Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

it seems like the general consensus is that ABS is the better way to go, however i still picked up a 2013 cbr250 non abs earlier this year.....

im curious to how many of you picked up a 2012/2013 bike that had the option for abs but still went for the non abs......and why did you choose it?

honestly, i probably would have gone back to purchase the abs if i could, but for now i will ride safe with what i got....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
TBH when buying a bike or a car if it does or doesn't have ABS is not a consideration for me, I have driven and ridden many years with out it I don't suddenly feel the need to have it.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
ABS wasn't an option (in the U.S.) on the 2012 ZX-14R when I purchased it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
All of a sudden now, since ABS was offered on new bikes, everyone on a slightly older bike without ABS has been locking up their shit! Oh the humanity!

ABS is a nice useful tool, but like Nero said.. What did we all do before it? We rode carefully.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What did we all do before it? We rode carefully.
What did car drivers do before seat belts? What did airline pilots do before ground prox warning systems? What did race car drivers do before HANS? Child car seats? Helmets? "The old way worked so why bother with the new one." Is not a valid argument when it comes to safety devices. ESPECIALLY when there is statistical evidence showing that the safety device has substantial affect on fatalities: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/mf2042.pdf

If you choose to ride without ABS on the street that's your choice. Don't kid yourself though, you'd be significantly safer with ABS.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What did car drivers do before seat belts? What did airline pilots do before ground prox warning systems? What did race car drivers do before HANS? Child car seats? Helmets? "The old way worked so why bother with the new one." Is not a valid argument when it comes to safety devices. ESPECIALLY when there is statistical evidence showing that the safety device has substantial affect on fatalities: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/mf2042.pdf

If you choose to ride without ABS on the street that's your choice. Don't kid yourself though, you'd be significantly safer with ABS.
I never said it wasn't.. But it's not like a bike without ABS is some death trap that should be sold or scrapped immediately.

Reactions: kirkeb

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Chose no ABS on my 2012 CBR 1K, not sure if I'm stupid or cocky. :duh2
The obvious answer is both sonce you didn't list the most common and first option.

Theres nothing wrong with going the cheaper route but if it were the same price it woild leave two.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got my 2013 Ninja ZX-6R without ABS. ABS was something I really wasn't interested in, I'm not concerned with locking up my breaks, done it before on my previous bike and know how to handle it.

I will say that I appreciate the traction control, especially when it's downpouring :)

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Bought a 2012 NC700X in May w/out ABS. The DCT version has the ABS. I could care less about ABS. Did not want the auto tranny.

·
Registered
272 Posts
While I think ABS on a bike is good, and definitely safer, I don't think it's as necessary as it is on cars and trucks. We have much more control over our brake input on motorcycles, in my opinion, due to there being two separate inputs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would never even consider buying ABS on a bike. Out of all of the crashes I've had, would of ABS had helped me? No. Traction control...maybe. ABS would be nice in rain or snow, I'll admit that, but for dry weather, why bother.

·
Registered
569 Posts
While I think ABS on a bike is good, and definitely safer, I don't think it's as necessary as it is on cars and trucks. We have much more control over our brake input on motorcycles, in my opinion, due to there being two separate inputs.
More control, but at the cost of complexity. During a panic stop on a motorcycle you have to balance front/rear brake balance while at the same time evaluating whatever situation your panic stopping for. There's also the fact that we're dealing with a drastically smaller contact patch than a car. Speaking of cars, they tend not to fall over if you lock the front tires, motorcycles on the other hand..

Your control argument is moot for another reason. A good ABS controller wont intervene until you've already screwed up at which point you're already out of control. Additionally, a good ABS controller will also be able to react before your brain has even processed the fact that you've locked a wheel. Motorcycle ABS has come a long way in just the past few years.

Out of all of the crashes I've had, would of ABS had helped me? No.
Out of all the crashes I've had, would my helmet have helped me? No. But I'm not going to ride without one.

ABS would be nice in rain or snow, I'll admit that, but for dry weather, why bother.
Why bother?
-Gravel
-Oil
-Manhole Covers
-Tar Snakes
-Anything else that you may not notice on the road because you're eyes are locked on the left turner who just pulled out on you.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I would never even consider buying ABS on a bike. Out of all of the crashes I've had, would of ABS had helped me? No. Traction control...maybe. ABS would be nice in rain or snow, I'll admit that, but for dry weather, why bother.
if you had a choice and it was the same price? i was in your shoes and used to say the same but with my current bike, I cant think of ever having 'slipped' even though a few times i expected it...moreso TC than ABS but i hope i never feel abs kick in.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts