Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how does someone who creates such awesome cruisers has his own line of motorcycle leather suits.
Ans was wondering how they are all connected. I have an Arlen ness suit myself, but if you search around they seem to also have the name "berik" and now more popular now is the "MOTOGP" line...you see alot of top racers where em.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Well, the use of names like motogp and one of the icons of motorcycling should tell you one thing. It's a marketing company.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true...but do you think that all the MOTOGP/SBK guys wear it because of reputation or because they get sponsered from those compaines. Also, as an icon of the motorcycling world, you would think it would be a good product or he wouldnt attach his name to it...jsut wondering if its worth me buying a MOTOGP suit.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Look for proper specs and features, and don't worry about name or price tag at all. They wear what is provided by sponsors. There is typically some visible input and preferred features or even brands among visible pro racers, some based on individual experiences, some based on superstition, and some based on poor information.

The best thing we can do is look for the CE tag for at least the impact protectors. There is a standard for entire suits as well, though not many manufacturers are complying with those laws, we can stil ltake hints from the requrements and construction methods. Things like double layers in the proper places and amounts, proper stitching techniques, thicknesses, panels, and armor coverage and areas.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought the MotoGp suit 2 weeks ago. It fits snug and comfy, has armor in all the right places except for the back. I thought the hump would be a nuisance, but it's not at all, even in a full tuck.
PM me and I'll tell you how much I paid and where to get it an excellent price!

:beer

·
Registered
162 Posts
f2benny said:
I have read the Arlen Ness gear is chinese made junk.
Tell that to the MotoGP racers who wear his suits.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gungho said:
I bought the MotoGp suit 2 weeks ago. It fits snug and comfy, has armor in all the right places except for the back. I thought the hump would be a nuisance, but it's not at all, even in a full tuck.
PM me and I'll tell you how much I paid and where to get it an excellent price!

:beer

did u pick up the Kangaroo leather suit or the Cowhide suit?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SurfNSB said:
Tell that to the MotoGP racers who wear his suits.
you think the $800-1000 for an off the rack suit is similar to a real moto gp suit.......... :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's like any other gear you buy. If you buy cheep like I did it will not hold up to good in a crash. This is not to say that there aren't deals. Before I pay out anything I want to see how it is made. Take a close look at the seams!

I had a 50-mph low-side on the street slid about 25 feet on my stomach.
Leathers: 2 peace Arlen Ness "413 race": it was bad, many seams failed on impact but over all saved my knee and skin.
Gloves: Arlen Ness Velocity: did great, did there job like a champ!! but a total loss if i can find another pair I'll buy them

Attachments

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
blackripley said:
it was bad, many seams failed on impact but over all saved my knee and skin.
Gloves: Arlen Ness Velocity: did great, did there job like a champ!! but a total loss if i can find another pair I'll buy them
me, hell no.....from that "slow" a speed and it came apart like that........what woulda been left of your skin at 75-100??? not pretty......

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
wow that suit looks terrible. I agree with f2benny, probably made in china...I have found every piece of moto equipment made in china is garbage. it's a communist plot to punish capitalist pig motorcyclists...

I found the alpinestars P1 to one of the best off rack suits I've seen, the stitching is really good...it was hand made in romania. compare that to the chinese made GPU suits and you'll see the difference readily. Unforunately the P1 has been discontinued...I'm sure the cheap GPU exceeded it in sales.

If you've got the money...dainese hands down. t-age 1 piece is a good pick.

·
Registered
135 Posts
GreenZED said:
wow that suit looks terrible. I agree with f2benny, probably made in china...I have found every piece of moto equipment made in china is garbage. it's a communist plot to punish capitalist pig motorcyclists...

I found the alpinestars P1 to one of the best off rack suits I've seen, the stitching is really good...it was hand made in romania. compare that to the chinese made GPU suits and you'll see the difference readily. Unforunately the P1 has been discontinued...I'm sure the cheap GPU exceeded it in sales.

If you've got the money...dainese hands down. t-age 1 piece is a good pick.
That's a little bit of a generalization, don't you think? A lot of the manufacturers I've checked have at least part of there production done in China these days. Dainese T Age gloves (which were their top of the line gloves) are made in China. Yet you see them charging approx $300 for those. Even the Dainese speed metal and slam pelles (their newer top of the line gloves) are made in Vietnam.
If you look closely at Dainese, Alpinestars, RS Taichi, Kushitani, Held, Moto GP/Berik/Arlen Ness, Spidi, or any other name brand you care to throw in there, I guarantee you there will be something made in China or Southeast Asia. And its not all junk either.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you mean that large clothing manufacturers have certain items in their lineup that are chinese made? who knew.

anyways I'm sorry that you feel slighted by my generalization, but considering the trade deficit that the united states currently suffers under I think it's a good generalization to have. in the new world, china is winning the economic war against the US. I see them becoming another japan in the not too distant future, except far more powerful. japan started out making inferior goods after WW2...now look at their products. with the population of china and the intelligence that is there, they are a formidable economic adversary.

it's our own fault anyways, we're addicted to their cheap goods and walmart maybe we're getting what we deserve?

back to moto talk, yes a lot of gloves are currently made in china.. a lot of gloves are also junk. I like my italian-made teknics, nice gloves.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think some of you missed my point. My Arlen Ness suite failed do to poor construction and design. Had I taken the time to look closer at the way it was put together, I would have seen the poor stitching and the way it was stitched. The seams are doubled stitched on all seams but the seams run side by side (like Levis jeans). Not stitched rolled over and stitched. The tread is some cheap cotton like stuff, not a abrasions resistant compound. Lastly there are to many panels, more panels more stitching. I seen smiler construction from most other from manufactures on various suites. Mostly on the low end of a product line. It is true that most of the cheaper stuff is made in Asia, but more and more of the quality stuff is now coming from over there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
blackripley said:
I think some of you missed my point. My Arlen Ness suite failed do to poor construction and design. Had I taken the time to look closer at the way it was put together, I would have seen the poor stitching and the way it was stitched. The seams are doubled stitched on all seams but the seams run side by side (like Levis jeans). Not stitched rolled over and stitched. The tread is some cheap cotton like stuff, not a abrasions resistant compound. Lastly there are to many panels, more panels more stitching. I seen smiler construction from most other from manufactures on various suites. Mostly on the low end of a product line. It is true that most of the cheaper stuff is made in Asia, but more and more of the quality stuff is now coming from over there.
Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Its really about the construction and materials used. It doesn't necessarily have to do with where its made. Much of the out-sourcing of manufacturing occurs because of cheaper labor costs and in a lot of cases, increased costs of doing business.

GreenZED: no offense meant or taken. But your comment on all Chinese goods being junk is false. Thats what I was touching on. I do agree with you though on it being our own fault. If we could offer a competitive wage and cover the costs of liability, utilities, employee healthcare, growing corporate greed; as well as tackle the problem with unionization trying to better the quality of life at the cost of forcing jobs overseas, then we might avoid some the trade deficit we now face. Also, we need to do away with special favors to certain nations and curtail the whole idea of "free-trade" agreements.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
it doesn't really matter who made it or where they made it. cheap is cheap. hopefully the money you saved will still be in your wallet when you go sliding on your ass in a cheap suit. you are going to need all the protection you can get.

black ripleys suit is a perfect example of what happens when you but cheap gear. like racerX said. imagine that same suit in a crash at 75mph.

most manufacturers have lower end suits however they are not all created equal. some companies lower priced suits are suits that would have been high-end a few years ago. they don't scrimp on the overall structure of the suit. covered double and triple stitched seams, foam and hard armor at impact zones, built in back protection. Alpine Stars, Teknic and Sidi are some examples. others are just stiched together pieces of leather. they MIGHT protect you in an average street speed crash. they might not and you can bet you'll be replacing it afterward. i looked at some of the Motogp gear and thought it was the cheapest, overpriced shit i had ever seen. it looked like the cheap shit you wold see at a Harley Shop. a lot of flash and no a lot of substance.

buy leathers, especially if you are racing or doing trackdays, is like buying insurance. you can save money up front but what is it going to cost you in the end?

·
Registered
135 Posts
malik ross said:
it doesn't really matter who made it or where they made it. cheap is cheap. hopefully the money you saved will still be in your wallet when you go sliding on your ass in a cheap suit. you are going to need all the protection you can get.

black ripleys suit is a perfect example of what happens when you but cheap gear. like racerX said. imagine that same suit in a crash at 75mph.

most manufacturers have lower end suits however they are not all created equal. some companies lower priced suits are suits that would have been high-end a few years ago. they don't scrimp on the overall structure of the suit. covered double and triple stitched seams, foam and hard armor at impact zones, built in back protection. Alpine Stars, Teknic and Sidi are some examples. others are just stiched together pieces of leather. they MIGHT protect you in an average street speed crash. they might not and you can bet you'll be replacing it afterward. i looked at some of the Motogp gear and thought it was the cheapest, overpriced shit i had ever seen. it looked like the cheap shit you wold see at a Harley Shop. a lot of flash and no a lot of substance.

buy leathers, especially if you are racing or doing trackdays, is like buying insurance. you can save money up front but what is it going to cost you in the end?
:dblthumb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts