Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, few minutes ago i just got yelled at by my parents :D after finishing my MSF got my lisence , now im looking for a bike. When they ask how am i gonna get this bike from home to school at end of summer, i honestly replied that i was gonna ride it back. That ticked them off :/ the idea of a 1 hr ride back to school is not comforting for them. thought riding back to school was obvious to them, guess not, wut really sux is they tell me this AFTER i finish everything and only need a bike now. Can't think of anyways to convince them at the moment.... im afraid my bike search will be postpone even further now :cry

·
Registered
944 Posts
It sounds like a last ditch argument....they probably never wanted you to get a bike in the first place and figured you'd never go through with it.

This sucks......they might never understand. To them its just a dangerous thing, a risky situation that could be avoided. Usually, parents just want to protect you. They forget that their kids grow up.

Like i said you might never "convince them."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya.... now they are saying stuff like "i rather buy u a car" blah blah.... i dunno...
part of me wants to listen to my parents and not worry them since they are going thru alot of stuff for me and my bro, but the other part of me REALLY REALLY wants to ride lol. Basicly right now im offered a new car to give up riding....

·
Registered
376 Posts
spidertron said:
ya.... now they are saying stuff like "i rather buy u a car" blah blah.... i dunno...
part of me wants to listen to my parents and not worry them since they are going thru alot of stuff for me and my bro, but the other part of me REALLY REALLY wants to ride lol. Basicly right now im offered a new car to give up riding....
If they are going to buy you a car just so you don't ride....I'd take the car and then buy a bike in a couple of years. hell can't beat a free car. :lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
yea my parents didn't want me to get a bike either....waited til i was 21 to get one and even though they don't like it they seemed to adjust

·
Registered
149 Posts
my mom still gives me those shots for buying the bike (I dont have a car either)....Sometimes when its thunder and lightning out she will say "y dont you take your bike" or "you're asking to borrow my car"

She has started to come around though, she knows its something that makes me happy and she is sometimes more concerned about the bike and riding than I am...

You sometimes have to do what makes you happy and hopefully those that care for you will soon realize that your happinness is the most important thing to them

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Make sure the car you get will take a hitch and trailer the bike back to school. :lol

Seriously, it sounds like you need to decide what's more important to you right now - keeping peace in the family or getting a bike. It's hard to wait, but that may be the right answer. Only you can decide this one. How about getting a bike for the summer and selling it before school? That might give your parents time to get used to the idea. Maybe by the end of the summer they'll come around, but don't count on it. Good, used, cheap bike shouldn't lose much value at all in SOCAL.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Dude, I'm 39 and my parents still give me grief about riding, and my dad used to ride himself! :rolleyes It never ends.

A parent's worst nightmare is to have to bury their own child. Now that I have kids of my own, I understand this, and realize that it never totally goes away.

Just be responsible, don't buy a 600cc or b***** supersport as your first bike, don't be a squid, and don't give them a reason to say "I told you so".

·
Registered
912 Posts
You're 18, so you're an adult. If you're buying the bike yourself then they really can't say anything about it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
You're 18, so you're an adult. If you're buying the bike yourself then they really can't say anything about it.
Yeah, good luck saying that to my parents. They gave me the whole "as long as your under my roof..." speech.

They saw me do the research, MSF, buying the best gear, helmet, pants, etc. They know that I'm a responsible driver which translates to a responsible rider (usually). Tell them that you're doing this with your personal safety in mind ALWAYS and you'll at least start to win them over.

·
Registered
912 Posts
mikem317 said:
Yeah, good luck saying that to my parents. They gave me the whole "as long as your under my roof..." speech.

They saw me do the research, MSF, buying the best gear, helmet, pants, etc. They know that I'm a responsible driver which translates to a responsible rider (usually). Tell them that you're doing this with your personal safety in mind ALWAYS and you'll at least start to win them over.
My parents tried that "as long as you're under my roof..." bit with me... I did what I wanted anyways. They never threw me out, and I suspect most parents wouldn't as long as you're not breaking any laws.

Besides, he goes to school an hour away, so I'm guessing he lives in a dorm or some other dwelling for most of the year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going through the same sitituation. My friend started of on a 2004 GSX-R 600 and they seem him speeding around and that deters them from letting my even get a small bike like a EX250. This is very frustrating becuase I want to ride so bad. I dunno I think they are starting to come around some, at least I hope.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
My parents tried that "as long as you're under my roof..." bit with me... I did what I wanted anyways. They never threw me out, and I suspect most parents wouldn't as long as you're not breaking any laws.

Besides, he goes to school an hour away, so I'm guessing he lives in a dorm or some other dwelling for most of the year.
Oh, it's smoke in mirrors. But its with reason. Bikes are statisically more danagerous forms of transportation. When your 17, 18, basically under 20, its going to be an uphill battle with parents. Kids are usually more brazen on the road and take more chances than most adults.

The 18-25 age group comprises of the most per captia traffic accidents than any other age group, even seniors. Don't have the specific statisics...

The parents are within reason. Its going to take them awhile to get used to the idea of their child on two-wheels.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
F&D said:
Dude, I'm 39 and my parents still give me grief about riding, and my dad used to ride himself! :rolleyes It never ends.

A parent's worst nightmare is to have to bury their own child. Now that I have kids of my own, I understand this, and realize that it never totally goes away.
+1.

Once you have a kid, your whole perception changes and you understand what YOUR parents go through.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you are dependant on your parents you should respect their wishes and hold off. Otherwise move out and do whatever you want. /shrug

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you dont have a car w/ trailer hitch, you could always rent a uhaul truck to get the bike back home.

My parents dont want me getting a bike either, but if I pay for it and pay for insurance they cant say much about it. I also dont live at home, so they dont control my life anymore either.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I agree with Pesticide. You might buy the bike, but your parents will be footing your room and board - they have a big say.

Besides, if you don't even have a car yet, what are you going to do when the snow flies and you have to go to work. I've done the "bike only" lifestyle and it sucks when the weather is bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts