Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been considering if an automatic bike would have made motorcycle riding more enjoyable? While having a clutch is nice such as when I want to go into a turn, it sometimes feels like a burden when in hard to lane split traffic (when cars are tightly packed) areas or constant stop n go situations. Because if you stop or go slowly, you either have to hold the clutch in a long time which strains the hand or shift a bunch of gears to get the bike in neutral, then do it all over again when you get going. Or if you're trying to inch along in heavy traffic, you always have to feather the clutch and when your feet need to touch the ground, it makes it harder to shift. Because you can't keep both feet on the bike when standing still.

I don't mind the clutch when on the freeway going a constant speed because then I barely have to use the clutch and don't really have to stop.

Would having an automatic bike solve any problems, or will there be burdens with automatic that make me want to go back to having a clutch?

I looked online and some people who prefer clutch say being on an automatic bike feels weird and feels like they have less control. But then the guys who are for automatic say you don't need to mess with a clutch. I see the Honda NC700 has an automatic option, but I did ride it but I didn't like how it rode. I really liked the features it had like a helmet storage, but it didn't have that body fairing like the Ninja and it was also taller making it less comfortable.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Need a selective clutch where you can select, with a switch, between automatic and standard.

Have ridden smaller bikes where there was no clutch but gears were shifted, and then the old centrifugal clutch type, just gas and go, but never one that would up shift/down shift automatically.
Not sure I would like that to much, I don't use the clutch except to take off and stop, the rest of the time I just shift with no clutch.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The Honda DN-01 was a massively good seller and hot looker. I recommend it. (The FJR 1300 AE and VFR 1200 Auto you wouldn't like, due to weight.) So, off you go to the Honda shop. Be sure to get top dollar for your Ninja 650.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Honda DN-01 was a massively good seller and hot looker. I recommend it. (The FJR 1300 AE and VFR 1200 Auto you wouldn't like, due to weight.) So, off you go to the Honda shop. Be sure to get top dollar for your Ninja 650.
I saw that bike when looking up auto bikes. But it's discontinued and they are not easy to find. I never seen this bike in all the dealerships I went to, nor can I find any on craigslist. I looked on bike websites and I would have to travel to look at this bike, I don't see any local ones. Why was it discontinued because I did look at Honda bikes and this one was not there.

But I like the Ninja650 for having that nice sized fairing and being a sport bike. I don't mind having a clutch on the open road, but it gets in the way when navigating around tight traffic or doing lots of stop n go.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I don't mind having a clutch on the open road, but it gets in the way when navigating around tight traffic or doing lots of stop n go.

gets in the way? it gets in the way as much as the throttle does.

I wish they would make a motorcycle with an auto throttle. I hate having to twist the throttle and hold it there, let it go back to idle at stops etc. it's just SUCH a hassle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
They do, but the DN-01 is just such raw awesomeness... The CTX is just 'meh' in comparison.

Lookit that beauty, it looks unlike anything else out there. I can't imagine why they only sold 4 of them across the world during their 3 year tenner.

*tongue explodes through cheek*

·
Registered
175 Posts
gets in the way? it gets in the way as much as the throttle does.

I wish they would make a motorcycle with an auto throttle. I hate having to twist the throttle and hold it there, let it go back to idle at stops etc. it's just SUCH a hassle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Could do a thumb throttle like a Quad. :tremble

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Just get a Segway to match your skirt and call it a day.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
OP, you haven't been riding long enough to know what you want. Ride what you have for a year or more. Operating the controls isn't really very hard; you'll get used to it. Then you can see what you like best.

For city use or general transport, the big scooters are great. They have plenty of power, good storage space, good weather protection, and are pretty much all automatics. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Aprilia, Piaggio, and a few others make big scoots in the 400cc to 650cc range that are generally very useful and practical. Aprilia also makes the Mana 850, which is an automatic and has space for storing a helmet in what looks like the gas tank, but looks like a regular half-faired bike, not a scooter.

Part of the problem you seem to be having is that you are very flighty, not having much idea what you want or need and changing your mind every three seconds. You have a good bike now. I'd advise you stick with it a while and figure out what you're doing, before changing to something else.

PhilB

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I'm with Phil. Stop trying to figure out what's wrong with the bike, and realize that the problems, all of them, land on you. There is nothing wrong with the bike, only the rider. Also stop trying to split lanes and ride like someone who actually knows something, because you don't, Unless you really do want to end up another bloody statistic that is.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm with Phil. Stop trying to figure out what's wrong with the bike, and realize that the problems, all of them, land on you. There is nothing wrong with the bike, only the rider. Also stop trying to split lanes and ride like someone who actually knows something, because you don't, Unless you really do want to end up another bloody statistic that is.
For one I wish he already had joined the "wrecked and scared to ride again" statistic.

No, I don't believe in karma.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I have been considering if an automatic bike would have made motorcycle riding more enjoyable? While having a clutch is nice such as when I want to go into a turn, it sometimes feels like a burden when in hard to lane split traffic (when cars are tightly packed) areas or constant stop n go situations. Because if you stop or go slowly, you either have to hold the clutch in a long time which strains the hand or shift a bunch of gears to get the bike in neutral, then do it all over again when you get going. Or if you're trying to inch along in heavy traffic, you always have to feather the clutch and when your feet need to touch the ground, it makes it harder to shift. Because you can't keep both feet on the bike when standing still.

I don't mind the clutch when on the freeway going a constant speed because then I barely have to use the clutch and don't really have to stop.

Would having an automatic bike solve any problems, or will there be burdens with automatic that make me want to go back to having a clutch?

I looked online and some people who prefer clutch say being on an automatic bike feels weird and feels like they have less control. But then the guys who are for automatic say you don't need to mess with a clutch. I see the Honda NC700 has an automatic option, but I did ride it but I didn't like how it rode. I really liked the features it had like a helmet storage, but it didn't have that body fairing like the Ninja and it was also taller making it less comfortable.

Maybe Google will make a motorcycle for you...

(are you listening, Google?)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts