Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I topped out my 929 on an empty open stretch of highway yesterday, and it hit 260kph (161mph) at 10500 rpm, and I am pretty sure that was maxed out in 6th... I thought it would get a little higher than that, as it should do about 280 kph (173mph).
I'm no squid, but I wanted to see how much speed I could get out of a mostly bone stock 929. I have a 2 bros slipon, stock gearing, and she has new tires on her... so no real HP modifications. I pretty much don't have to do it on this bike anyways, as I will not be able to ride past its limits on the street.
I had her maxed out for a very limited amount of time, so don't think I am a nut or anything :bitchslap
Question:
What is the average (real world) top speed of the 929's, and not the claimed numbers from honda?

·
Registered
912 Posts
i got 164 out of mine

·
Registered
725 Posts
You'll probably go faster in 5th. not knowing the redline on your bike, but I'm sure its much higher than 10500(thats my redline on the twin and about the same speed in 5th) and with yours being full fairing(more aerodynamic) should be able to beat the half naked falco.... 6th is a crusing gear, not a top speed gear. It's too high for the power output on most bikes that still have factory sprockets.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, I'll try and string it out in 5th, then drop her in 6th at peak RPM instead of trying a roll on in 6th. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was only about 60-65 degrees that day too... When it gets hotter at about 90 in the summer it might get a better run.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Internal combustion engines make most power in the cold. Most stock geared bikes will slow down after shifting to sixth from redline in fifth.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Yeah, with stock gearing, I believe that sixth gear is an overdrive gear. Your top speed would come in fifth gear. Now, if you were to change the gearing of the bike (down in the front and up in the back) this will change the final drive ratio and could make sixth gear the top speed gear. I could be wrong...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Most I've gotten is an idnicated 142mph, but I don't have any long flat stretches that I feel comfortable doing that on. The place I did it is a long downhill that transitions into uphill. The hill at the end is limiting my top speed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maci4life said:
i'm 225 no gear on and i hit 275km's in 6th.
No gear man? Holy shit, you would be flying hamburger coming off at that speed, or guardrail food... :bitchslap

Not much different wearing gear at that speed though, my corpse would stay together a little better, but the sudden stop at the end of the guardrail would get me just the same.

You hit that on the 401, 407, QEW??? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive hit 168 but ive also dropped a tooth on my front so innot sure if my mph is accurate until i can get the speedo re calibrated for the smaller sprocket up front

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've gotten 189 out of it going down hill, 186 is where the limiter comes it. The trick is to max it out in 5th, bump it to sixth, and back and forth until you can get 6th to hold on, and keep you accellerating. Keep in mind though, that I had about 10 miles of a 5-6% downhill grade to work with. It was about 60 degrees F, and about 2000 ft elev. with a stock bike except a yoshi exhaust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i can not believe what i am reading "The trick is to max it out in 5th, bump it to sixth" omfg

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did 285 km/h on the speedo of my 929 back when I had no aftermarket pipe and low mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
um k some strange advice in this thread but mine was radared on the front straight at Texas World Speedway during a CMRA practice at 178mph
this is on a 140hp Dynojet Dynoed 2001 Erion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
176mph on mine. Remember though, the speedo is not that accurate at those high speeds. I was bone stock when I did that run, back to back 176mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
The day I bought mine the guy threw me a Helmut and let me take it for a test ride..found a road and redline every gear thru 6th and peered down and saw 298 and immediately let off throttle..I kept the bike to this day..52.000 klms never a valve adjustment and still like new..use t6 diesel 5 /40 synthetics from shell..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts