Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had surgery on tuesday for the first time in my life, it was a crazy experience. So now I have stitches, and I dunno what to look for, I think the nurses told me what to watch out for but I was too drugged up to remember, I just remember them telling me about swelling, its normal, but if becomes gigantic then I should go back.

Well the swelling has gone down alot in the past 3 days, and he told me that it would be normal for a little blood to come from the stitches. But my question is about infection, I am pretty sure its not infected, but what should I look for just in case? Will it turn green or yellow or something lol? My friend had surgery a few weeks ago and his got infected so I was just wondernig?

Has anyone ever had a wound get infected? What do you do to fix it? Will I have to go back to the hospital if it happens or will I be able to fix it with some over the counter stuff? Like neosporin or something?

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Nice first post on SBN. :twofinger

I don't think this is the best place to be asking but I'll give it a shot since I had Surgery before.

Step one - Take your medicine.
Step two - Fall asleep and forget about it.
Step 3 - Call a doctor if it gets worse.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have sex if it starts to hurt.... When I had my knee surgery it started to hurt and I smashed off a few chicks and felt 100%!! it's like a natural pain killer!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, actually I've been a member of sbn for over 3 years, but recently I guess they totally redid the site and I had to re-register. Thanks for the info, I called the doc and they said the same thing.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah I've had surgery done last October. I was wide awake for it too and watched the whole thing.

Just keep taking your antibiotics.

Here's mine :D

+/- 50 stitches on middle finger after they did a search for the ends of my tendons and then re-attached them. (Be careful with knives).

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
damn!! looks like you sliced yourself up pretty good there......

·
Registered
584 Posts
those are some sick looking pictures

redman223 said:
I had surgery on tuesday for the first time in my life, it was a crazy experience. So now I have stitches, and I dunno what to look for, I think the nurses told me what to watch out for but I was too drugged up to remember, I just remember them telling me about swelling, its normal, but if becomes gigantic then I should go back.

Well the swelling has gone down alot in the past 3 days, and he told me that it would be normal for a little blood to come from the stitches. But my question is about infection, I am pretty sure its not infected, but what should I look for just in case? Will it turn green or yellow or something lol? My friend had surgery a few weeks ago and his got infected so I was just wondernig?

Has anyone ever had a wound get infected? What do you do to fix it? Will I have to go back to the hospital if it happens or will I be able to fix it with some over the counter stuff? Like neosporin or something?
the only surgery that I have had was the Wisdom teeth extraction (with full knock-out), so that doesn't count :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are several things you can look for as far as if it is getting infected. One is if it starts to swell again and get inflamed. It will start to get puffy and red. Another is if it starts to smell.

I have had surgery a total of 5 times. Eye surgery when I was 4 due to being born with a lazy eye, hurnia operation when 12 due to being born with that as well, jaw wired shut when 14 due to being a passenger when my friend drove us off a 10 foot drop on a go-kart, wisdom teeth pulled at 14 and having said wires removed from mouth, and ankle surgery due to braking my ankle at the age of 20.

Where are the stitches? You can put betadine on most areas to keep infections out and keep putting triple antibiotic cream on the stitches as well. The main thing you want to due is to keep changing the dressing every day, if possible.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Yes, had surgery a little over a year ago. 50+ stitches (I'm low balling), good painkillers, lots of antibiotics, and anesthesia that made me sicker than shit.

All in all the advice about keeping up with the antibiotics is best. I didn't keep doped up on painkillers but I also have a fairly high threshold and didn't need them. Your mileage will vary.

Infections will be a drastic change of color from the norm. If you're turning a tad purple in the area in question it's mild and you should get to the doc to check it out. Once it's green or some other really funky color see the doc IMMEDIATLY (as in a day or so ago immediatly) and start poppin antibiotics like candy.

All in all if you follow your docs instructions, a call only takes a couple seconds and they're more than happy to let you know what you have to do if it's not on the bottles, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had 3 ligaments replaced in my right knee back in 1997 (acl, mcl, and pcl), with 48 staples holding everything together. infections will be rare as long as you take care of your wound, take your antibiotics, and keep it clean using antibacterial soap (like lever2000). what kind of surgery did you have, btw?

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you have any questions about it being infected call the ER or better yet go to the ER. You don't want to mess around with infections. I work in the O.R. and a bad infection could cost you a body part or even worse... your life. Get it checked out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts