Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Think this is sportbike related. . .

Here's the bad news, that could turn good. My 1995 SeaDoo XP has a problem with the crankshaft. Needs new Crankshaft, pistons and head. Total estimated cost. . . $600. . Everything else is good.

What's this I see on Ebay?!? A wrecked CBR F2, with good working motor for $400 some dollars?? Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I dont know a lot about motors, but I have a friend that knows a LOT about jetskis, and a little about bikes (and has lots of tools). Anyone know a reason a bike motor would def not work here before I get started making a frankenstein 90 HP SeaDoo?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I don't see why this could not be done as long as there is enough space to place the motor in. But what are you going to do for shifting? You will have to also hook up the traney and run a hnad clutch and a shift lever some where.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
it will not work dude, if the thing flips...which if you have ever ridden a jetski you know it WILL.....the oil will get into the engine and make it damn near impossible to restart it. The fuel will flood and it will make it harder to start. and where the hell will you mount the radiator? Good idea, bad design. Boat yes jetski NO

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
BTW for the person who is about to say "Honda has 4 strokes in theirs" They run on a dry sump system, there is no oil in a "pan" it is stored in a seperate container outside the engine, like Nascar's setup.

EDIT:

I just seen you put in "90hp frankenstien..." my GP1200R had 155hp stock :beer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dennisred69 said:
I don't see why this could not be done as long as there is enough space to place the motor in. But what are you going to do for shifting? You will have to also hook up the traney and run a hnad clutch and a shift lever some where.
I wasnt planning on using a transmission, But I suppose I could and use the mechs from the bike itself. Hand clutch will be easy. Set up

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I belive you would have to use the traney to change gears. I don't know if the motoer will run right with out it never tried.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Besides the afore mentioned flipping problems, the thing would be a dog. The bike engine is made for top end power at high revs. A boat/jet ski engine is designed to give great low and mid range power to overcome the resistance of the hull in the water. The bike engine and the trans share the same oil, so it might be tough to pull the tranny and have the engine still run. Also how do you plan on hooking the crankshaft to the pump drive shaft??

It's your money and time so do what you want, but I think that it would be a pain in the ass.

Joe

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like this is gonna be more problems than anything. Thanks for the heads up guys.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Bro thats how ideas are born, there aint shit wrong with that. Its just our duty as friends to help you before you get in too deep. Hell get the f2 engine and put it on a quad frame or something? GO-Cart? who knows there are some good possibilities...hell turn the jetski INTO a go-cart powered by the f2 engine :)

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I think it would be worth a try but I wouldn't invest so much money in it. I don't even see why you would need a clutch or gears. What's wrong with third gear all the time engaged. As long as you have the reverse on the ski you can keep it from moving by putting it in the middle or Fwd and Rev.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
here is the problem guys....now some beaches arent as protective BUT if and when it flips in the water you are looking at a rainbow of oil and fuel in the water. Another thing where would you run the exhaust? and remember the radiator has to be in a place where it can get fresh air across it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reckless01 said:
Bro thats how ideas are born, there aint shit wrong with that. Its just our duty as friends to help you before you get in too deep. Hell get the f2 engine and put it on a quad frame or something? GO-Cart? who knows there are some good possibilities...hell turn the jetski INTO a go-cart powered by the f2 engine :)
My Banshee is fast enoug for me. GoKart from the Jet Ski? Something Amphibious. . . go out riding, when I get hot, head for the lake? I think I'm getting in over my head.

I'll let you guys know the next time I have a crazy idea and we'll see whare it goes. . . :dunno

1 - 15 of 15 Posts