Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much set on getting either a Husky 450smr or the 510smr. I'll consider the KTM 450 or 525 as well but I think I'm gonna get a better deal on a Husky. I'm going back to the dealer Saturday to go over the prices and what the additional costs will be by having them set it up to be street legal.

Anyway, I want to hear from sportbike riders what they think of these machines. I've already been told by the supermoto guys how they compare to sportbikes but obviously they are bias and I wanna hear the other side from you guys. I'll definately be doing some trackdays on it. Do people really get passed all day long by the 'tards at the track or is that kinda far fetched? Obviously, it comes down to the rider but I think you know what I mean.

My first bike was an xt600 so I have some experience with thumpers but I never pushed the limits of that bike because I was still learning and I had some big, nasty knobby tires carrying me around.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
they're fun man, light as shit. It'll be nice to be able to toss it around.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I own a 2004 Husky SM450R and the thing has loads of character to say the least. It's a damn quick bike for a 450 and screams in the really tight bends. It's also a great city bike too. Do the supermoto guys blow the speed out of proportion? Yes. But surprisingly not by a whole lot. For quite a while the supermoto was my bike of choice but I'm back to the sportbike now. I love them both, and the are very different animals for sure. Definately try them before you consider buying, but I think you will like them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd love to have one of those bikes, I bet they're a ton of fun. I don't have much to add, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently own an 03 ZX6rr and an 00 XR650R SM. Most of the time the ZX6 stays parked and I ride the XR supermoto. It is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. I have it geared at 15/42 (14/48 is stock) so it cruises at 65 all day. It is just fun to toss around on the street and will out perform the Kawi on tight tracks. Long trips are not real good, due to the hard narrow seat, but I've done 100 mile short trips without too much trouble. Basically I was burned out and bored with riding until I put together the XR...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I don't know what to do. I went to the dealer and he said they can't get it plated in my state (MA). He did say that I could get a P.O. box in VT and register it there but I'm gonna have to look into that further before buying anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts