3,067 Posts
I dont, but I have...

CCNA
MCP pro
MCP server
A+
Net+
CNA 5.0

I benifitted from all in knowledge,but that whole thing at says...Batchelors in Information Science...Cum Laude... that gets the job.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Looking at the possibility of getting that along with unix, cisco, and nortel

But as stated the college will get you the better job from what I have seen lately anywho.

·
Just puttin' along
562 Posts
Yeah seems like most jobs I see in the area they want a BS degree above certifications.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Right after I graduated High School I went to New Horizons (www.newhorizons.com) and was actually planning on getting my MCSE. BUT, as I was doing that I applied for an IT job and got very lucky in getting the job because I had no experience and no certs. So, I have been working here 2 years and still have not finished up the certs. It is alittle different when you already have the job, your not as worried about it. Hopefully I will get them soon, the company is going to pay for it.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I myself have MCP, A+, network + and CCNA. I'm thinking about going for the MCSE & server + cert. I will probably be going back to school once my wife is finished with the her undergraduate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
red_devil1469 said:
Yeah seems like most jobs I see in the area they want a BS degree above certifications.
like I said in my last post, I guess I got lucky. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have my MCSE, and to me, its just a piece of paper. In the real world, I have benefited much more from my Bachelors Degree and my real world computer experience.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
MCP, but I don't even mention it. Getting work in the IT world requires social networking. In fact I have talked to several people that have certs that take them off their resume because of all the hacks that are out there with them that used examsheets or something along those lines to pass the cert test. I personally work on Unix and Linux, and have 5 years of production support/administration and that is what gets me in the door. I don't have a bachlors degree nor any significant college education.

·
Just puttin' along
562 Posts
I went to new horizons also.I just need to take my tests.

·
Owned by marriage
1,190 Posts
With a BS and the MCSE you are going to be UNSTOPABLE!! Im in school now to get my AS in computer information technology and my school just stated some new prog. that I will take (if I dont gosome where else to get my BS) webster in ocala. I have my A+ and noone wants to even look at my resume up here unless it a copy of my MCSE or MCSA with it... IMO any Microsoft cert will help you make the big $$

·
Registered
180 Posts
True story -

I had my own computer business in Puerto Rico from 1985-1999.
Built custom computers, networks, Novell, etc.
Hurricane George hit the island in 1999 plus more and more companies on the internet selling dirt cheap computers.

I decided to move to Miami and look for an IT job.

I had BS in Computer Science, lots of experience but no certs.

The best I could get was about $40k - references did not count and lack of certs were the culprit too.

Now, 5 years later I have MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCT, CCNA, A+, Network+ and recently I got my CISSP.

Results - 6 figure salary on a Fortune 500 company writing my own ticket!

Certs have been extra good for me.

I hire lots of people and what I look for is a BS, certs and experience.

BS tells me you have formal education.
Certs tells me you have at least studied the basics of the product or system.
Experience tells me that you can actually do what your certs say.

These are my 2 cents...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thats cool. I'm getting my BS in MIS in a year. I have an internship in an IS department. I have none of those certifications, but plenty of people in my dept have things and i think just last week a manager was telling emptys to sign up for a training class they wanted. With that said i think certs help, but u need experience too.
So for me i will have a BS have at least some exp. Those should help me get in the door place if i don't stick with the comp i'm at now

·
Registered
968 Posts
MCSE, A+, Network+, CIW-Associate. No degree involving IT(did business school after high school). This is the strange part though. I was a Technical Trainer for several years. After that business closed I began teaching college classes. Definitely not the norm though. Going back to school to pursue degree. Funny thing is I've taught most of the tech related courses needed for the degree. So the college I used to teach for doesn't know how to approach a degree program for me.

As for certification vs. degree I think either helps. Combination is best with plenty of experience. I've seen people with degrees that didn't know anything. I've seen people with certs that didn't know squat. I feel that the people hiring (if not experienced IT doing the hiring) take the degree too much into consideration. Same for certification. They can both be severely over rated.

I also believe that if you intend to be in IT you should make a good focus of Business as part of your education. Management will take you more seriously if you can show ROI and increased profit earnings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As for MS certifications... don't make me laugh... the hardest one is the SQL Server... followed by Winblows 2K3. Didn't take any.. it's not a paper that tells me what I'm capable of.

I'm going Cisco/Comptia, next year. My company wants me to have them...

·
Registered
361 Posts
i have a few certs, and am currently a systems admin, no college degree. the most important thing is social networking, I got my current job because I knew the person who was doing the hiring, he knew what I was capable of and so far so good. a degree is important, and certs help, but experience and knowing the right people is what has always got the job done for me. granted, not having a degree has closed a few doors for me, but if I had the degree, I wouldn't have the 8 years of experience that I have in the industry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts