Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a family thing with my kids the other day this guys house. He's like my brother inlaw's stepfather. He is a Harley rider. My brother shows up in his new CBR600Fi4. He and his friend had both bought new 600's his friend purchasing the GSXR. The Guy starts getting down on them because the bikes are cheapily made, they don't have any experience, so on and so forth. Curious, I ask how much experience did he have? He told me that he had a couple hundred thousand miles and a few crashes. He asked me how much I had as I was not riding this day but was talking to my brother about his bike and what I was looking to buy for next year. I told him that I had about ten years and about 60,000 miles but I had not laid one down. Then you don't know [email protected] was the response that I got. Interesting as in that 60,000 miles I have ridden in nine different countries on every type of bike. Mexico and Canada don't count. My question is Who is the more experienced the guy riden forever and falls down alot. Or the guy who rides any time he can get but rides within his skills. This guy had lots to say but it would take too much time. No brains No Headaches.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HA! A Harley owner talking about cheapily made! Ask him when's the last time he saw a union factory worker go above and beyond managments minimum requirements, in order to make a better product, a better bike....

No disrespect, I grew up in a blue collar union home..., but facts are facts.

A college friend of mine worked at the Harley plant in Tomahawk, WI..., he bought one since he worked there, but sold it as soon as he left saying he'd never get one again because of the engineering flaws and running problems...

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This guy was crusty. I tried asking him how could you get riding experience if you don't just go out and ride. He was like well you don't go out and buy one of those things. My thought was what then is a Buell but a harley sportbike. It was one those I am having a battle wits with an unarmed person moments that made me realize that in his world " that what is , is ".
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
always cracks me up..., I don't care what you ride, as long as you do..., but for some reason, half the Harley folks refuse to wave back when you pass 'em..., hmmm....

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I would of smiled and said I know thats why I sold my H.D. because I needed a mans bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, you meet all kind of idiots out there. For the most part, I've only had good experiences with HD riders, the few dummies were just dumb period, not only about bikes.

I've got almost 15,000 miles in three and a half years of riding. Not bad for MI I figure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My dad rides a Harley, but he isn't a prick like a lot of those non-wavers. He likes my bike a lot (and my bros zuki). Some people are just effing stupid. I like all bikes, for a number of different reasons. Some aesthetic, some for engineering, some for just pure motorcycle appreciation. Eff anyone who can't be cool with fellow bikers.

-J

·
Registered
58 Posts
The guy was way out of line. Had he been drinking? The most inexperienced riders I see around here are Harley Riders. Most are mid-life crisis toys bought for the look and image. Many are first time riders and I doubt most take the MSF classes. In SC there is no helmet law and I never see a bar without Harleys in front so add that all together and you get a lot of Harley riders around experiencing death. I believe there was a state lawmaker that was killed not long ago due to these conditions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know that this is an old subject but, I went to a party a few weeks ago and a local bike gang(harleys) was there. We got to talking and I told them that my father and I road out to the west coast and back from Detroit. About a quarter of them have been to Sturgis and only one to the Pacific ocean. Those guys had no idea that I had a 04 ZX10R. I look the role of a Harley rider. After the story I told them what I road it on. I got mixed reactions from them. Some were like you bought a peice of jap crap and the others were thats cool as long as you ride. Needless to say you do get you dumb asses in every crowd. I have over 31,000 miles(over 14,000 this year alone) in 5 years not including dirt and riding friends bikes before my own and no wrecks. I guess I don't know how to ride yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts