Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used 99 BMW K1200LT and wondered what anyone thought about BMW motorcycles in general? I'll probably put around 20,000 miles a year on it asa daily driver.

How's their quality? How are the service intervals? Is the service typically affordable? Can you service it yourself assuming that you have been able to service sportbikes? Who much is OEM oil and filter? Are they easy to change? Stuff like that.

Thanks!

Randall

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Some dude on here recently had pictures of his new Beemer posted up... check the pics forum and PM him. I believe he was on his second Beemer.

Never owned one (yet...), but for what it's worth... the BMWs I find for sale all have rediculous-high mileage. Their owners obviously ride them long and hard (unless they use the center-stand to pull a Bueller just to keep the "image" of BMW riders as hard-core alive... but I doubt it). Must be something to them -

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Top notch bikes with exceptional quality. I can't speak about they're cost of service, or ease of doing it yourself, but I've NEVER heard of a complaint about them.

Most BMW riders seem to get a kick out of crazy shit. Like, riding across country and back, for no other reason than to do it...not for the scenery, just interstate both ways.

I also don't think I've EVER seen a BMW with less than 100k miles on it either. I also seem to remember hearing that their "break in period" is 15k miles.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
BMW has really gotten their act together this past year. After a few years of questional machines (RS, anyone?), the new models seem to be the real thing. Actually I think they're the most exciting new motorcycles out there right now. Everyone is raving about the new suspension and performance/weight is better than ever. If I could get any new bike right now I'd have to choose between the K1200S, R1200GS and the 1200ST - in that order.

One of my good buddies got the new K1200S and supposedly the valve adjustment interval is on par with most jap bikes. Also the final drive oil is supposed to be "lifetime" oil which I think is pretty cool.

Um no, i don't actually own a BMW yet so I'm still a poser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts