Sport Bikes banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
598 Posts
This is common on all GSXRs its just how they are, jerky throttl, they have fixes for this is called throttle control and tighetn your chain!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Believe me it is a real problem. Mine fortunately hasnt done it much this year. Ive been starting it in neutral, and waiting for the fuel pump to cycle(and the dash display) before pushing the start button. If you do that..u should be fine. The only time its reared its ugly head is on a rare occasion when I have to stop-turn the bike off--and then start it again a few times. I think I got a handle on it now and the bike runs great!
PS--My set valve is unhooked(in the open position), I got a K&N filter and -1 cs sprocket.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I usually wait for the fuel pump to cycle before hitting the start button, but never really paid attention whether it would do this if I didn't wait, and not do it if I did. Have to check that out.

But turning it off and restarting a few minutes later (esp when stopping for gas) usually induces the issue if it wasn't already doing it. It's only stopped doing it after turning off the bike and then restarting it once.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Haha even the GSXR Cup series guys have the problem sometimes.

Superbike News Motorcycle Racing - General News

"When I try and get on the gas getting out of the slow turns, the throttle doesn’t seem to want to work smoothly and is a bit hesitant."

Yeah dude, trust me we can sympathize.
This has nothing to do, I repeat nothing to do with the 'real' problem some of the bikes have. The hesitation is negative character of all these bikes and can better be described as an outdated & crude throttle pick up compared to the likes of the newer RR's and ZX-6's.
A lot of riders think this the herky/jerky thing, but it's NOT. The real 'deal' is when you have a bike that intermittenly has a VERY on/off throttle not only at the very low revs, excessive engine vibration and a general lack of performance.

I am quite sure it is possible to smoothen the hesitation out somehow with different kind of fixes, but it will not solve anything for those with the serious issue....I have tried.

I have now put an Em Pro, full Akra and removed the STV's on my 07 750 race bike and in about a months time I'll be able to report if the issue has gone.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Quick update on this, I keep meaning to report. A few months ago, I started playing around with when it acts up. (Quick recap, when it happens, it always bucks as if I'm chopping and opening the throttle hard, or as if someone is turning the kill switch on and off, and there is a rhythm to it if I just hold the throttle steady and let it keep doing it.)

So, then I decided to pull the clutch in while holding the throttle there, and what happens is the tach needle starts bouncing back and forth between 0 and 5 or 6k (or wherever the high point was to start with), to the same rhythm as the bucking before I pulled the clutch in, and it will keep doing that as long I have the clutch in and the throttle open and steady.

I've been able to do this several times. It's fascinating to watch. The engine never dies, it just acts crazy like that.

I need to get someone to disconnect the power commander so I can ride it around without it for a while and see if it still does it or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the very pronounced jerky effect on my 07 gsxr 600. While trying to find the simplest solution, I removed my chain. There were a couple of areas where the chain was binding. It was binding so bad, that the chain at times would not follow the contour of the sprockets. Turns out that the chain was just stretched beyond specs and was binding on the bearings between the links. I changed the chain and the jerky effect was gone. This might explain the irregular events of occurance.

I have worked on honda civic race motors for a decade, and have learned that Japanese computers and engine controls are usually bullet proof. lets make sure we check our chains before handing over our money to these shops, whose business it is to sell us parts and services.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the very pronounced jerky effect on my 07 gsxr 600. While trying to find the simplest solution, I removed my chain. There were a couple of areas where the chain was binding. It was binding so bad, that the chain at times would not follow the contour of the sprockets. Turns out that the chain was just stretched beyond specs and was binding on the bearings between the links. I changed the chain and the jerky effect was gone. This might explain the irregular events of occurance.

I have worked on honda civic race motors for a decade, and have learned that Japanese computers and engine controls are usually bullet proof. lets make sure we check our chains before handing over our money to these shops, whose business it is to sell us parts and services.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Doesn't explain it happening with a new bike, with 500 miles on the odometer. It also doesn't explain the tach jumping wildly with the clutch pulled in and throttle held steady in one place.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It is because the TPS sensor is out of adjustment, I believe Suzuki even recognized this. It has to be adjusted to just where it changes to the upper setting on the display(in dealer mode) instead of the middle. Do that and the problem goes away..as it did on mine. Completely gone.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I've had that bike to the dealer several times and they don't know what to do, nor can they recreate the problem when they have it. I've just learned to live with it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've had that bike to the dealer several times and they don't know what to do, nor can they recreate the problem when they have it. I've just learned to live with it.
Did you try adjusting the TPS sensor like I described? I know there is a step by step thread somewhere with pics. I will have to find it, but its fairly easy. Suzuki's setting is wrong from the factory. If you put it on just where it engages the upper setting from the middle, it WILL go away. It then becomes even smoother than most other bikes! I believe it took me a total of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hmm...it made a night and day difference on mine. Do you have the exhaust butterfly connected yet?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Sorry, dead thread revival!

To answer the above post, I never disconnected it, so yes it's connected.

Update - I finally lost patience and called American Suzuki, who opened a ticket and told me to drop off the bike at a dealer and let them know when I do, and they would work with the dealer.

The first thing I did was find a new dealer to take it to, I'm done with the other one. Dropped it off today, and amazingly enough there was a tech there who knew exactly what I was talking about when I described the symptoms. Seems he worked on another bike that did the same thing, and it was caused by a faulty ECM. They have to talk to Suzuki on Monday, but hopefully they will all agree to give this a shot. I'd love to get this resolved and behind me.

Best of all, they said if it is the ECM, it would be covered under the emissions warranty (even though I have a 5 year extended warranty).

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Got some info today. Apparently Suzuki knows all about this issue, and it's a flaw in the ECM that there is no fix for. I am going in tomorrow to talk about it in more detail, but the gist is that if you start the bike in gear & take off right away, it gets stuck fast idle mode, and ends up cutting the fuel off and on repeatedly, which is why I see the tach jumping wildly with the clutch pulled in.

Furthermore, once you shift into 5th, it's supposed to clear up the problem, because it's programmed to increase the fuel to compensate for more air coming in, which sets the ECM back to the program it should be in.

I have never noticed that shifting into 5th changed anything, but I haven't really tried that either, so I will play around with that & see if I notice anything.

But bottom line, even Suzuki is saying I need to always start it in neutral & wait for it to cycle before taking off. I am just not clear on whether that wait time should be before or after starting the engine according to them. Will talk to Chris (McDonald) more about it tomorrow.

At least I know I am not crazy, and the need for the special start-up sequence isn't just in my head. :twofinger

21 - 39 of 39 Posts