Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post on another forum and this guy just put this up today:

My older cousin was on his way home from black beach in MS this weekend. A little back story here, he's about 26 with 2 DUI's already, so he obviously makes horrible decisions. Last night was another. He was drinking at Black Beach, and was coming home on his motorcycle. Cops in Mize clocked him at 146 mph(dumbass). They proceeded to radio ahead to the police in Raleigh, who set out a spike strip. He hit the spike strip at almost 150 mph, wrecked of course, was thrown upwards of 200 feet. Critical condition at UMC but probably won't make it. Spike strips for a motorcycle though? Seems like a little overkill, but there probably wasn't a more viable option other than letting him go, right?
It has led to a 33 page debate over 1. whether or not it really happened and 2. would the police be justified.

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard about this. Also, sorry if it's already been posted somewhere, I don't lurk around here as often as I used to.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
A quick search shows nothing like this happening in Black Beach, Raleigh, or Mize.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A more viable option is roadblock. It is possible to not even know th police are after you when you're tucked in doing a buck forty.

You definitely know when you see 3 cruisers with their lights on blocking the highway.

If you run THAT then they can think about spike strips.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I cannot see the police being THAT stupid.
Exactly. Anyone with a brain knows putting spikes down for a bike WILL cause a crash. Cops can be pricks, and be stupid, but they are not going to risk killing someone over a speeding ticket. Hell most agencies in Southern CA wont even give chase at speeds over 100 or so because of the risk to the public. Many a lawsuit has been filed over traffic accidents resulting from police chases, and many departments have paid out the ass. If this were true, heads would be rolling.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
spike strips do not blow out tires. they are hollow and break off in the tire gradually letting the air out. now knowing how spike strips work they're not the reason he crashed.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
You dont see rapid deflation at 150mph as something that could cause a crash? You're high right? I've seen plenty of videos of car tires with a much larger volume of air deflating in a matter of seconds after hitting spike strips. A bike would deflate just as fast if not faster.

Blow out, no. Rapidly deflate, yes.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
You dont see rapid deflation at 150mph as something that could cause a crash? You're high right? I've seen plenty of videos of car tires with a much larger volume of air deflating in a matter of seconds after hitting spike strips. A bike would deflate just as fast if not faster.

Blow out, no. Rapidly deflate, yes.
they don't work that way. unless they've been modified to blow one out they gradually deflate

Federal Signal's Stinger Spike System - YouTube!

if he hit the strip and crashed it was because he was an inexperienced rider. oh and you know what....he got what he deserved? 150 on public roads.....just sayin.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Not really, it's a two part deal. First any thing over 90 on a public road, or 25 over if under 90.

Somebody asked the question, this is what I think.

Just as I think a 2nd DUI should be a death penalty.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We'd have a lot of dead citizens if that were the apex of death vs fine, because plenty of cagers present more harm to the public than me going 100mph.......that is what you're basing it on, right Mark.....potential harm to the public? I'd hate to think you actually meant to base it on the extent of disregard for the law.

With all these state authorized killings, emperor Mark, you'd soon have an uprising on your hands. I wonder how the public would judge your actions.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I really don't care how others judge me...

I'm all for capital punishment if you kill or cause major harm to a person while in control of vehicle and you are found to be distracted.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
But you didn't say they caused harm, just that they were speeding. You suggested that someone should be put to death for going 25 over the speed limit. There's a big difference between that and causing death or harm to someone while doing that speed.

Maybe you should go move to one of those countries that stones women to death for showing too much skin. Seems your idea of crime and punishment has more in common with them than the USA.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
But you didn't say they caused harm, just that they were speeding. You suggested that someone should be put to death for going 25 over the speed limit. There's a big difference between that and causing death or harm to someone while doing that speed.

Maybe you should go move to one of those countries that stones women to death for showing too much skin. Seems your idea of crime and punishment has more in common with them than the USA.
Yes, if you are caught, either going 25 over or above 90 on a public road, you should be up for the death penalty.

This country has lost it's way with crime and punishment, our legal system has become a joke.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.