Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about it. Just selling all my household crap, except a few things, and living on this for the next 2 years in the marina on base here in Key West.

Its a 1984 Ocean Yachts 55' Super Sport.

3 Staterooms (Bunk Beds in one, Single in another and queen in the "master")
3 Baths
Twin 8v92 Detroit Diesels (735Hp each)
New Teak Deck, carpet, appliances, redone interior.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Sounds kind of cool, until a hurricane blows through. I guess you could evacuate and stay at a hotel until it passes.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Considered that.. but knowing how hurricanes travel through/past/around Florida, and if one is going to affect Key West badly enough to have to leave, you'd have to go pretty far to escape it, and hope it doesn't just follow you out. :shrug

But then again, I'm not a boat person, so...

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
not lived on. but spent a week on one. just a 26' crownline. 2 bed 1 bath. it was fun but to actually live on one I'd need something like what you posted and the marina would have to be nice as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Not quite the same but I lived in an RV for a year after moving cross country and waiting to find/close on a house.

Are you single? The RV life was tight quarters for a family. We made due because we had a "yard" and a playground right there.

Everything has to have a specific place and has to be put back when done or there isn't room to do something else.

Have you looked into marina fees? We were paying almost as much in lot fees as a small apartment cost in the area, granted we weren't under any contracts/leases though.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Not much different than living in an RV.
Been there, done that, only do it when I have to.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
If you are unfamiliar with boats, you are in for a big surprise.

Boats are holes in the water that you dump money into. Living on a boat, even one just tied to the dock, is an exercise in futility. You will be playing whack-a-mole to problems and it is literally a labor of love. Water destroys everything. Your heart has to be into it, or you will just be discouraged. Marinas everywhere are full of boats with discouraged owners, and it shows.

Take that into consideration with marina fees, insurance, and the price of diesel fuel and I think you find that this turns into a very expensive dream. YachtWorld is full of broken, expensive dreams.

But, if you have your heart set on it go for it. Get a survey on any boat you are considering, educate yourself so you know what you are getting into, and then enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Don Johnson has. I was on a 35' sailboat all around the keys for two weeks as a teenager. I had a blast. This one looks the business, very nice.

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not quite the same but I lived in an RV for a year after moving cross country and waiting to find/close on a house.

Are you single? The RV life was tight quarters for a family. We made due because we had a "yard" and a playground right there.

Everything has to have a specific place and has to be put back when done or there isn't room to do something else.

Have you looked into marina fees? We were paying almost as much in lot fees as a small apartment cost in the area, granted we weren't under any contracts/leases though.
Single, but have my son during the summers.

The boat above is the one I am going to be looking at, an old co-worker is selling it, hes a dealer (it was his before he sold it to current owner). He used to live on it with his wife and 2 kids and 4 pets, for 2 years, lol. I think he he could manage I might be able to on my own.

already priced out the fees and everyting just waiting on the ins company to get back to me.

I have 2 years left here, at least. I would rather shell out money to "buy" this, than $2k a month for rent. At least I can sell the boat if/when I decide to move. Its already 30 years old so the value wont depreciate much anymore than it already has.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Single, but have my son during the summers.

The boat above is the one I am going to be looking at, an old co-worker is selling it, hes a dealer (it was his before he sold it to current owner). He used to live on it with his wife and 2 kids and 4 pets, for 2 years, lol. I think he he could manage I might be able to on my own.

already priced out the fees and everyting just waiting on the ins company to get back to me.

I have 2 years left here, at least. I would rather shell out money to "buy" this, than $2k a month for rent. At least I can sell the boat if/when I decide to move. Its already 30 years old so the value wont depreciate much anymore than it already has.

If you are going to be buying a boat, buy a houseboat. You get a lot more space, and it's typically cheaper to buy.

Do you have any boating experience at all?

I essentially lived on a boat for a few summers and now I design them for a living.

·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have any boating experience at all?
I have some, but mainly freshwater stuff.

I have planned on fishing as well, not sure a houseboat will work well with that.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I have some, but mainly freshwater stuff.

I have planned on fishing as well, not sure a houseboat will work well with that.

Find someone that actually knows what they are doing and buy them dinner and beer on a weekly basis to have them teach you.

Learn your knots.

Learn how to drive your boat well, and learn how to do it with only one engine (because one WILL go out, always at the worst possible time such as in a storm while docking).

I was 14 and was driving other peoples boats for them (up to 70ft) because they didn't know shit about how to drive it.

Sadly, those people are few and far between.

·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The general guideline is about 10%, but a lot do end up costing more.
yea that seems a little more reasonable. $30K a year just to maintain the boat while docked at a marina 75% of time seemed a little excessive.

·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Find someone that actually knows what they are doing and buy them dinner and beer on a weekly basis to have them teach you.

Learn your knots.

Learn how to drive your boat well, and learn how to do it with only one engine (because one WILL go out, always at the worst possible time such as in a storm while docking).

I was 14 and was driving other peoples boats for them (up to 70ft) because they didn't know shit about how to drive it.

Sadly, those people are few and far between.
Got that covered already. Remember I live in Key West and one of my friends just got her boat capt license for charter boats. :)

I've already asked her to go with me if and when I buy it to help out.. Id have to go to Ft Myers to get it and drive it back to Key West.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Got that covered already. Remember I live in Key West and one of my friends just got her boat capt license for charter boats. :)

I've already asked her to go with me if and when I buy it to help out.. Id have to go to Ft Myers to get it and drive it back to Key West.

Fair enough. I only mentioned it because 95% of boat owners don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Biggest thing I can advise you of is keep up with the maintenance. Shit goes to hell very fast on a boat. Yearly buffing/waxing, new bottom paint every few years, preventative maintenance on all equipment, polishing metal, and stripping and recoating wood every few years.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My sister did it in Ca. It wasn't her boat, but rather one she rented (there were a lot of them out there like that apparently). She loved it, but it was just her.

The one advantage you will have over renting is you can write off interest and such on your tax return since you will be living on it. Its treated like a home. Couple things are musts though. A nice sound system and a striper pole.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
yea that seems a little more reasonable. $30K a year just to maintain the boat while docked at a marina 75% of time seemed a little excessive.

They can say 10% if they like , I would factor for 20 . It can all go very expensive with a boat very quickly . Clatter a prop off a floating something in the water and need to dry dock .. Start counting . When I was doing marine nonsense say something like that happened .
I would arrive .. £200 call out .. I would get in the water with scuba gear to do an inspection .. £300 .. Problems other than a bit of rope wrapped round it or something simple .. Too the dry dock .. £40 per meter lifting charge to dry dock and then £50 per day it was in dry dock . Takes a week for the prop to be removed , replaced or refaced .. £1000 low estimate .. add labour charges.. £45 per hour ..then £40 per meter to lift the boat back into the water.. various sundries , pins , nut , grease replace that worn anode give it's bottom a jet wash to clean the sea cooler .. blah blah £300 . and all of a sudden that little fishing trip just got expensive .

And the real bastard .. you could go out the next week and do the same thing again . .. and I have seen that happen .. more than once .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts