Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sales background an am looking for a new job. I interviewed today with the local cycle shop and it seems like it would be a pretty decent job. Anybody here sell for a living and have any advice? I was already warned of the "squid wave" as they call it when all the high school graduates come in wanting GSXR1000s for graduation presents. The dealer has a policy allowing the salesman to decide weather or not the customer is ready for a particular bike and to deny selling it to them if they feel they are not ready which I liked.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SQUID KILLER is a yammy dealer.

texmex1 is honda sale mgr. he might not have reregistered

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
qwik huh said:
I have a sales background an am looking for a new job. I interviewed today with the local cycle shop and it seems like it would be a pretty decent job. Anybody here sell for a living and have any advice? I was already warned of the "squid wave" as they call it when all the high school graduates come in wanting GSXR1000s for graduation presents. The dealer has a policy allowing the salesman to decide weather or not the customer is ready for a particular bike and to deny selling it to them if they feel they are not ready which I liked.
Ok the thing you are going to have to think about though (and this is the reason I could NEVER be a motorcycle dealer) is you have a family to feed, and if someone comes in that you know isn't ready for the bike, but is waving cash in front of your face, can you turn that down? I don't think I could, I would feel terrible selling it someone who I knew was gonna wreck it because they can't handle it, but at the same time, I'd be working there to make money, I can lecture people on SBN and not have to lose a sale. So, yeah, sounds like a fun job, but I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
We have that policy and keep lots of MSF flyers here to give out. We try not to say "Your a fool kid and you dont need this R1" and go into "Well you know, THIS bike here would be great to start out on and cost you less money and teach you riding skills better."

Most kids are VERY receptive when you let them know its ok to start small and we really care about their safety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You would never make money in the business of selling motorcycles if you didnt sell bikes to anyone who wasnt ready for it. Not many bikes would get sold that way because most people who buy bikes arent ready for them. Theres no way to predict in the salesroom who is gonna wreck and who isnt. You cant beat yourself up because some dumb guy you sold a bike to is dead now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the nice thing with this dealership is the salary....They have incentives based on performance but you get a decent salary so you can turn away business occasionally. I know that many people buy over their heads so the best you can hope for is to give them the proper info and get them gear. From what I can tell they will not sell liter bikes to anyone who never rode before.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I aggree with firefighter(for the first time). I couldn't sell a bike to someone who wasn't ready for it or who couldn't afford it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sales is sales in my opinion. If I saw a newb come in wanting a R1, I would persuade him to buy something smaller, but if he has the money/credit I'd probably sell it to him if that is what he really wanted. Sales is cut throat, take what you can get kind of job.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Its strange here because all 3 of us salesmen are MSF instructors. We spend just as much time talking training as we do about the bikes. Our sales are great even though we do discourage some riders from buying certain bike.

Its better to put someone of the right bike today so they will be around tomorrow to buy again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
a good salesman can sell anything, talk a person out of anything, and get a person to buy something. talk them out of b***** and sell smaller. a good salesman can do that.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
i was general manager at a yamaha dealership for 6 1/2 years till last may. if you are in a good area there is money to be made especially when the manifacture has some incintivies going. at the shop i was at i could sell or not sell if i wanted. usually i would give my recomendations and if they wanted something else then i usually sold it to them after all they were going to buy from someone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts