Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just wondering if anyone owns both a scooter and sport bike?

Sport bikes are fun when you got open road and for long trips that won't be interfered with traffic lights. But driving a sport bike in an area with a bunch of traffic lights gets pretty boring and tedious with all the shifting.

I did consider a scooter before getting the Ninja 650 because it had more practical features like trunks and cup holders, and also made for urban commuting. But I remember test driving a burgmann and taking it on an open road was fine, but wasn't as fun as something like the Gladius. But for something that does not need to shift, I thought it would be more fun to use in stop and go environments with a bunch of traffic lights and maybe more nimble for lane splitting on local roads.

So yeah what is the difference? Sport bikes seem more fun to ride if you actually wanna ride for fun, but scooters seem more practical to get around a congested city with stop and go traffic. What makes a sport bike fun makes it hard to use in a congested city, but seems sport bike riders still ride there anyways. Each seem to have their own pros and cons, so how did you decide to forgo the convenience of scooters and ride sport bikes?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Scooters are great and practical urban transport. I have some myself, although mine are old enough that they do require shifting.

PhilB

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sport bikes are fun when you got open road and for long trips that won't be interfered with traffic lights. But driving a sport bike in an area with a bunch of traffic lights gets pretty boring and tedious with all the shifting.
Shouldn't you own a motorcycle longer than a week before you start laying down blanket statements about what riding a sports bike is like? How many long trips have you taken? Have you even got the odometer past purchase mileage + 50?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've got a Vespa GT200 that is a lot of fun. Practical too. I used it all the time when I lived downtown and needed to make grocery runs, or other outings. The storage under the seat and the top case I added gave me loads of cargo space.

There is definitely an appeal to having both.

·
Registered
731 Posts
One downfall to scooters is that it is more tricky to put them into Neutral at high speeds. This would cause you to have to learn a whole new skill set when exiting highway ramps at 60 mph. You might want to master one form of riding first, before putting more on your plate.

If you decide to go the scooter route and want to get rid of the sportbike, I'll pay you 10% + Prime Rate X current value of your bike. PM me if interested.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Scooter could probably be a fine, practical choice for you.

however a sportbike forum is not the best/most reliable place for you to get information about scooters.

i suggest you move to a scooter forum and ask your questions there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yolie in Commute Mode

Bags easily carried anything I wanted. Expanded to cover the necessities for an overnight somewhere. And to be honest, while riding around the city I CAN'T SHIFT unless it's a really looooooong block. Definitely almost never leave 1st gear while in South Philly :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a Honda Metropolitan. It's pretty cool but since you have your MC license, I'd get something above 50cc's.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Is it tedious and boring to put your legs down at stops, or to use your blinker or to turn the bike on?
I'm sorry to sound snarky but the level of laziness in your OP makes my brain hurt a little.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Oh yeah, you ain't been back for long.

You'll get used to him, don't worry.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Is it tedious and boring to put your legs down at stops, or to use your blinker or to turn the bike on?
I'm sorry to sound snarky but the level of laziness in your OP makes my brain hurt a little.
ohh, that's right you are not familiar with our local jet falcon.

jet falcon is an interesting kid, he rented a Honda Grom once.

bought a motorcycle 2? weeks ago.

and doesn't work with every one that nobody cares about in California.

basically, you remember potato? jet falcon is the cheep knock off, discount bin, found in a thrift shop, replacement we bought after potato left ( btw "left" in this context does not imply that potato had any choice in the leaving).

if you want to experience the full jet falcon, look through all the threads he started.

or just wait a week.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep scooters are great. Sippin' on my big gulp lane splitting. The trunk space is great for the stereo system I added. I think it's the perfect fit for you JetFalcon!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Do we know for sure he actually has a bike. Has he even given us pictures of it yet? I saw a guy with a helmet mohawk splitting lanes down the 5 about the same week he supposedly got it, was that you falcon?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts