhibit but it didn't say anything that would make me think it wasn't kid friendly. I get that it has to be difficult to try and account for everything when setting up exhibits. It was just unexpected.

Sounds to me like your kids are on it and you don't have to worry about them too much.
They are good kids and I try not to worry to much. I know that next art museum we visit I will take a quick look around before bringing the kids into each area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts