Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They dont seem very popular any reasons why or just personal preference?

other question (probably a squid question) but can you mount passenger pegs on a Aprilia SXV SuperMoto?

·
Duc hunter
1,269 Posts
They probably don't seem as popular because they are more expensive than the Big 4 brands. Also,their flagship bike, the RSVR, is getting quite dated. Aprilia is coming out with their V4 superbike, though, very soon so that should bring them to modern status again.

When I had my Aprilia Falco, I loved that thing to no end. Sweet chassis and stellar Rotax mill.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The biggest problem I had with my 2007 RSV Factory was so few good dealers and the service and parts are high just like the Ducati. I got rid of mine before I had any problems but if you go the AF1 Aprilia Forum they seem to have quite a few problems with brakes, dealer service and parts availability. The manufacturer is not doing a good job handeling the warranty issues at all it sounds like.

On the other hand, they are a great bike for the price and other goodies that come on the bikes. I hope the 09's are true Aprilia without the Rotax engines as in the past. Their super-moto is a bad ass but stay away from the 07. The 08's have taken care of the seal problems so I hear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They are some of the best looking bikes made. Most people I know with the RSV love it. Its personally my favorite bike. Some will tell you they are not reliable but I've heard them called Italian hondas by many trustworthy people. The reason you don't hear about them in my opinion is there are so few dealers that have them. Where I live the dealer that has them is terrible and who knows how long they will be in business so it would be tough for me to own one. When I get better at fixing things an Aprilia litre is my dream bike unless they make another Triumph 955

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
People who are going to spend 15k+ on an italian bike will generally buy a ducati as it has more panache from its racing heritage. as much as ducati participates (and wins) in WSBK/MotoGP et al, I think the attention is deserved. aprilia just doesnt have that, and coupled with the poor dealer network and lack of promotion the sales are just poor.

the new rsv's and tuonos have plenty of power for the street and are actually quite reliable in terms of the motor...however, you have to deal with the fact that the bike is premium and engineered as such, so there are more opportunities for issues than a bike bred from the almost infallible keep-it-simple japanese engineering ethos. the clutch bleed problems and faulty brembo rear brake are head scratchers. however, the radial front brakes have the best feel and outright power of any stock street bike you can imagine..ridiculously, fly over the handlebars with one finger powerful. and the motor is so well balanced, so tractable, so forgiving...yet pulls like a freight train.

and with demand low, the used bikes are freaking bargains. I got my factory for 8000 dollars with 2000 miles on the clock...full ohlins suspension, carbon fiber everywhere, OZ wheels, and a motor that makes me smile everyday. I actually like inline 4's better than vtwins, but the deal was so good I couldnt pass it up. now I've grown to love this thing despite the problems; my old zx6r handled like a truck compared to the ape. I'll ride this one until it dies. by then, there will be an aprilia V4 in my garage. have you heard the exhaust note on the new v4?? enjoy:

YouTube - Aprilia V4 Superbike

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
They're good machines, and here in San Diego we're lucky enough to have multiple good dealers of them. Personally, I've never quite warmed up to them. I don't like the styling much, I don't think they sound nice, and they feel tall and topheavy to me. But for someone who likes them aesthetically and fits them well, I'd recommend one.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Cost too much, and really don't get your money's worth. Look great, though. I ride with a couple friends who ride them, but it really doesn't make a difference what you ride, as it's the rider that makes the bike look good.

So, they both enjoy talking about the fazer after a ride. I ride fairly slow and cautious by my standards (looking for cagers, deer, bicyclists, horse, peds, trees, etc).

Really, it's about the rider, not the bike, no matter what.

·
Registered
772 Posts
They dont seem very popular any reasons why or just personal preference?
They don't get much attention here because they are more expensive than big four motorcycles and there aren't many dealers in the US compared to Ducati.

They don't advertise or get much publicity in N. America, but they're more popular in Europe. In 2001, the RSV Mille was the best selling v-twin sportbike over there.

On the other hand, they are a great bike for the price and other goodies that come on the bikes. I hope the 09's are true Aprilia without the Rotax engines as in the past. Their super-moto is a bad ass but stay away from the 07. The 08's have taken care of the seal problems so I hear.
Although more expensive than Japanese bikes, they've always tried to provide good value for the money. We get killers deals on their liter bikes compared to Europe. The V-4 is supposed to be ready for the '09 WSBK season. It should give BMW's 190/190 a run for its money. The SVX 450/550 are bad ass. Aprilia won the last FIM supermoto championship. But yeah the early ones had some problems.

They are some of the best looking bikes made. Most people I know with the RSV love it. Its personally my favorite bike. Some will tell you they are not reliable but I've heard them called Italian hondas by many trustworthy people.
They do have issues like the rear brake requiring careful bleeding, but overall the reliability is very high. They hold up well over time, and they're surprisingly easy to work on. Everything is modular. Aside from the electrical (it is Italian) they didn't skimp on the engineering. If properly cared for, they last a long time. There is a silver 03 RSV-R on ebay with 69k miles and still running strong.

People who are going to spend 15k+ on an italian bike will generally buy a ducati as it has more panache from its racing heritage. as much as ducati participates (and wins) in WSBK/MotoGP et al, I think the attention is deserved. aprilia just doesnt have that, and coupled with the poor dealer network and lack of promotion the sales are just poor.
I'll agree the dealer network is poor and there is zero promotion over here, but Aprilia actually has a pretty deep racing history. They've got dozens of 125 and 250 Moto GP world championships. Many of the top riders like Rossi learned on Aprilia machines. But yeah, nobody knows of it. Outside of sportbike riders, most people never heard of Aprilia whereas most everyone knows about Ducati.

and with demand low, the used bikes are freaking bargains.
I know of a low mileage, cherry condition, Noriyuki Haga replica completely tricked out for only 10k. Carbon BSTs, reworked ohlins suspension, most all of the available bolt on performance goodies. The wheels alone cost almost 5k, and the bike was around 19k originally. 10k buys a plain jane 998/999. :dunno

and they feel tall and topheavy to me. But for someone who likes them aesthetically and fits them well, I'd recommend one.
Physically they are taller bikes. They are designed around a b***** rider than other Italian brands. The styling has been hit or miss for me.

Cost too much, and really don't get your money's worth.
Considering the standard equipment, they're not that outrageous. There are many bargains to be had on the used market. :cheers

·
Registered
772 Posts
Where I live the dealer that has them is terrible and who knows how long they will be in business so it would be tough for me to own one.
They're not any harder to maintain than a Japanese bike. But the parts cost a bit more. Compared to the big 4 there isn't nearly as many used or aftermarket parts available, and the dealer support is not widespread. I probably wouldn't own one if I lived in Timbuktu, but if you have a mechanic you trust, go for it.

You can order anything you need off the internet. AF1 is the mecca. You won't need to be ordering parts very often. Aside from replacing a leaking clutch slave cylinder and a rear brake that needs a good power bleed once a year, it's been a good bike and never left me stranded or wanting more from it. And the older Milles are fairly comfortable as sportbikes go.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Aprilia does have a lot of 125 and 250cc championships, but those are classes that are almost exclusively followed in europe where ppl actually still ride two strokes on the street. Their racing history in the premiere classes is pretty weak...but to be fair they are a pretty small outfit and can only stretch themselves so far. Which makes the ducati story all the more laudable. I'm not a ducati fan at all but I do appreciate what they bring to motorcycle racing, and motorcycling in general.

haga is a badass and that haga rep is pretty badass as well.

all in all aprilia's are quirky bikes and take some dedication to stick with, but I would recommend them. just bookmark Af1racing.com and you're good to go. one thing is for certain you will get a lot more attention on an aprilia than a big 4 bike...mostly from the "what the hell is that thing?" perspective. When I rode it back home from the place I bought it (800 miles), I stopped to eat and chill out a lot but always with an eye on the bike. I would see people come up to it and inspect it, and I could read their thoughts from the puzzled looks on their faces. it definitely does stand out from the crowd.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just heard Max Biaggi signed with Aprilia to race the RSV4 in World Superbike. He's got a lot of history with them, won a couple 250 titles back in the 90s.

They never made a huge effort in the premiere classes before. But they didn't have the money. The company is owned by Piaggio now, I think the RSV4 will contend. Corser finished 3rd one season, 2000 or 2001, and the bike had a shot at winning but was hampered with crap tires. Dunlop was behind the curve at that time.

As for MotoGP, the RSV Cube was a little too revolutionary for the time. Pneumatic valve actuation etc. is proven in Formula 1 but proved too complicated and expensive for Aprilia to get working reliably, although it made class leading hp. I think Piaggio owned Aprilia will make another run at it in a few years. But they are happy to bask in the success of the 125 and 250 class bikes. I watched a 250GP race last weekend, almost half the starting grid was an Aprilia.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
I just heard Max Biaggi signed with Aprilia to race the RSV4 in World Superbike. He's got a lot of history with them, won a couple 250 titles back in the 90s.

They never made a huge effort in the premiere classes before. But they didn't have the money. The company is owned by Piaggio now, I think the RSV4 will contend. Corser finished 3rd one season, 2000 or 2001, and the bike had a shot at winning but was hampered with crap tires. Dunlop was behind the curve at that time.

As for MotoGP, the RSV Cube was a little too revolutionary for the time. Pneumatic valve actuation etc. is proven in Formula 1 but proved too complicated and expensive for Aprilia to get working reliably, although it made class leading hp. I think Piaggio owned Aprilia will make another run at it in a few years. But they are happy to bask in the success of the 125 and 250 class bikes. I watched a 250GP race last weekend, almost half the starting grid was an Aprilia.

Rossi won on aprilia as well. :cheers

·
Registered
772 Posts

MCN said:
The new 1000cc V4 is set to feature ride-by-wire throttle, hi-tech electronics which Aprilia claim make traction control possible and an engine designed and built in-house by the Italian firm.

As you can just about make out in the picture, the bike features Ohlins suspension and radial brembo brakes. What you don't quite get from the picture is a sense of just how small and compact this new Aprilia supersports machine is.

Aprilia have revealed that the new RSV4 weighs in at 190kg fully fueled, which incidentally is 9kg less than a Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade weighs with an empty tank.

The RSV4 will be available in 2 versions- the higher spec Factory version will feature better suspension and brakes, but both have adjustable engine mounts allowing the engine to be moved 10mm up or down, as well as a movable swingarm pivot and a changeable head stock angle.
Aprilia RSV4 launch teaser - Motorcycle News

The article lays out Aprilia's SBK racing strategy:
Year 1: Finish in the top 10 pts standing
Year 2: Start winning races
Year 3: Win the championship

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Aprillia was throwing a party for (I assume) owners at the Indy Mile at the State Fairgrounds the night before the GP... trust me, they have quite a few fans. :)

If I wasn't so biased on the KTM train, I'd probably have an Aprillia before a Duc when it comes to the Euros.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just brought a Shiver home tonight and it is a blast. I can't wait until tomorrow to take it to the twisties. It is like a 750 supermotard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just spoke to a buddy of mine that works at Fay Myers (local bike shop that carries Aprilia) and he said the Aprilia rep is coming next week so he'll have a bunch of good info. He also said that Aprilia is bringing a 2-stroke sportbike to the US in 2009. He wasn't sure if it was going to be a 125cc or 250cc. :banana:banana

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I love my baby and wouldn't trade her for a "Big 4" bike. Plus I can always find her in a crowd. :D

They are a bargin if you look. I paid $6200 for my 2003 with 2900 miles on her in July, with a $1,900.00 exhaust system on her, plus all the standard goodies, like the radial gold brembo's, carbon fibre galore, full Ohlins including damper, etc...

RSV4 is HOT! :drool

1 - 20 of 54 Posts