Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the really crappy picture (taken with my cell phone), so you may not be able to tell what it is anyway, but figured I'd ask. I saw this one parked a few days ago and had to stop to take a pic. Looks like something from WWII. Anyone have any idea what it is?? I've seen it twice lately (didn't have my cell with me the first time) so if I see it again, I'll take some better pics up close.

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe a bmw or a ural?

·
Registered
85 Posts
im pretty sure it's a wwII bike so it's a harley or an indian . Those were the main 2 competing for goverment contracts at the time. If its german or italian war bike its a bmw or a duc. like i said i can make a solid staement on it cause i can't see to much in the pic. hell it could be a rough superior.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
The engine looks more like a British vertical single than American so i think Triumph or BSA.

·
Registered
525 Posts
kman is right....it's a vertical single. Also, the knee pads on the tank are a feature found on a lot of British bikes. I'm guessing a BSA or Triumph. It's the paint that makes it look like WWII bike. All the chrome painted over...I don't think it's old enough tho. Most likely '60's vintage.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
4real said:
looks like horziontal oppesed ( sp) pistons bmw my guess
Are you looking at the picture with the cylinder sticking straight up with the exhaust pipe coming out the front?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I see it again soon, I'll take some close up pics, as well as looking for some company logos or anything to see what it is. I love running into different bikes like this though. Always interesting to see what else is out there.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Need to see it closer. Definately a 350 or 500cc OHV single of Brit design. Not Triumph for it is not a vertical twin as Triumph were from '38 & on. Probably a BSA, still it could be a Norton, not a Royal Enfield, Velocette, Panther or such. Primary chain case is pressed steel & some of the bikes like Triumph & RE had one piece alloy ones.

The bike standing on its rear stand points to a spring loaded rear stand so many were using including AJS & Matchless. You see there were more then 2 or 3 Brit m/c makers & no it is not a Panther.

The bun pad behind the saddle was installed by a prior owner & the rack behind that is not stock. Looking more & more like a BSA.

Of interest the support bar to the rear part of the front mudguard could ALSO be brought down as a front stand when working on the f/end of the bike. Battery holder & rear chain guard are typically Brit.

I was in the m/c business of selling & servicing Brit irons in '47 though also owned my own Brit iron or two in '46. So bike dates back to my time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts