Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf's bike is pissing him off. Once the temp is above 200 degrees, it won't start. We either have to push start it, which SUCKS in 100 degree weather, or wait for it to cool down. Anyone heard of this before? The starter still works perfectly, it just won't fire up. We bought it off a buddy and it has a power commander. Would that have anything to do with it?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
most bikes have a temperature shut-off switch.........sounds like it's shutting off to early though........i've seen over 200 pretty often.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
need more description. you mean if it has been running awhile and the coolant temp is over 200 when you kill it, it wont restart?

maybe the Pow Com has been programmed with a coolant temp interlock?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it doesn't matter if it's been running for a long time. It restarts just fine as long as it's not to that point. Anytime he shuts it off when it's over 200 it just won't restart. That's an idea about the Pow Com. We'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Checked out PC's website (dynojet). Looks like the P.C. monitors coolant temperature and only modifies the fuel curve after the bike has reached full operating temp, so that it's not running too rich while warming up. Now what the full operating temp is I dont know, it could very well be 200F, but the actual value is probably programmable in the PC module.

Either way, such a strange occurence would point to an ECM glitch...and if it's an aftermarket ECM that raises a red flag. Ya'lls buddy may have screwed with the settings with it hooked up to his laptop and then he couldnt get it back to default. A decent EFI tuner could find out pretty quickly. Good luck!

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
RACER X said:
most bikes have a temperature shut-off switch.........sounds like it's shutting off to early though........i've seen over 200 pretty often.
hey racer x, my vfr temps get above 200 daily. only time it stays below is on the freeway. It not unusual for my bike to be at 230 f riding around on the street. Should i get it checked, or is that just a characteristic of the v 4

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks green! Told the old man and he's going to have it checked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts