Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you do... list what you do! and some tips for a noob lol. :headbang

I went to the gym for almost a year about 2 times a week for ~1.5-2 hours each. I started out struggling to bench the bar about January and now I can sort of do 115lb (i weigh 135). It seems I move up freakin slow.... the weights stayed at 105-115 for like 2 months. I do bicep curls, sit-ups, and some back exercises as well as minor shoulder and forearm exercises.

Does anyone have any tips as to sort of just.... get b***** without getting fat? Any workout tips or food or anything that would help.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Workout right before going to sleep. Before you lie down eat a cup of yogurt and drink a tall glass of milk. Never work out the same muscles more than twice a week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
King Cobra said:
Workout right before going to sleep.
wtf serious? ok I read somewhere that you shouldn't workout less than like 2 hours before sleeping. :dunno

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Oh, and find a set of weights for any given exercise that will only allow you to do 6-10 reps.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
kv2 said:
wtf serious? ok I read somewhere that you shouldn't workout less than like 2 hours before sleeping. :dunno
Well I mean if you are noticeably tired, don't. Otherwise, the milk you drink will stimulate muscle growth while you're asleep. The yogurt however will instantly begin muscle repair after working out. So that way you get the best of both worlds: long term and short term muscle regeneration.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I bench I build up really quick, and end up hurting myself and stopping for a while.

I'm gonna start again soon.. Gonna start doing 10 reps of 170lbs 10 times a day, and moving up 5 pounds every 5 days untill I can't go up anymore.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I used to work out at the gym several days a week for a good two years. I don't know how the hell I did it, it's so damned boring. Just a typical superficial teenager I suppose.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was on a big health kick a while ago, and seeing its summer now I find it hard for me to stop at the gym. Things I found out work for me on building muscle and gaining strenth. Work out when ever you want to. I found that it doesnt matter what time you work out. I found it best for me to work out in the morning before I eat or after work before you have dinner. Also with weights it is best to start of small. More reps with less weights are better because it allows the blood to flow to your muscles. It helps on bulking up. I normally did bench press of 100lb with sets of 17, 15, 12, 10. Even though I I am only working with small weights I can still put up 190 and I only weigh 184. Some good advise for work outs can be found at www.menshealth.com

·
Registered
584 Posts
work out more than 2 times a week. At least every other day. I work out Monday through Saturday (Sunday=relaxing). So, I broke down all the muscles in 3 groups, and by working out 6 times a week (for at least 45 min - 1 hour), I work every group twice.

An hour a day, on my way home from work is not very hard and doesn't strain your daily schedule

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
As with everything, people all take different approaches. With training most peoples approaches totally suck and are way off the wall. Get on bodybuilding.com or musclemagazine.com and read up and search. You're way better doing that and getting good info then fishing for scattered info from people that dabble with weights.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
MattLikesBikes said:
When I bench I build up really quick, and end up hurting myself and stopping for a while.

I'm gonna start again soon.. Gonna start doing 10 reps of 170lbs 10 times a day, and moving up 5 pounds every 5 days untill I can't go up anymore.
Complete waste of time.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Tuffguy #2 said:
As with everything, people all take different approaches. With training most peoples approaches totally suck and are way off the wall. Get on bodybuilding.com or musclemagazine.com and read up and search. You're way better doing that and getting good info then fishing for scattered info from people that dabble with weights.
Listen to this guy.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
I'm a naturally tall lean guy so, I lift for power and to gain lean muscle fast. This sounds like what you want to do. I've been lifting around 4 years and 2 of them more serious. I read a lot about weight lifting and I've found some good tips for making your workouts much more effective.

1. LIFT HEAVY. You want to warm up good before a workout to decrease the risk of injuries but, durring your routine lift weight that you have a hard time doing about 6-8 reps with. A partner is great for this because you will want a spot. If you don't have one, use dumbells.

2. EAT. Within 30 min of your workout you should eat a large amount of protein and carbs. After a workout your body has a temporary increase in insulin production that will make this the most important time of the day to feed your muscles. Diet is a huge part of making your workouts effective. You can lift all you want but if your body doesn't have protien and carbs you will not gain any muscle. Try and eat at least 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. ie 115lbs minimum 115g of protein daily. Eating tuna (chunk light is some nasty shit) or buying protein shakes is a great way to do this. 1 can bumblebee solid white albacore has 37.5g protien.

I'm not sure what your routine is but I normaly work out 5 times a week for 45-60min. This lets me push my muscles hard and then gives them a whole week to rest. I used to be exactly like you though. I lifted and never got much stronger for a long time but the I started reading and changing my schedule. Now I get MUCH b***** gains in a lot shorter time. Mainly because of my diet and routine. If you are curious here is my routine.

Mon.- Chest Tues.- Back Weds.- Shoulders Thurs.- Biceps Fri.- Triceps, Legs

Though its not quite as effective if you don't want to workout 5 times a week do this.

Day1- Chest, Biceps Day2-Back, Triceps Day3- Shoulders, Legs

In the last 2 years I went from 157 lbs to 183 lbs and dropped body fat %. This may not sound like too much but I've had to take a lot of time off in those 2 years. Broke my arm 3 months. Crushed my scull another month. Lots trasportation and moved 5 months. To keep fat off I run 3 times a week and bycicle. Hope you get somethign out of this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I lift. Been working on losing weight (fat) for about 3 years now and have been lifting as part of that. I've lost about 50lbs, and lost some strength too. I used to bench 250, now I struggle with 225.

·
Registered
912 Posts
cock push-ups twice a week

·
Registered
206 Posts
Weight lifting is the best way to build muscle. Thats a given. You have to train for cardio though. A lot of people go to the gym and push weights but do nothing for cardio. Dont let that happen to you. Cross train. Dont train any one muscle group twice in a row etc. All good advice.

As for me I did the weights/bodybuilding thing. Im 5'11" I have what you would call a big bone structure. I have rally wide shoulders, and such. At my heaviest I was 255 pounds. I was a big mo fo BUT I was SLOW and I couldnt even play full court basketball. All that muscle looked nice but it was just something for my poor heart to lug around. See I didnt cross train.

I then got into boxing. I stopped lifting heavy weights at my trainers direction. I lost a lot of weight and bulky muscle. I got down to 200 pounds. I wasnt as strong as I was before BUT I was still plenty strong. I was fast too. Very fast. Boxing and its training builds lean long muscle. It seems that heavy weights build short bulky muscles. Im not an expert just stating my experiance.

Six months of boxing put me in the best shape of my life. Its all really cardio/endruance. It a great way to get into shape. The running, skipping rope, heavy bag, speed bag, push ups, pull ups etc..
Give it a try. To me pushing weights in the gym is so fucking boring. Thats just me to each his own.

I thought I would post this. It might help you out. Good luck and stick with it. Thats the thing, people dont stick with it. You get out what you put in as they say.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are many sites that you could join that will give you more accurate info, then some of the things being stated here. I would go in to the mechanics of everything, since I used to bodybuild, but I would have to get to know you and your habits to give you an accurate answer.

Here are a few sites that you could check out to get some more info... .

http://www.bodybuilding.com/
www.anabolex.com
http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/

The info at these sites are more accurate than what you will receive here, and make sure that no matter what you do, STEER CLEAR OF ROIDS. I have seen too many guys using the crap.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
I USED to lift. But for me, I needed to allocate 50% of my effort on proper nutrition, 50% on the actual weight training.

If I ate poorly, my training did not show. My body type responds to my nutrition intake in rather severe measure. Yours may also.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts