Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, heres the deal:

about 2 weeks ago i noticed that my notebook screen would only work at a certain angle, if it wasnt at that angle then it would just be a blank white screen, almost as if there was a loose wire going into the screen.

a few days ago it just stopped working at any angle, until I noticed that if you applied pressure to the notebook just above and to the left of the keypad the screen would work again. So I called up HP and told them about the problem and they sent out a box to mail the notebook to them in for them to take a look at.

in the time between talking to them on the phone and the box arriving i had made the decision to just throw one of my small wood clamps on the corner of the notebook where i had been applying pressure to make the screen work and that kept it working until i would remove the clamp. well just now i took the clamp off and the screen is working fine, i tapped the spot a few times with my index finger to see if the screen would go again and it hasnt yet.

so here comes the question, do i send in the notebook anyways with a description of the product and hope that they open it up and see an obvious problem? or do I hang onto the computer until it screws up again and then send it in? im afraid that if i send it in now theyre just gonna look at it, see that its working, and send it right back without actually looking into it too well and ill just go 2 weeks without a computer for no reason.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would just wait until it did it again. If you send it off now there is a chance that they won't really look into the problem like they should. They might just check some connections and if it's working they'll send it back to you, and it could go out again.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats exactly what im worried about, id just also like to have it fixed while its under warranty

·
Registered
164 Posts
im afraid that if i send it in now theyre just gonna look at it, see that its working, and send it right back without actually looking into it too well and ill just go 2 weeks without a computer for no reason.

Yes thats exactly what will happen. Before they can fix it, the problem must be demonstrable. Depending on how much warranty time you have left, you might want to wiggle the thing until it starts acting up again, and then ship it off with a description that the problem is intermittent. If you tell them its intermittent then they're more likely to screw with it to try to reproduce your problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like the ribbon cable that feeds your screen is coming loose. If it's working now, I wouldn't send it in but as soon as it does it again you should go ahead and let them look at it. I would say just disassemble the thing, but that would of course void your warrenty which isn't worth it even for such an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, ill hang onto it now and see if i can play with it and get it to be problematic again. i have the box here to send the computer in, should i call them and tell them that it seems fine now? could i just hang on to the box and just mail it as soon as it has a problem again? that way i dont have to wait the 3 days for the box to ship out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts