Sport Bikes banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Ya know it doesn't make the general public respect cops more when we hear that there is a double standard for who gets a ticket, and cops get a pass. Just sayin
I am surprised you didn't know about this. I wouldn't call it a double standard though. I have had my fair share of tickets and a good bit of warnings. Do I get more warnings than non LEO? I guess I probably do but then I was able to get warnings before going into my field of work. You would be amazed at how far respect and a good attitude will get ya. Besides it isn't like you get pulled over and the first thing you say is "Hey im Officer ***" or whatever to get out of a ticket..... I never try to use being a LEO as a way to get out of a ticket (not obviously anyway). I do usually have to start the conversation with "Officer I wanted to let you know that I am armed and covered under LEOSA... here is my credentials" but that is only for my safety and the safety of the officer. ;)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Really, that's the first you're hearing of this? Here's another shocker for you, the cashier at Best Buy gets a discount.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Yep. And I let cops go without tickets. I also let numerous doctors, nurses, const workers, cabbies, business people, electricians and too many to name here go without tickets also. Go figure. It was called officer discretion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why should my property be stolen for going, say, 120 mph?

People do that legally in Germany everyday, so don't tell me it's so dangerous

Precrime? For what *might* have happened??
I responded to a hypothetical question about how the law could stop a behavior with a hypothetical answer.

The reason you would lose your vehicle is because you used it to blatantly and intentionally break the law.

What Germany does is irrelevant but the idea that there is no speed limit is a myth. There are many limits that change at certain hours and zones for pollution and noise as well as an advisory limit on all of them that while rarely enforced, is 81mph. The average speed traveled on them is 140kph/86mph, nowhere near 120mph.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Of course I knew about cops giving other cops more leeway than civilians. My comment was more along the lines of philb's post about how the general public has lost respect for law enforcement because they rarely see them being of use and are generally being hassled for something minor. When I get a ticket for riding a little over the limit and an off duty cop does the same and gets nothing I lose respect for the law. When I get rear ended and my boat and trailer are scattered across 2 lanes of the busiest road in town and the police dept isn't even willing to send someone to make a report yet they have the man power to set up a 4 unit speed trap on that same road a mile down I lose respect for law enforcement. Start visibly being of service to the community instead of extorting us for funds and you'll probably see fewer FTP posts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Of course I knew about cops giving other cops more leeway than civilians. My comment was more along the lines of philb's post about how the general public has lost respect for law enforcement because they rarely see them being of use and are generally being hassled for something minor. When I get a ticket for riding a little over the limit and an off duty cop does the same and gets nothing I lose respect for the law. When I get rear ended and my boat and trailer are scattered across 2 lanes of the busiest road in town and the police dept isn't even willing to send someone to make a report yet they have the man power to set up a 4 unit speed trap on that same road a mile down I lose respect for law enforcement. Start visibly being of service to the community instead of extorting us for funds and you'll probably see fewer FTP posts.
While I do agree somewhat, I also know that if they became more lax on traffic enforcement there would be a statistical increase in deaths. Its all just a matter of where you want to draw the line in the sand on the issue of deaths vs annoyance. Wherever that line is drawn, nearly everyone is going to be on one side or the other, but either way... the primary function of the road is transportation... but I do wish they would rabidly pursue violations OTHER than speed.
Would anyone here be opposed to traffic cams that catch people texting on their cell phones, swerving around while drunk, making dangerous illegal maneuvers, etc... ? I know I wouldn't I see some STUPID crap every day thats far more dangerous than someone going 15mph over down the interstate.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Oh really. Not going to do the research for you but I know several large counties in VA have done surveys over the years, I think about once every 5 years. They use one of the states public universities I believe. I know the agency I retired from steadily did very well in this survey among the residents. I believe something like 80 plus percent were satisfied or very satisfied with the PD overall. Also, do you have any clue how many officers there are for every 1000 people? It's likely you don't. You might be shocked at the actual numbers. If you are having many contacts with a local PD you might want to reexamine your ways. My wife, 52, has been stopped once since 1976 when she started driving and she got a ticket for speeding. She was my wife and it did no good.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Honestly, I don't really care what your opinion is on the matter at this point. I've been shot at doing this job, I've seen one of my friends get shot, another is blind with severe brain damage, and I saw another coworker get shot in the head and killed. I made over 250 good arrests in my first 2 years on the job yet I still get treated like shit by the public, I get called names, and have people wish death upon me and my coworkers in the comment sections of news articles about arrests we made. Now I'm over 5 years in and It's pretty obvious that no matter what, a lot of people are going to hate you and say fuck the police. So I'm not going to go out of my way and screw over the folks who do this job with me and know what it's like to make you and "the public" happy.

Most people out there are happy with their local Police if they don't get pulled over and they don't have to see any crackheads near their homes. Beyond that they really don't give a shit about what we do. Oh and by the way, 90% of the time when you see cops running speed traps and trying to write a ton of tickets, it's not because they like it and it's fun, but because that's what their local government has told them to do.

Reactions: Dem0nDuck
121 - 128 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.