Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has scraped their pegs yet. I know there is someone out there that has....and not with a passenger. That's cheating...hehehe.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Not me...I still have my chicken strips, but they got a tad smaller this past weekend. Call me skered. I would like to know if anyone has though as it would make me more confident that it'll go down there and still make it back up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I will admit having the pegs touch, more on the left side that the right, guess I feel I can go lower on the left than the right. But that whole thing about making sure your tires are warm is so true....If I know I am going to hit some twisties I will make sure I weeve back and forth to warm up the tires first, traffic permitting, before going low. I almost feel I can drag a knee.....but I wont, thats for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is impressive gentlemen!!!

I've got newer tires (Bridgestone BT020) so I've slowly been getting rid of the strips. I've got about an either of an inch on both sides left to scuff. The previous Dunlop D252's we're worn and I had about a sixteenth of an inch left on both sides. So no, I haven't scraped a peg yet. I will admit that I am a little more cautious with the Bridgestone's than the Dunlops, not sure why... I think it takes longer to warm the Bridgestones up therefore all the sliding I'm feeling is making it harder to get used to them...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm so glad you guys asked the question because I've been wondering the same thing. Everytime I get low I think "surely I'll get down there this time" and nope... never do.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Yeah!!! that's what i wanted to hear. Now i'm motivated! I'll work on the strips first. Had a great ride this past weekend with JK750. We hit it harder than I ever have but still have a lot to learn. Here's a pic of our bikes at a little store we stopped at for breakfast.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I actually wore a set of feelers out with the Dunlops on a trackday, so yeah she will go further than you think.
However, I also wore the Dunlops out, bought another set of feelers from the local stealership, you should have seen the look on thier face when I asked if they would take the old one's in exchange..;)

It would also be prudent to add that I weigh 220lbs so the suspension is a little more settled than with you light weight kiddies. :twofinger

I will say this though, I will not attempt to do the same on the road, any road any time, as the track is always clean of debris and no stupid cages to pull out on you.

If you ever took any advice from this old Pommie, you would do the same, keep the scraping of the pegs on the race track and stay healthy longer.
We have had a spate of driver error crashes here in the Pan Handle of Florida lately, predominantly Marines or navy Types from the NAS (Navy Air Station), all have been quite seriously hurt or killed due to riding too fast around a corner and hitting some gravel.

So please be safe out there folks,

Skippy (Sermon Off)

·
Registered
64 Posts
No chicken strip on the left and about a 1/4 inch on the right but have not scraped a peg. Guess I have a little more confidence on the left handers?
I'm curious if it can be done on an FZ6 with stock tires. I got in hot on a ride awhile back and leaned over further than I ever have - barely pulled it out before going off road. Didn't scrape a peg then but could easily have gotten a knee down. If someone has done it then I'll know I can go much lower than I normally do.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Haven't done it but hope to once I get some damn gear. My strips were pretty even till I hit the ye ol local twistie, the on ramp to I-95. I wore the right strip almost gone. No lefty on ramps that I know of so I don't expect to come close to scrapping that side. I don't know how low I was. I think I could have stretched a knee out but I want to keep my skin as long as possible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
question

I know what chicken strips are, but do you measure from the VERY EDGE of the tire? where do you start measuring your chicken strips?

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa FAZR6!!! When did you get those fairings??? I really like how it curves around the already beautiful frame. Very nicely put together bike you got there.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm new to this board since I just got my FZ6 two weeks ago. Was a cruiser kinda guy (Kaw Mean Streak), but started scraping the frame on it so decided I needed to get a bike that can handle what I need it to do. WOW, the fun really begins!

Last week I took it up to the Blueridge Parkway for the first time. Rt. 501 around Snowden has some incredible switchbacks and I touched down on the left side on one of those. It felt good and not like I was over the edge. What amazes me with this bike is it doesn't seem like I'm leaning it nearly as hard as I did the MS, very confidence inspiring, this bike is awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had original Dunlop D252 and with that tire you cant touch street with pegs (you can but it is risky) I did not have chicken strip and I didnt fell street vith pegs
Now I have D207RR and I have litle chicken strip but the pegs are scarped
With race tire you can get more cornering with no thinking about faling down
D252 is turist tire, and D207RR is race tire
You can see the diference

Red line is race tire
Blue line is turist tire

·
Registered
155 Posts
about 1/4" of strippage on each side, but I have not touched a peg yet.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Warmed up the tires and took it down through some intense twisties (anyone heard of 2222 in Austin, TX?). I was off the seat and leaning it so far that the back end started getting squirrely. Never hit the pegs, but made it to both ends of the stock tires. No more strips. Don't know that I will be trying that again... I hate that uneasy feeling in the back. The track would be fun.... bwaaahahaha ahahha ahaha.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't see much problem with grinding pegs, other than the untunable rear. This guy here looks ready to throw down a knee :)

Photo courtesy of Motorcycle Daily:

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
im in the quarter club too. 1/4 " is as far as i have went to so far. Im gonna finish them off when i get my lower gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I scraped my pegs my first day on my FZ6. I scraped because I was riding it like I used to ride my R6, which has much higher and further back pegs, then I adjusted my riding style for this bike. Scraping a peg is a very easy way to find yourself in a ditch. If you hit the peg hard enough and it causes you to pivot off of the peg, you will more than likely high side once your rear tire touches the ground and regains traction. If you are hitting pegs, it means you probably need to get out of your seat a little more to decrease your lean angle and to help carry more speed through a curve.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts