Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my annual trip through Washington, Idaho and Montana on the FZ6. I did about 2,000 miles in 8 days all together. On the way over and the way back I did 600 miles each day in about 11 hours each.

I'm thinking I could do the Iron Butt no problem. I'm sure I can do 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I want to go from Seattle to Missoula, Montana and back. Each way is almost exactly 500 miles on I-90. I want to leave at about 2:00 AM from Seattle and expect to arrive in Missoula about noon PST. Then about a 4 hour nap and another 10 hours back to Seattle just before 2:00 AM the next day. This way I miss the Seattle area rush hour traffic.

I'm sure the FZ6 is fast enough and comfortable enough. I have bar risers, grip puppies and gel gloves for my arms and wrists and a strap on gel pad for my skinny ass. During my trip I was never really uncomfortable on the bike. I don't mind cruising at 90+ mph especially in Idaho and Montana so 500 miles in 10 hours is not a problem even taking a break every 200 miles or so for gas, food and stretching.

Has anyone done an Iron Butt on the FZ6? Maybe I can be the first.

If anyone wants to do it with me I would welcome the company. Here's the link to what the "Iron Butt" is all about:

http://www.ironbutt.com

Bill

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
BillfromBothell said:
I just got back from my annual trip through Washington, Idaho and Montana on the FZ6. I did about 2,000 miles in 8 days all together. On the way over and the way back I did 600 miles each day in about 11 hours each.

I'm thinking I could do the Iron Butt no problem. I'm sure I can do 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I want to go from Seattle to Missoula, Montana and back. Each way is almost exactly 500 miles on I-90. I want to leave at about 2:00 AM from Seattle and expect to arrive in Missoula about noon PST. Then about a 4 hour nap and another 10 hours back to Seattle just before 2:00 AM the next day. This way I miss the Seattle area rush hour traffic.

I'm sure the FZ6 is fast enough and comfortable enough. I have bar risers, grip puppies and gel gloves for my arms and wrists and a strap on gel pad for my skinny ass. During my trip I was never really uncomfortable on the bike. I don't mind cruising at 90+ mph especially in Idaho and Montana so 500 miles in 10 hours is not a problem even taking a break every 200 miles or so for gas, food and stretching.

Has anyone done an Iron Butt on the FZ6? Maybe I can be the first.

If anyone wants to do it with me I would welcome the company. Here's the link to what the "Iron Butt" is all about:

http://www.ironbutt.com

Bill

I have not done one but, 1000 in 24 hrs averages out to 45 mph. Any bike could do that.

I wouldn't mind doing one but, I would prefer to do a loop on secondary roads, not go somewhere and double back.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bill,
Don't forget the quick blast to Oregon & back on the weekend of Sept 10th(WCR).
You'll hardly get your motor warmed up!
We should hook up & ride locally some eve.
MaxxfromWoodinville :D

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
rennsport said:
I have not done one but, 1000 in 24 hrs averages out to 45 mph. Any bike could do that.

I wouldn't mind doing one but, I would prefer to do a loop on secondary roads, not go somewhere and double back.
The bike can do that all day long, but the question is whether or not the RIDER can do it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have done 270 miles in about 3 hours before i am sure you could get there and back in way less then 24 hours. and getting your needed 8 hours of sleep.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
04Fizzer said:
The bike can do that all day long, but the question is whether or not the RIDER can do it.
I don't see why not. Now I would get bored droning down the interstate. Riding bacroads and passing through small towns, now that would keep me interested and enjoying the ride.

If you averaged 70 mph and did not stop but for gas, you could do it in 14.5 hours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maxx

Where have you been? I haven't seen you on the road and I'm out all the time in the Woodinville/Duvall/Carnation/Monroe area.

Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am very interested, although the night riding around these parts is dangerous.

Here in Montana, 2 pairs of bikers in the last couple of days hit deer, with each party having one member die. The first were 2 bikes from NJ (where I just moved from), one biker dead, the second was 2 up with driver dying passenger surviving barely.)

Point is beware of the night portions of your trip, personally I'd want to do the highly populated areas at night, and less populated at noon.

I will be heading west from Bozeman on around Labor Day weekend to join up with one NY friend, and one California friend for a week of touring. Since it seems that we will spend time on the west coast, it looks like I will do an Iron Butt to get to cali, then tour with those guys, then a more relaxed cruise home.

BTW - I just did a 24 hour trip from Littleton CO to Bozeman MT (740 miles) with a 12 hour stop in Billings due to wicked Lightning storms. 12 hours riding time. I25 through Wyoming will kill you with boredom.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
drive through ohio on 70, at least in wyoming there is good scenery. ohio is nothing but cornfields. it sucks even more when you pass the motorcycle hall of fame at 3 in the morning and realize that they are probably closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts