Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience with these:

http://www.nexlsports.com/index.php/cmd/product_info/cPath/21/products_id/50

Right now I have worked out a pretty nice quick stop and store system for my helmet with the Nelson Rigg tail roll pack and a cable lock. I can almost get my riding jacket in there too but my current helmet is a just a little too big and I wouldn't mind something lighter anyway which got me to looking around for smaller profile helmets (I currently have a Fulmer with the flip up chin bar).

These look way light and not too bad of a price but I wonder if anyone can comment on the helmet from 1st or 2nd hand experiece?

I was also wonder what they mean by the "below 300G limit" part of this quote?

"This means we make the smallest, lightest helmet that meets DOT certification and stays well below the 300G limit of ASTM, SNELL and all other helmet standards."


Thanks!

Dan
 

·
learning to ride
Joined
·
122 Posts
danelen said:
I was also wonder what they mean by the "below 300G limit" part of this quote?
300Gs is the maximum amount of force that the standard allows to be transferred to your head from the impact, at various points on the helmet.

Interesting thread here (cross forum post):
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/riding-gear-luggage/36431-motorcyclist-helmet-article.html

Quote worth noting from page 2 of the thread:

"Overall G's to your head connot exceed 300G. Todays helmets are bit a bit different than years ago, like stated earlier. Your head can survive a 200G impact with little no brain damage...The end result they shoot for is 200G or under"

Meaning that (as a lot of folks will tell you) there's a big difference between PASSING the standard and EXCEEDING the standard.

Just happened to be researching this stuff to replace the Shoei I cracked on Friday...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
middleNameIsEarl said:
300Gs is the maximum amount of force that the standard allows to be transferred to your head from the impact, at various points on the helmet.

Interesting thread here (cross forum post):
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/riding-gear-luggage/36431-motorcyclist-helmet-article.html

Quote worth noting from page 2 of the thread:

"Overall G's to your head connot exceed 300G. Todays helmets are bit a bit different than years ago, like stated earlier. Your head can survive a 200G impact with little no brain damage...The end result they shoot for is 200G or under"

Meaning that (as a lot of folks will tell you) there's a big difference between PASSING the standard and EXCEEDING the standard.

Just happened to be researching this stuff to replace the Shoei I cracked on Friday...
Thanks! That makes me wonder how much under the 300gs they are then.
 

·
learning to ride
Joined
·
122 Posts
danelen said:
Thanks! That makes me wonder how much under the 300gs they are then.
Test data should be published at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the data for the NXT helmet after a quick search. I can say that the results for the Shoei I cracked were well under 200Gs at all points, while the Scorpion EXO-700 I replaced it with exceeded 200Gs in a few spots, and actually failed for one test batch. That's making me think I'm going to return the Scorpion and buy another Shoei.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top