Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Published Wednesday, July 21, 2004 10:06:22 AM CDT)

Associated Press

APPLETON, Wis. -- A man in a wheelchair who makes obscene gestures to the crews of passing trains was injured when he got a little too close to one of them, police said.

A gas tank on a train engine clipped the wheelchair of Leland Laird, 54, Tuesday evening, causing him to fall out of the damaged chair and injure his arm, police said.

Laird told officers he has been wheelchair-bound since 1989 when a car he was driving was struck by a train near Fremont.

But that's not the reason he periodically "flips off" the trains, Lt. Pat Matuszewski said.

He told police he puts himself where train crews can see him - engineers and conductors consider him a regular - and makes obscene gestures because he is frustrated by their loud horns.

"He lives right near the intersection. That's his way of addressing the loud horns blowing," Matuszewski said.

Laird was treated at Appleton Medical Center for an abrasion to his left arm, ticketed as a pedestrian for violating traffic signals, and told to find less dangerous ways to express himself.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
so the dumbass gets hit by a train...is all pissed off because of their horns, which if he would have listened for the first time he wouldn't be in a wheelchair????????

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I live two blocks away from a RR crossing and I don't even notice them any more. You actually get so used to them that it doesn't even register in your head that one is going by after a while.

·
Registered
753 Posts
train

I imagine this will not alleviate the mans anger or attitude towards trains. He should start making miniture sets at home and blowing them up like the Adams family did on TV.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hahaha.. people are so crazy. The other day there was this homeless guy under the overpass standing there on the side of the road mooning everyone that drove past, I died laughing riding past him.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Watch now he'll get $$ because they knew he was going near the trains but failed to prevent it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts