Sport Bikes banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes, I think the "County Mounties" do both, but in my area, they are never on the interstate, sticking to the state highways and such instead. I rarely see them even when I'm on state highways.

- John
I'm not denying I was in the wrong, I blatantly was in the eyes of the law. I appreciate what the police force does and I respect that the officer was simply doing his job. I just think there are b***** problems to attend to than someone speeding down an empty highway at 12:30 am on a Thursday night/Friday morning. In traffic I hardly ever go over 5 over. Maybe 10 over if it keeps traffic moving but thats rare. I'm not going to put innocent people at risk for my stupidity. But when the road is empty, I like to have a little fun.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
In fairness to the highway patrol, they aren't responsible for in-town crimes like burglary, or rape, or pretty much any real crime. They are all about highway safety, and so far as I know most fatalities result from crashes on the highway.
I wasn't just talking about the Highway Patrol. I live in what is essentially a large suburb of San Diego with it's own Police department. Now even though this city really has no rural backroads, and the one freeway that runs through is not in their jurisdiction (that's CHP's job) They recently bought several Concourse 14P's and regularly sit in driveways around town with radar guns and radios to their buddies up the street with the patrol car writing tickets.

What really pisses me off about this is that my city DOES have a real gang and crime problem. These cops DO have something better to do, but instead they are writing tickets at 8:30 am when I'm on my way to work.

Oh, did I mention the City is basically bankrupt, yet they just finished building a HUGE new police headquarters and bought a bunch of new vehicles, including those completely unnecessary motorcycles.

·
Cage intolerant
446 Posts
Got what he deserved?

At what speed is the death penalty applied as a punishment in your eyes?
When it becomes a clear and present danger to others.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The problem is that the police are too interested in generating revenue, rather than stopping crime. At $300+ a pop speeding tickets in CA are a LOT more profitable than say, busting a burglar, stopping a rapist, or stopping pretty much any real crime. A lot easier too. I'd be willing to bet most departments spend a lot more man hours sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun than they do actually investigating a crime with a victim.
Well it's too easy to paint with a broad brush. I can merely speak on behalf of the agencies I've seen firsthand, both of which are some of the largest in CA, LASD and LAPD.

Every single station had dedicated black and white cars which were basically broken down into 2 types, crimes and traffic. Crimes out numbered the traffic 2 to 1 quite easily. Traffic cars were fitted with specific radar equipment, whereas the crime units did not. They had individual service tickets more or less that came across to their cars and got assigned to. So a fender bender got routed to traffic, and a burglary was crimes. In the downtime a crime car would patrol the same as a traffic unit. We would cruise around and crimes would go to known drug areas or spots for prostitution, and traffic would put on a show of force in neighborhoods that had sent in numerous complaints about people speeding in their neighborhood, or drive near the bars at nights and try to dissuade drunk driving.

The traffic units I personally rode with disliked handing out your basic 10-15mph over tickets as they felt it was boring and anyone could sit at a stop sign or a "No U turn here" sign and hand out tickets like they were candy. They would do 3-4 within an hour at the beginning of their shift to get it out of the way and to keep their boss off their back. They much preferred patrol, looking for drunk drivers, or sitting next to a school to slow vehicles down once they saw the unit. While yes to us 300 bucks a pop for a speeding ticket sounds like a lot (and it is) consider the actual cost involved. You have the court time of the officer, the judge, the bailiff, the courthouse itself, the actual overhead of that ticket and the cost to process it usually is a wash. So most officers don't bother writing petty traffic tickets because they saw it as a waste of taxpayers dollars and would rather be doing something useful with their time. Now I'm not speaking on behalf of all officers, merely the 4-5 I rode with that did traffic.

Now the crime units? Those guys are no joke, you'd be shocked at how many cases each officer gets assigned. It's absolutely mind boggling how thin they were stretched. They earn their money hands down. In terms of prevention police are there largely as a reactionary force and can't be there all the time everywhere to prevent every crime, but they do the best that they can do when the public wants to work with them to help out their community. Go to your local station sometime and ask to do a ride a long on a hot summer night, it's a great deal of entertainment and you can ask the officers all kinds of questions and most of them are honest about how they feel and what they do.

CHP is the exception though as they exist mainly to enforce traffic on the highways. They deal with like 90% traffic but they're funded by state money iirc, not county or city money.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Cops don't give out punishment, that is for a judge and jury.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Cops (in nc) just catch and ticket/arrest offenders. Judgement is set by a judge and can be made more severe depending on aggravating factors or prior record.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

No kidding.
Earlier in this thread, Markk9 would have cops exterminate speeding motorcyclists, 'because they deserved it'. Later in this thread, he'd have the judge and jury do it.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Please quote the post were I said there should be roadside execution by cops?
Sorry, you must've meant that after they scooped up what was left after intentionally deploying spikes to motorcyclists going over 90, or 25 over the speed limit, that they should then be sentenced to die by a jury of their peers in a court of law. My mistake.

Got what he deserved?

At what speed is the death penalty applied as a punishment in your eyes?
To which you answered -
Not really, it's a two part deal. First any thing over 90 on a public road, or 25 over if under 90.

Somebody asked the question, this is what I think.

Just as I think a 2nd DUI should be a death penalty.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
... They would do 3-4 within an hour at the beginning of their shift to get it out of the way and to keep their boss off their back. ...
This. This right here is the problem. Not about safety. Not even about enforcing the law. The boss says "go extort some people who aren't actually harming anyone every shift", and off they go, dutifully performing random injustices upon the people. And then wonder why those people have a low opinion of law enforcement.

PhilB

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK, what should the penalty be then. What we do now isn't working!
If we're talking about excessive speeding (over 120mph let's say..), you can effectively deter that by impounding the motorcycle or car at the time the ticket is issued. If the driver is convicted and has prior offenses, he/she forfeits the vehicle. That can mean anything from simply out of his bike/car to being saddled with paying off the loan for a bike or car they no longer have.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.