Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new place to live, I'm looking for an economically depressed area within an hour or so of a semi large town. Where I could pick up a half way decent house for around $50,000. Does this exist in Oregon?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in Eugene and as far as housing cost it is so out of control. Minimum cost in Eugene and Springfield is probably around 110 grand. Any thing decent is 160 and above and it keeps rising fast. Out of town is rising fast too. All small towns within 45 minutes are almost same price. Oakridge is a small sleepy old mill town 50 minutes east and prices I think are 80 plus.
As far as riding goes this place is great. Good stuff to be had with motorbikes, bicycles, snowsports, long list of good stuff.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You might try the small towns outside Pendleton.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You want cheap in Oregon? How about Roseburg?
I spend about 8 weeks working there last summer.
Some areas of town are typical half-dead, white trash, run-down logging town. Some areas are actually quite nice, especially by the river.
I'm sure you could find something cheap there. Finding a job would be a different story.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't think you will find anything fit for a human to live in for less than $100K

·
Street Warrior
143 Posts
Get out of Ak, I did and love it. I lived in Fairbanks, Craig, Ketchikan, Soldotna, and then Kodiak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fuzz Bomb said:
You might try the small towns outside Pendleton.
I grew up there and I'ld call it the land of very little Opportunity but housing and expenses are cheap relative to most other places in Oregon. I don't know what is being called a "decent sized town" but I wouldn't say Pendleton is one nor clse to one. But that's just me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A 50k house really doesnt Exist...

I have seen 1 house for around that in my town... It was 75k and need a new roof (leaking) and new windows.. It was not habitable in that condition... Its also right next door to a paper mill... Not Exactly the best at all...

Average house around in the portland area (heart of the City) would run you about 150k at a minimum You might be lucky and find one for 100k but those are Few and Far between... Expect to pay about 150k atleast if not more... New houses run about 220k - 400k

HTH<
James

·
Registered
27 Posts
not to mention we have the largest unemployment rate of ANY state. It's real fun to try and find a house for cheap... but without a job the budget drops to non-existant. If you're in Alaska, find a good job. I heard you can retire earlier there, gather up some money and then try and find a house.. my next-door neighbor in Junction city is selling their 1 story, 4bed 2 bath for over 400,000!!!!.. and it's not all that great. Oregon housing is going up.. good if you have one.. bad if you're looking. On the other hand like the other people said, the riding is awesome around here. good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dont forget most of the Schools are in the Toilets with funding around here... Seems like a few times a year they are talking about closing down more schools or taxing us more to give to the schools... Seems our Governor doesnt know whats important.. cutting school sports, closing schools.. hell they arent important either... Lets spend it on pens and parties and to investigate police chiefs

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forget about it in the portland area, my sisters 2 bed condo in vancouver went from $130-150 a year and a half ago to like $190 to 210 now! Its nuts all over.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I got my house in Portland fifteen years ago. If I hadn't bought then, I'd still be renting. Too many Californians coming up. Wana talk crazy prices? I'm in a urb of LA right now, and a crummy little cottage with a nothing yard on my busy street just went for 650K. Sick. No wonder they want to move North.

I can't wait to get home to Portland!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts