1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
looks like a concept bike to me

·
Registered
323 Posts
28000 um let me check blows into wallet and a moth flys out nope not on hand lol
looks like a fun bike though a bit heavy looking too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Everyone should know that bike. It's the Honda NR 750. It was a unique design using a V4 motor with oval shaped pistons, 32 valves, made about 130 HP.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Eyespy said:
Everyone should know that bike. It's the Honda NR 750. It was a unique design using a V4 motor with oval shaped pistons, 32 valves, made about 130 HP.
8 valves/cylinder, that's an impressive valvetrain.

·
Registered
910 Posts
MaxDriver said:
8 valves/cylinder, that's an impressive valvetrain.
But each of the 4 cylinders/pistons are oval in shape. You can think of it as a V-8 with 4 valves per cylinder, but with adjacent piston pairs joined together with the space between them filled in, creating the oval shape.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Yeah, and it was supposed to be a world-beater and lasted for what, a year? I never heard what killed the thing. Anybody?

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Drifter said:
Yeah, and it was supposed to be a world-beater and lasted for what, a year? I never heard what killed the thing. Anybody?
the FIM killed it. they banned the use of oval pistons in four stroke engines. abck when the NR (not-round) was being developed gp bikes were two-strokes. honda never liked two-strokes and was always looking for a way to make four strokes competitive so they could stop building and racing the two strokes. they raced a early version in 1985 and finished 10th in one race and smashed the bike to bits in another race when it leaked oil all over the rear wheel. the other manufacturers lobbied to get the thing banned. they realized the potential it had and with honda having the patent no one else would have a chance. the FIM allowed four strokes to race in GP but they had to be "conventional" round pistons. oval pistons were not allowed in WSBK either. without a class the bike could be raced it became a tech showcase for honda.

there were a few other interesting things about the bike besides the oval pistons. the bodywork was some type of carbon fiber composite. i don't rememebr the specifics other than it was pretty trick for the time.

Honda was pretty sure the bke would be a world beater. there was talk that with minor tuning (black box, exhaust and de-restricted intake) the bike would put out well over 160 hp and in full race tune up to 200.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is a sexy bike and I would gladly pay that to own a piece of history.

In 20 years, that thing could put my kids through college with change left over.

I have lots of technical photos of the engine I will post up when I get home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts