Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonderin whats out there. I've been using a laptop alarm for the past few weeks. Time to get a real one. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
I bought a Gorilla alarm and it was crap. It went off all the time, even in the garage.

I have Scorpio alarms on my bikes. THE BEST! The new version I just bought has a pager built in to the remote. Its worth the money. There are waaay too many features of this alarm to list.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
I drooled over the scorpion one! Just didnt have 400 bucks for it. I instead went out and bought one from ebay called the Cheetah alarm. It cost about 80 bucks shipped to your door. It has a tilt sensor(make sure you order that one specifically) and a shock alarm. Its is really easy to install(5 wires including the ground!) and is really loud. With this alarm the ign. is disabled and if someone steals your key and tries to start the bike armed, the alarm will go off. It has the ability to set the shock sensor touchy or not and i have never had it go off for no reason. I have had it since early april.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the cable on the lock is cut or tampered with it sets off an audible alarm. just have it around my rotor. very little actual protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Squid Killer said:
I bought a Gorilla alarm and it was crap. It went off all the time, even in the garage.

I have Scorpio alarms on my bikes. THE BEST! The new version I just bought has a pager built in to the remote. Its worth the money. There are waaay too many features of this alarm to list.
does it come with a factory style connector?..how difficult would you rate the install..i will be ordering one soon..hopefully..ohh where did you get it at..i think 379 was the best price i found
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the Scropio for 289. Don't have the url with me. Was lookin at it at work... i'll get it tomorrow.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
Cheetah took me about 1.5 hours. Make sure you have crimping pliers electrical tape and and 3 scotchlocks( to connect a wire to an existing wire without cutting it. and last but not least youll need a few small zip ties. I ran all 5 or 6 alarm wires inside the factory harness so that cannot be tampered with or seen for that matter. I like my alarm very much. If thats what you get, make sure you get the "tilt sensor" one. Thats so if someone gets on the bike with out setting off the shock sensor the tilt sensor will go off as soon as someone rocks the bike 2 degrees from whatever position the bike was armed in. Kinda hard to get it off the kickstand huh?
 

·
Midnight Rider
Joined
·
415 Posts
i also have been thinking of getting an alarm, i would check ridersinc.com theirs started at like 250 or something like that. thats the cheapest by far i have found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
The Scorpio alarm is just two wires to install. I have put so many in my bikes I dont bother to hook up the wiring for flashing the turn signals. It seems like a waste of time. You get several little small plastic boxes that you stick under the seat where you want them. Its easy. The only hard part is if you want to install the remote disable box. You have to find a certain wire from the bikes computer based on brand of bike you have. I havent done that yet on mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Colt .45ACP Model 1911 A1 :D
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
rennsport said:
Colt .45ACP Model 1911 A1 :D
Ill like to get that system installed!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Squid Killer said:
The Scorpio alarm is just two wires to install. I have put so many in my bikes I dont bother to hook up the wiring for flashing the turn signals. It seems like a waste of time. You get several little small plastic boxes that you stick under the seat where you want them. Its easy. The only hard part is if you want to install the remote disable box. You have to find a certain wire from the bikes computer based on brand of bike you have. I havent done that yet on mine.
is there a reason you didnt install the remote disable box?..ohh and have you tested the range of the remote..what about being inside buildings..does it tell you when you are out of range?..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
sparky8844 said:
is there a reason you didnt install the remote disable box?..ohh and have you tested the range of the remote..what about being inside buildings..does it tell you when you are out of range?..

I was going to ask a Yamaha mechanic about the right wire that comes from the computer before I tap in to it. The instructions are clear about it but i just want to be sure.

I havent tested the range of the remote but I can arm the bike from inside the house. The pager should have a range of two miles and it does tell you if you go out of range.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top