Sport Bikes banner

anyone here work out?

958 views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
If you do... list what you do! and some tips for a noob lol. :headbang

I went to the gym for almost a year about 2 times a week for ~1.5-2 hours each. I started out struggling to bench the bar about January and now I can sort of do 115lb (i weigh 135). It seems I move up freakin slow.... the weights stayed at 105-115 for like 2 months. I do bicep curls, sit-ups, and some back exercises as well as minor shoulder and forearm exercises.

Does anyone have any tips as to sort of just.... get b***** without getting fat? Any workout tips or food or anything that would help.

:cool:

#2 ·
Workout right before going to sleep. Before you lie down eat a cup of yogurt and drink a tall glass of milk. Never work out the same muscles more than twice a week.

#4 ·
Oh, and find a set of weights for any given exercise that will only allow you to do 6-10 reps.

#5 ·
kv2 said:
wtf serious? ok I read somewhere that you shouldn't workout less than like 2 hours before sleeping. :dunno
Well I mean if you are noticeably tired, don't. Otherwise, the milk you drink will stimulate muscle growth while you're asleep. The yogurt however will instantly begin muscle repair after working out. So that way you get the best of both worlds: long term and short term muscle regeneration.

#8 ·
I was on a big health kick a while ago, and seeing its summer now I find it hard for me to stop at the gym. Things I found out work for me on building muscle and gaining strenth. Work out when ever you want to. I found that it doesnt matter what time you work out. I found it best for me to work out in the morning before I eat or after work before you have dinner. Also with weights it is best to start of small. More reps with less weights are better because it allows the blood to flow to your muscles. It helps on bulking up. I normally did bench press of 100lb with sets of 17, 15, 12, 10. Even though I I am only working with small weights I can still put up 190 and I only weigh 184. Some good advise for work outs can be found at www.menshealth.com

#9 ·
work out more than 2 times a week. At least every other day. I work out Monday through Saturday (Sunday=relaxing). So, I broke down all the muscles in 3 groups, and by working out 6 times a week (for at least 45 min - 1 hour), I work every group twice.

An hour a day, on my way home from work is not very hard and doesn't strain your daily schedule

#10 ·
As with everything, people all take different approaches. With training most peoples approaches totally suck and are way off the wall. Get on bodybuilding.com or musclemagazine.com and read up and search. You're way better doing that and getting good info then fishing for scattered info from people that dabble with weights.

#11 ·
MattLikesBikes said:
When I bench I build up really quick, and end up hurting myself and stopping for a while.

I'm gonna start again soon.. Gonna start doing 10 reps of 170lbs 10 times a day, and moving up 5 pounds every 5 days untill I can't go up anymore.
Complete waste of time.

#12 ·
Tuffguy #2 said:
As with everything, people all take different approaches. With training most peoples approaches totally suck and are way off the wall. Get on bodybuilding.com or musclemagazine.com and read up and search. You're way better doing that and getting good info then fishing for scattered info from people that dabble with weights.
Listen to this guy.

#13 ·
I'm a naturally tall lean guy so, I lift for power and to gain lean muscle fast. This sounds like what you want to do. I've been lifting around 4 years and 2 of them more serious. I read a lot about weight lifting and I've found some good tips for making your workouts much more effective.

1. LIFT HEAVY. You want to warm up good before a workout to decrease the risk of injuries but, durring your routine lift weight that you have a hard time doing about 6-8 reps with. A partner is great for this because you will want a spot. If you don't have one, use dumbells.

2. EAT. Within 30 min of your workout you should eat a large amount of protein and carbs. After a workout your body has a temporary increase in insulin production that will make this the most important time of the day to feed your muscles. Diet is a huge part of making your workouts effective. You can lift all you want but if your body doesn't have protien and carbs you will not gain any muscle. Try and eat at least 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. ie 115lbs minimum 115g of protein daily. Eating tuna (chunk light is some nasty shit) or buying protein shakes is a great way to do this. 1 can bumblebee solid white albacore has 37.5g protien.

I'm not sure what your routine is but I normaly work out 5 times a week for 45-60min. This lets me push my muscles hard and then gives them a whole week to rest. I used to be exactly like you though. I lifted and never got much stronger for a long time but the I started reading and changing my schedule. Now I get MUCH b***** gains in a lot shorter time. Mainly because of my diet and routine. If you are curious here is my routine.

Mon.- Chest Tues.- Back Weds.- Shoulders Thurs.- Biceps Fri.- Triceps, Legs

Though its not quite as effective if you don't want to workout 5 times a week do this.

Day1- Chest, Biceps Day2-Back, Triceps Day3- Shoulders, Legs

In the last 2 years I went from 157 lbs to 183 lbs and dropped body fat %. This may not sound like too much but I've had to take a lot of time off in those 2 years. Broke my arm 3 months. Crushed my scull another month. Lots trasportation and moved 5 months. To keep fat off I run 3 times a week and bycicle. Hope you get somethign out of this.

#18 ·
Weight lifting is the best way to build muscle. Thats a given. You have to train for cardio though. A lot of people go to the gym and push weights but do nothing for cardio. Dont let that happen to you. Cross train. Dont train any one muscle group twice in a row etc. All good advice.

As for me I did the weights/bodybuilding thing. Im 5'11" I have what you would call a big bone structure. I have rally wide shoulders, and such. At my heaviest I was 255 pounds. I was a big mo fo BUT I was SLOW and I couldnt even play full court basketball. All that muscle looked nice but it was just something for my poor heart to lug around. See I didnt cross train.

I then got into boxing. I stopped lifting heavy weights at my trainers direction. I lost a lot of weight and bulky muscle. I got down to 200 pounds. I wasnt as strong as I was before BUT I was still plenty strong. I was fast too. Very fast. Boxing and its training builds lean long muscle. It seems that heavy weights build short bulky muscles. Im not an expert just stating my experiance.

Six months of boxing put me in the best shape of my life. Its all really cardio/endruance. It a great way to get into shape. The running, skipping rope, heavy bag, speed bag, push ups, pull ups etc..
Give it a try. To me pushing weights in the gym is so fucking boring. Thats just me to each his own.

I thought I would post this. It might help you out. Good luck and stick with it. Thats the thing, people dont stick with it. You get out what you put in as they say.
Hope this helps.

#19 ·
There are many sites that you could join that will give you more accurate info, then some of the things being stated here. I would go in to the mechanics of everything, since I used to bodybuild, but I would have to get to know you and your habits to give you an accurate answer.

Here are a few sites that you could check out to get some more info... .

http://www.bodybuilding.com/
www.anabolex.com
http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/

The info at these sites are more accurate than what you will receive here, and make sure that no matter what you do, STEER CLEAR OF ROIDS. I have seen too many guys using the crap.

#21 ·
I don't dedicate lots of time to lifting. Maybe 1.5-2 hours a week. I do spend a good amount of time riding my mountain bike. I rode 16 miles today in an hour an 7 minutes. My main goal is weight loss. I found that regardless of how much I lifted or did cardio, that eating at the chinese buffet 3x a week wasn't helping. I switched to a relativly strict keto diet and dropped 50lbs in about 4 months.

#22 ·
Do Legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap are most people on this site ever clueless about exercise.

Listen to JoeyNumbers. He's got some decent advice there.

I trained powerlifting since I was 15. I started out being a self taught punk in highschool. I did arms/chest/shoulders with as much weight as I could like all the other dumbasses. I got big and strong through my chest and thats about it. Cardio sucked, legs sucked, etc.

Started to do research after getting creamed in wrestling by guys that didn't lift but were still super strong.

In grade twelve I met a couple of competative powerlifters and got some really good advice. Year later I got to know a big bodybuilder. More good advice from him.

Neways the point.

The MOST important thing for weight training is proper technique on all lifts. The weight doesn't matter, the reps don't matter. Just have really good technique and u will develop your muscles properly. this is kinda what JoeyNumbers was talking about with the short thick muscles. Bad technique and they develop wrong. If you want super human strength use BIG weights for few reps with PERFECT technique. If you want the bodybuilder look, use moderate weights for lots of reps with PERFECT technique. Want to be an athlete? Mix high rep light weight endurance stuff with heavy weight low rep explosive lifting to develop power. Again all with PERFECT technique.

The above is all very general and not really useful to a lifting newbie.

So, at 135 and no weight training experience behind you I suggest the following.

1 - DO LEGS. Squats and Deadlifts. Start off with next to no weight and practice going DEEP on the squats. You'll have to find some information on squats and deadlifts on the internet. Guys who can give advice on squat technique -->

Fred Hatfield aka Dr. Squat.
Ed Coan.

That's it, no one else. Just type Dr. Squat into Google.ca and you'll get some info to start with.

Squats and Deadlifts will help develop your core strength and build mass. Your legs, back, ass, shoulders, abs, forearms, hands, calves will all grow as you do more and more squats and deadlifts. This will give you the core you need to build the body you want. From there, you can keep getting b***** and stronger with powerlifting type stuff or you can start to sculpt those bulky muscles into nice looking ones, or you can then convert to something like boxing/wrestling/whatever and turn that core into and athletic machine.

Aside from squats and deadlifts, do bench presses and barbell rows. Try to do them in equal amounts. Not equal weights as pushing off a bench is a hell of a lot easier than rowing a barbell to your chest. Just try to spend the same amount of time/energy growing both so you don't become lopsided.

For anything like wrestling/boxing/jiu jitsu, your pulling muscles are more useful than your pushing muscles. Also, those pulls will grow your biceps on and the benches will grow your triceps.

Spend another day a week focusing on those and you'll fill out good.

Another big key to getting big and strong is to EAT and REST lots. You have to eat and eat and eat and eat or you won't grow. So long as you are lifting hard, you won't get fat. You won't be lean but you won't be fat. And you only grow while sleeping so sleep lots after lifting and eating.

Hmm, I could go on and on. I've made lifting a hobby of mine for like 8 years and have done a ton of research and experimentation. I started off a n00b but I have learned through trial and error and reasearch.

so, LEGS, FOOD, SLEEP and you'll be 200lbs. and strong in 3 years.

Oh yeah, and skip the supplements. Creatine, protein powder, steroids, all of it. Not necessary unless you are trying to be a competative lifter, bodybuilder, athlete. They need the competative edge. For everyone else, that shit is just a big money waster. It works but you don't need it.

Good luck dude.

#23 ·
I can squat some crazy weight. I think I put 900lbs on the leg sled once too. As of lately though, I've dropped the legs from my routine since I spend so much time on the bike. If I did legs correctly like I was, I'd do them Tuesday and not be in any condition to do cardio for the rest of the week. I weigh 250 now, down from 315 late last year. My legs are pleanty strong considering the cardio I do..... massive hill climbs on my mountain bike. That's my leg workout these days..... I ride up a big hill, turn around and go back down just so I can come back up it. I've put 420 miles on my MTB this season already.

#24 ·
There are tons of websites that can help you out!! If you would want to know them PM me and i'll tell you. I could tell you but I would type about 3 pages worth of stuff.

#25 ·
I think Warren covered most of what there was to say. My major addition is to avoid using machines. Unless you're doing isolation techniques that should come AFTER a proper workout, machines are useless. How much you can do on leg press is irrelavant--there are no stabilizing muscles being used. You need stabilizers for EVERYTHING you do, so working out your muscles WITHOUT growing your stabilizers makes for a bunch of bulky, useless muscle. Go for freeweights. Squats....More squats.....Then deadlifts....Then more squats....Seriously, though, you should be doing either deadlift or squats once a week, pyramiding up until you get to 2-3 reps at your heaviest weight. If you want to be more savage, then drop weight after that and rep out. In all your exercises, try to keep in mind what real usage there is. Combine muscles and use their full muscle groups (i.e. squats and bench) and then finish off whatever they have left with isolations (i.e. overheads, skullcrushers, dips) Work yourself until you're dead tired and ready to go home. Make sure you stretch, and in all exercises aim for PERFECT technique and FULL RANGE OF MOTION! All those guys walking around with apples for biceps get them from DOING IT WRONG! Long, lean, useful muscles come from full range of motion, good technique, and a hell of a lot of hard work.......Oh...And protein. <laugh>

#26 ·
Some real good advice and some not so good advice here....but here's some stuff from an old school lifter:
Eat right.. look in the magazines and on line to find out what is right for you and the type of muscle you want to build.
Always warm up and if it is strength and size your looking for stay with the free weights and lift heavy.
NEVER lift heavy without a spot and if you don't have a workout partner ...get one , the gains are more when you got your buddy pushing you to go for that last couple of reps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.