Sport Bikes banner

Are you still spending money on your parts and accessories during this slow economy?

• Still have my job and I am spending about the same on my bike as I have in the past.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • Still have my job, but I am spending a little less than I use to on my bike.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • Still have my job, but I am spending very little on my bike.

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Lost my job ( or between jobs ) and I am spending about the same on my bike as I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Lost my job ( or between jobs ) and I am spending a little less than I use to on my bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lost my job ( or between jobs ) and I am spending very little on my bike.

Votes: 6 6.1%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am doing an analysis report for college based on our passion with motorcycles. I am arguing that even in an economic slow down , that motrocycle owners are still going to spend money on their bikes even as the economy slows and some lose their jobs. I constructed a simple poll to see how people are spending their money......answer as honestly as you can.

Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, I am still spending, actually more now than in the past 2 years. BUT, if I lose my job, I will scale it back to only basic maintenance.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
After the initial purchase and accessories, I don't spend much on the bike beyond maintenance needs. Oil, filters, tires, chain/sprockets, etc. I've thought about a couple of "luxury" items, but decided to hold off.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
heres what i posted in the "winter project" thread

found too many good deals!

bought: canopy, cooler, gas tank, tools, hotbodies track plastics, windscreen, fairing stay, wire harness, clipons, galfer braided lines, vortex rearsets and looking at shorty levers. also put some money down for track credits.

also found good deals on gear so i got a new helmet and jacket for me and my GF.

there was a good deal on bt16 and i almost bought those too.

gotta keep telling myself to save money.

·
The chick on the Beemer!
455 Posts
I posted spending the same but I have had my bike now for 3 years so it is only ongoing maint. Maybe you should question if people are planning on spending stuff on add ons versus maintenance.

I think most everyone will continue to do routine maint, but a few people may hold off on that new exhaust purchase or steel braided brake lines.

·
Banned
911 Posts
Don't plan on buying anything for my bike for some time. Not necessarily because of the economy, but more so because of the holiday season.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
My income hasn't changed and my debt hasn't gone up, so I have no need to curb my spending.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted spending the same but I have had my bike now for 3 years so it is only ongoing maint. Maybe you should question if people are planning on spending stuff on add ons versus maintenance.

I think most everyone will continue to do routine maint, but a few people may hold off on that new exhaust purchase or steel braided brake lines.
I agree with you. The idea is of this poll is kind wide open to interpretation, but generally I am just trying to find out if people are cutting back or not. Obviously general maintenance is hard to cut back on b/c it is necessary. I guess it would be more to do with everything BESIDES general maintenance spending.

Thanks for the responces everybody :)

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I'll be helping the economy by pumping my hard earned cash into the aftermarket. :D

My bikes are fully set up the way I want them, so I'll be modding my car for awhile now.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
I lost my job and am spending roughly as much as before, but it's all maintenance and preventitive maintenance, tires, lube, fuel treatment, etc, etc ...

Just got a matching Bridgestone BT45 for the front, the rear I got months and months ago, they should last quite some time though, great tires.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Spending money as fast as I can print it....oh, sorry, for a moment there I got confused and thought I was the government.

Like Scissors, my income has not changed and I still have work, so other than personal budgeting, spending hasn't changed. Just haven't been spending a lot on the bike, but not due to economic issues, just other things at the moment that are more important.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Still spending! I am waiting for my 08 swingarm and new fly screen to arrive.:banana

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got a new bike 3 weeks ago so my spending is going to go up a lot. Job is still same old and I am excited about a raise I might get next month. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just bought a new helmet, Icon boots, and a Two brothers exhaust. All within the last 2 days. I dont see the need to change my life because others freak about economic changes. As long as I can cover the bottom line then this TEMPORARY economic change will have no effect on me...

·
Registered
619 Posts

I've actually put more into it since the "crisis" but the area i live in really hasn't seen this economic meltdown mainly because our market never saw these booms in the mid and late 90's. When the housing colapse in california and florida and other states were coming around the early part of the year and through the summer we actually saw a slight incline in the housing prices.

I got a windscreen, flush mounts, fender eliminator, fabed up a GPS mount and powder coated it, some body LED's, and a 12volt adapter. Thinking of doing some touring stuff next. Throttlemeister, Cortech saddlebags and maybe a more comfy seat. Then i have no idea after that =) sell it get another one i guess i dunno :lao

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
My bike is my main transportation, year round rider and I don't have a car. So yes I do my maintenance. No job worries either.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Yep, it's a crisis alright. The race bike needs a rebuilt suspension, the dirt bike/tard needs a magneto, and the street bike's throttle cable needs attention. The all get ridden too much not to spend money on them. It is sanity insurance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The price of used accessories has gone down a little, making it more affordable to accessories/trinkets for my bikes. I always keep an eye out for things that I think I need.

So, about the same.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts