151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no other choice really except storing it outside :(

we have a hatchway with cement steps and its really steep

is it impossible? give me some ideas :nerd

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would just throw down a piece of 3/4'' plywood and some how secure it so it won' slide anywhere and ride that bitch ride down ;) Nah, seriously just slip in neutral and let gravity do its thing with you riding the break (rear!!!). I don't think there are too many options to get it down there.....getting out might be fun though...I would have people push it up with you instead of riding it just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
646 Posts
Man, I was in this SAME EXACT situation a few weeks ago about storing a bike in a basement with the hactchway and the steep ass steps.
I never got into it because the basement itself wasnt big enough to maneuver around. But the steps did have me worried cuz it was so steep. think I could have sent plywood down into it, but the it looked like inorder to get plywood long enough to lessen the steepness, then the bike would ride 'too tall' and would scrap the ceiling on entry. Or not make it in there at all. So good luck with it. I know how its gonna be...

·
Registered
456 Posts
what i did is hook up a winch and let it down slowly. my steps are steep and there is 9 of them. i got a 2x10x8 board well using the front brake walk along it and will go down nicely

·
Registered
98 Posts
I stored my f4i in the basement in the winter. My house doesn't have a hatchway, just tiny windows and stairs. It wasn't too bad going down, but taking it up was quite a pain, my dad and I pushed it up all the stairs.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
use a plank or thick plywood and you shouldnt have any trouble just have some friends help you

·
Registered
36 Posts
i keep my bike in our basement year round(its a walkout basement) i just ride it through the yard and through the door to the basement and park it. kinda nice because warm days pop up here in KY sometimes in December and January.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SteveF4i said:
I stored my f4i in the basement in the winter. My house doesn't have a hatchway, just tiny windows and stairs. It wasn't too bad going down, but taking it up was quite a pain, my dad and I pushed it up all the stairs.
True! Pushing the bike up and out will be more challenging, but with a coupla gearhead friends to help you out, that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yeah don't try doing anything by yourself. Have a friend look out for you.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I would just pay to store it, personally. Some places are like $80 bucks for the whole winter (November-April). No one can get in, and no one can get out, so it will be safe.

It just seems like an easier solution than risking droping the bike while riding it down a steep ass plank of wood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm maybe i can store at my dads buddys..he has a huge house and stores ~10 cars in his basement during the winter

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
I stored my '02 YZF 600R in the basement. Just went to Home Depot and bought a nice sturdy 12x2 and one of their ramp kits (metal brackets for one end with a rubber pad to prevent sliding). With that, I mad it down a few stairs into my basement and I did it by myself - ride the brake on the way down standing next to the bike, and I just started the bike, and let it drive itself out - standing next to it on the way out.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I bought my bike it was in a basement...I got 3 friends and went step by step up the stair and out the door. It took like an hour to get it up like 10 stairs, a real pain in the ass. Make a "doghouse" to store it in overnite :alky

·
Registered
346 Posts
this seems like a big hassel, especially getting it out. ever think of buying one of those small wooden sheds. it would protect the bike from the elements and you could lock it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts