·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:beer

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Be cool to know how they work, but I dont plan to make any...

I live in the south...my last words will NOT be...

"hey hold my beer and watch this!"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
lol......

Well the quick explanation on how they work is by chemical reaction. A good starting point is black powder, which burns rapidly unless you compress it. Once compressed, it burns slowly (relative to uncompressed) and creates enough force to propel a rocket into the air where a loose bag of black powder then explodes (because it is confined within a shell with no escape route for the gas), igniting different chemical formulas designed to produce a given colored flame.

The colors you use and the design/shape of the explosion is highly customizable. You can for instance, create a grouping of palm trees in the air. Or a smiley face. You can have the colors change in mid flight, etc.

I was just hoping to find another enthusiast here (who also shares an interest in motorcycles) that I might discuss it with in greater detail...

·
WTF guy
878 Posts
Here is a quick guide on what to burn to get what colors and effects site

Then go here and follow the site!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
lol ya i think posting how to make home made explosive is a really bad ideal especially for those like me who love to blow shit up i know you mean well but its really hard to ride a bike missing hands and fingers and you know it would happen but thats just my oppion

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I work with explosives but nothing in the field your talking about. I use it for down hole exploration of oil and gas wells and final production work.
but i have allways facnation how the was able to get the affects of the palm and smily face in the pyro business.

the picture is a blast from a well perforating gun shot on top of the ground

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
a 50 gallon garbage bag, some common welding gass and oxygen is all you need to level your house... :eek: we used to set them off at the motorcycle park when we would camp up there.... those were so dam loud it even scared the army giys... its a live firing range they pratice on occasionly. They never heard anything like we set off :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work with explosives but nothing in the field your talking about. I use it for down hole exploration of oil and gas wells and final production work.
Sounds like you probably work with high explosives or "secondary". Is that accurate? Interesting. I'm curious how the explosion doesnt catch the oil on fire when you find it? :)

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
pir0teknik said:
Sounds like you probably work with high explosives or "secondary". Is that accurate? Interesting. I'm curious how the explosion doesnt catch the oil on fire when you find it? :)
your correct I use a H.E. shape charge that is moded with a copper caseing cone that as it expoldes "melts" the well pipe like a torch and shoves through the earth fractures like a bullet. it penatrates 4" of steel and 13" inches of rock in less than a second. we set it off with prima cord and a eletric blasting cap. also we use stuff called info which is basiclly fertlizer and deisel fuel in a powder form which is set of with a timer and 4 sticks of dynomite. most of the wells are 2500' to 10,000 foot deep and within 50' of the serface the oxgen is depleated so the natural gas and oil dosent ignite. but I have done shots with in the 50' range to release co2 and it does creat a nice fire ball.
heres a intresting tidbit. the co2 found in soft drinks comes from natural co2 wells. that is purfied at a refinery. also of course theres man made co2 too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fun stuff. :phatyo

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
i like to blow things up too. I have made home made fireworks and such

1 - 12 of 12 Posts