Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a half dozen rear tire punctures over the years. I was able to fix all but one with a repair kit, at least enough to get someplace where I could deal with it - the one other time I was able to get a nearby shop to pick up the bike for me.

None of them were dangerous. - I felt the tire go soft right away and was able to stop easily. A front tire sure seems like it would be pucker time. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
In six years I've only had one puncture, but I didn't notice until I got home and saw the roofing nail in my rear tire, didn't cause any pressure loss.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
365 Posts
Never had the front go totally flat but have had a nail in it and cause it to be very low (15psi). It felt like the front was on gravel around corners.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes,and it's virtually unrideable.Just turning across a speed bump or into a parking lot with a bit of a lip will just about put you down.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Several. It's not something you can keep riding with IMHO, whereas you might try to limp a couple of blocks home with a flat rear. The hard part is getting stopped, as the vibration and shaking gets worse as you slow down. Weight to the rear, rear brake only, as you get down to 20mph try to get stopped fast rather than coasting down. Kind of hold your hands open but very stiff to let the bars shake but not get out of control.

KeS

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
when I bought the F4i, the front was at 12, and the back was at about 8. Thank Christ I bought it from a guy who lived about 4 blocks from me. That was miserable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few years ago,I was riding my Triumph Bonney home about midnight and hit a muffler laying sideways in the road(going about 50,the Lucas lights aren't very bright)and when I came back down,the front was cut and flat.It shook its head a couple times and i just backed off on the throttle and touched the back brake to stop.It was worse trying to ride home with the flat than the blowout.Hope i never get one on the R6

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a front puncture whilst on a motorway, scary but managed to get it stopped on the hard shoulder without crashing.

Also had a valve let go on one of the race bikes , result broken scafoid and exploded knuckle to my thumb along with torn and stretched tendens:eek:mg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ran over another crashed racebike once and within 3 turns my bike was nearly impossible to turn, slowed to about half pace and made it back to the pits for a new tire. The one on the bike had a gash an inch in the sidewall up into the tread area about an inch and a half- the all the way through area was about 1/4 inch long

Once on a trip back from Texas I got a flat about 100 miles from the next city around 10 pm, rode it the ~100 miles and then waited til morning to find a dealer that I could get a new tire from. They aren't too bad at speed but as said get under say about 20-25 mph or any attempt at turning and its miserably dangerous.
The only other front tire flat I had was when A Menards truck spilled a box of 1.5" roofing nails all over the road right in front of me and both tires were now more like ice studded tires

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've had three front tires flat and the rear tire... More times than I care to remember.

The first time I had the front tire go was at night, very close to home, I hit some road debree and it broke the tire carcass right before taking an off ramp. I must have been doing 40mph and it felt like the bike was trying to lean WAY too much to the right, like it was trying to lay on its side, I managed to stop using the rear brake before the front tire was completely flat. I was very close to home and I pushed the bike home.

The second time It was a bike with a tube type tires and spoke wheels, I felt that sensation of having a tire very low on air, but that was in the city just as I got to a stop light, and again, very close to home. Once I stopped I could see the tire was about to go flat and I limped it home.

The third time, on my SV1KS, it wasn't close to home...

We had rode from Mexico City to Acapulco, had a couple beers in the pool and then we were heading back to Mexico City. As we were getting out of Acapulco and on to the tolled Interstate I changed lanes to get to the toll booth with less cars, and I felt it, the steering was too heavy and I knew what that meant, I signaled my friends to stop...

I don't know what I hit, but there was a hole in the tire. I couldn't find a nail or anything, there was just a hole in the tire. Managed to get it temporarily fixed with a plug and got back home. Then I took the tire to get patched from the inside but the carcass was done for.

The scariest flat tire was when a valve stem broke on the SV1K as I was doing 125mph! Ever since that moment I always put aluminum valve stems on my bikes when I change the tires.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I had the valve stem on the front start leaking once ion the interstate.........very unnerving at 75. I've never had a stem vent like that before :(

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Only once, happened in Nov of last year. Was last in a small group that stopped at a stop sign; pulled odd and heard a pop, looked back, nothing in the road, then about 200 meters the bike felt sluggish in the front until I couldn't steer anymore. I had run over a nail. Ride was done, a waste of a tire that had maybe 400 miles on it.

Check outMy blog

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
The day after I bought my F3, I was going around an off ramp and the bike suddenly straightened up. It was totally flat and ended up looking in the phone book for the nearest motorcycle shop. The only tire they had in stock was a Flintstone-era BT56. I then proceeded to the twisties in W.Va. where I wrecked shortly after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts